Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Req] What should I get in New York

• 29-06-2008 2:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭

Hey Everyone,

I am wondering what are the things people think I should get while I am over in New York and where I should get them. As I am looking for bargins.

I understand it depends on what I like, however if you could tell me what you would get and the experiences you have had in getting bargins there then I would be better informed.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

It really does depend on what you want.

My dad got a great deal on a camcorder in B&H.

Abercrombie and Fitch is always popular to bring home.

If I was there now, id probably buy a good digital Camera.

Peanut butter M&Ms! Yeah, id buy those too!

If your a college going guy, humours T-shirts are all the rage! Theres a few shops on 5th near the empire state building that have good prices on family guy, or humourous t-shirts. The corner of 5th ave and 55th street if memory serves me right.

Century 21 isnt bad if you get to it at the right time. It can be a complete mess, or... similar to pennys mess. But good deals on clothes if you can sift throught all the crap. Thats down by ground zero... AFAIR

Anything you really looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Yeah, get me a macbook, i'll pay ya when ya gat back! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

If you want bargains, and have time, get out to Woodbury Common. All day trip, but well worth it. 220 outlet stores including all the big names such as Polo, DKNY, Hilfiger, Adidas, Nike, Levis etc. Way,way cheaper than anything here. i got 4 pairs of Levis for $80.

If your doing requests....

peanutbutter M&Ms

whiterebel wrote: »
    If you want bargains, and have time, get out to Woodbury Common. All day trip, but well worth it. 220 outlet stores including all the big names such as Polo, DKNY, Hilfiger, Adidas, Nike, Levis etc. Way,way cheaper than anything here. i got 4 pairs of Levis for $80.
    True true! Parents went there! Its a mini frickin town there! Well worth it if you need clothes. I unfortunatly went to NY not really needing to buy any clothes... didnt stop me, but slowed me down a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Jersey gardens is alot closer to NYC being 30 mins on a bus from Port Authority. It's right beside Newark airport. Costs either $11 or $17 return. It's the same idea as Woodbury Common except it's alot quieter. Took me 7 hours to walk around it and I didn't even go into a tenth of the shops!

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

jersey gardens is must! was in nyc in march..went to jersey gardens got 2 tommy hilifiger jumpers and 2 pairs of jeans for less than $100. footlocker you can be lucky in too..got 2 pairs of nike runners (running ones!) for$90 they cost bout €70 a pair here!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

After living in New York for a few years, as said above, Woodbury Common's is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Here is the list of things I am thinking of getting. But if there is a good bargin on something and I can fit it then I will buy it also.

Electric Razor
    New IPod or Itouch 32GB (Where would I get a cheap 32 gig i touch?)
    Gaming Laptop (XPS or something like that)
    IPhone (Very dependent on not being tied to a contract)
    Mac Book Pro (Very dependent on price)
    Suit or Suits
    Watch
    General Clothes

I am open to suggestions on other stuff though.

Sorry cant bring people back stuff as I have to bring back stuff for my brother.

cronos wrote: »
    Sorry cant bring people back stuff as I have to bring back stuff for my brother.
    Even a bag of Peanut butter M&Ms?

Suites are pretty cheap if ya find the right place to buy.

Everything else seems pretty good to get. Good deals on em all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Even a bag of Peanut butter M&Ms?

LOL I was more thinking of the person asking me to bring back a mac book pro. I would imagine that M and M's would melt. (I suppose they only melt in your mouth :P )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

HINT HINT Peanut butter M&Ms were 2 big bags for 6 dollars in Duane Reade when I was there about 2 weeks ago. (and no they won't melt)

+1 for Jersey Gardens

-1 for Century 21, you would need the patience of 20 saints and its a mecca for pickpocketers.

Get your discount card in the Macy's , gives you 11% off in the store. (show your passport in the visitors centre on the mezzanine level)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Champers

For a huge selection of cosmetics head to Sephora or Duane Reade stores - they are all over the place and are so much cheaper than home!
    Especially posh shampoo's! (Redken) are a third of the price they are here.
    Also recommend Jersey Gardens! not as long a bus journey to get there, as going to woodbury commons - Big Tip - if you plan on doing some serious shopping in the outlets bring a trolley suitcase with you - trust me if you don't bring one you will end up buying one there anyway!
    Enjoy New York is Fab!

I actually prefer upstate New York to the bustling city, lots to do.

I'm going over on the 18th, I was interested in getting a cheap iphone since the new ones are coming out, but I don't know much about them, where would I buy one cheap without a contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭FrCrilly

Hey Everyone,

I am wondering what are the things people think I should get while I am over in New York and where I should get them. As I am looking for bargins.

I understand it depends on what I like, however if you could tell me what you would get and the experiences you have had in getting bargins there then I would be better informed.

I've heard of standard Levi's costing $15 a pair in Walmart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

shortys94 wrote: »
    I actually prefer upstate New York to the bustling city, lots to do.
    Where would you recommend - Albany? My uncle used to live in Olean, which is upstate New York, but I found it to be very boring with feck all to do. I would like to visit the Catskill mountains though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

Here is the list of things I am thinking of getting. But if there is a good bargin on something and I can fit it then I will buy it also.

Electric Razor
    New IPod or Itouch 32GB (Where would I get a cheap 32 gig i touch?)
    Gaming Laptop (XPS or something like that)
    IPhone (Very dependent on not being tied to a contract)
    Mac Book Pro (Very dependent on price)
    Suit or Suits
    Watch
    General Clothes

I am open to suggestions on other stuff though.

Most iPod prices are generally the same all over New York but don't forget sales tax gets added on at the till.

I got a Watch last December after an exhaustive search around Manhattan in Macy's they had a 33% one day sale on and coupled with your 11%International discount is a massive saving.

aaf wrote: »
    Where would you recommend - Albany? My uncle used to live in Olean, which is upstate New York, but I found it to be very boring with feck all to do. I would like to visit the Catskill mountains though.

I actually went to the Catskill Mountains while living there, its really nice.

But you have to research where you stay as many motels etc have elderly people staying in them as the place seems to attract them and it can be boring sometimes if you don't book an exciting hotel with things to do. The scenery is great though.

Otherwise, the malls in upstate New York are usually good, but I guess it depends on what you like. Leaving the city there is more theme parks etc, like Mountain Creek which is a nice water park, but hen there is six flags which is generally more popular.

Most of the attractions are human developed because there isn't much culture to the place, but I suppose if you don't want to research your trip it would be easier to stay in the city, I just found that it can get a bit broing at times, shops everywhere. Again I think it would be worth having a day or two in upstate new york, as there are plenty of great restaurants and things to do like the theme parks, but I think its one of those things you have to look into.

Kayaking etc is a nice one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Email your hotel before you go, tell them you will be expecting some mail for your business trip, ask if it is ok for it to be delivered in advance of your stay.

Then go online to shop and get it delievered really cheaply, you will also save on tax by buying stuff out of state.

More time to do other stuff on your hols.

I wonder if there is a US equivalent to bargain alerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭sharkDawg

Suites are pretty cheap if ya find the right place to buy.

Hotel, bathroom or three piece? Either way I doubt they'll fit in a suitcase :p

• Advertisement

sharkDawg wrote: »
    Hotel, bathroom or three piece? Either way I doubt they'll fit in a suitcase :p
    I mean sweets!

Or do I?

By the by, suits are cheap enough also, like the sweets, find the right place for a good deal!

Advertisement