Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorcycle noob needs a few questions answered

• 29-06-2008 5:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

First of all hello

As the title says I'm a motorcycle noob and need some help.
    With the way the car testing has gone I
    dont want the hassle of the test etc. Anyone that drives a car I'm sure you can understand what I mean. Anyways I haven't got a motorcycle or even have a provisional drivers license and I was wondering which would be the best bike to get for learning to drive on and for using on a day to day basis to get to college and to work neither of which are more then 30km away from my home. Also I don't want to get a moped or a scooter. I want the motorbike to I will say it look the business.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Evolute

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If the look of the bike is iportant you need to let us know what style of bike you like.
    Sports bike, trail, cruiser etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Presuming you're youngish (under 25) motorbike insurance is wicked expensive, much more so than car insurance. Just something to be aware of! Cheap motoring it is often not. It is a great timesaver in traffic which is why I'm a motorcyclist. I save at least 10 hours a week on the commute over a car. 20 days a year of extra life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Waves to Evolute... you forgot to add getting to airsoft skirmishes as one of your bike uses ;)

Looking at getting a bike soon myself, get the provisional licence/learner's permit sorted first anyway, and you'll want to look at getting some training, just spent the day doing training with David Lyons down in Brittas last friday, definitely recommend him, had a great day. 350euro for the day (9am-3pm) including use of one of his bikes.

I was looking at a Yamaha YBR 125 myself for a first bike, but after the training last week I'm thinking of going with a CB250 instead now for the extra bit of power on bigger roads. Any of the racing spec bikes are going to be expensive to insure, but something like the YBR/CB/Bros etc... are cheap enough, i've found Quinn to be the cheapest so far, Aon were ridiculously expensive and Carole Nash wouldn't quote me because of both age and lack of experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Well it seems us airsofters are taking over this forum, or at least this thread! :D

Anyway, may I suggest this Evolute... (Lady is not included)

BossHoss.jpg

Insurance is about €1 million, and it gets about 2mpg, but damn it's worth it if you want a bike that "looks the business". Did I mention it has a 6 litre engine and only needs 3 gears (one is a reverse gear)? Awesomeness on two wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

kdouglas wrote: »
    Waves to Evolute... you forgot to add getting to airsoft skirmishes as one of your bike uses ;)

Looking at getting a bike soon myself, get the provisional licence/learner's permit sorted first anyway, and you'll want to look at getting some training, just spent the day doing training with David Lyons down in Brittas last friday, definitely recommend him, had a great day. 350euro for the day (9am-3pm) including use of one of his bikes.

I was looking at a Yamaha YBR 125 myself for a first bike, but after the training last week I'm thinking of going with a CB250 instead now for the extra bit of power on bigger roads. Any of the racing spec bikes are going to be expensive to insure, but something like the YBR/CB/Bros etc... are cheap enough, i've found Quinn to be the cheapest so far, Aon were ridiculously expensive and Carole Nash wouldn't quote me because of both age and lack of experience.

I'm sorting out the provisional license tomorrow when I get up. I was looking at the cb250 but it may be a bit expensive to insure or is that just me thinking that? for all of you who are wondering I'm 18. Also any websites good for the sale of motorbikes would be quite handy as I'm using google and its only giving me websites with a very limited selection of bikes.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Evolute wrote: »
    I'm sorting out the provisional license tomorrow when I get up. I was looking at the cb250 but it may be a bit expensive to insure or is that just me thinking that? for all of you who are wondering I'm 18. Also any websites good for the sale of motorbikes would be quite handy as I'm using google and its only giving me websites with a very limited selection of bikes.
    Thanks

You won't be able to drive a CBR250 without a restriction (33bhp) and the insurance on one of those will kill you, especially at 18.

CB250, not CBR250, the cb250 is only 20bhp and a fair bit cheaper to insure.

I was browsing around and I was looking at a Honda NSR 125cc anyone have any insight about the quality of the bike or any bad traits that follow them?

Anything with an R in the name is gonna be costly to insure :)

On a CB 250 (CB, not CBR), my insurance would be 802euro, on an NSR125 it's 838, not too much of a difference, but obviously the 250 is a bigger bike.

Really depends on you're preference and licence limitation though, did you get an A or A1 provisional licence?

Edit: Oh, and if you're gonna go for a racing style 125, i'd definitely consider the Yamaha YZF-R125, Only out this year as far as I know, so you'd have to buy a new one, at about 3800euro though, they're not cheap, but it's a lovely looking bike :)

I was looking at quinn for insurance they gave me a quote of less then 1500 on my own policy and it was for a Honda CB250 not a cbr

• Advertisement
Advertisement