Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can we improve AH

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

what I did there was a serious workaround, the more common ones are replacing a vowel for an accented vowel like fúck, or swapping the letters around. all I'm saying is the swear filter does cut down on the swearing, in the same way a filter for yore ma would cut down on the use of it, even though there are work arounds

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Have a minimum of 10 characters per post, that would stop "+1" and "Yore Ma" posts. Other than that I think AH works very well as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The Bollox wrote: »
    what I did there was a serious workaround, the more common ones are replacing a vowel for an accented vowel like fúck, or swapping the letters around. all I'm saying is the swear filter does cut down on the swearing, in the same way a filter for yore ma would cut down on the use of it, even though there are work arounds

yea, i know what your saying bollox (lol sorry i had to :D) i just dont see what all the fuss is about the whole "yore ma" thing? Its used so much now its hardly considered an insult any more.. so what its annoying to some or most people.. well, lifes a bitch and if a simple "yore ma" in a thread annoys other users, i would think people have little in life to be irritated about and i envy them.
    Simply put, if someone uses a "yore ma" in a thread where there is a decent discussion going on, just make a mental note of the posters name and put them into the "that poster is a gobshoite" list.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

6th wrote: »
    Have a minimum of 10 characters per post, that would stop "+1" and "Yore Ma" posts. Other than that I think AH works very well as it is.

.. but there are only 6 characters in "banned" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Yes both mods do lock threads they deem unsuitable for whatever reasons so passin the buck like that isn't reasonable to be fair. Again i have no major issues with the majority of threads just some.

im not entirely sure who you are talking to.
    biko wrote: »
    I'm not sure how the modding in AH works, if there are shifts or if AH mods just mod whenever they happen to be online?
    Anyway, night and morning time often seems to be pretty modless (also quite poster-less as well) but often enough crap threads (aka JigsawGirl) don't seem to be fixed before mid-day. This could also be because a thread is discussed in the mod forum before action is taken.
    Spreading mods geographically ensures someone will probably be online at any given time of day.

there are no shifts, and there is no set time for different mods to be on line.
    we dont tend to discuss threads before action is taken by an individual mod for the simple reason taht we are only mods, not workers.

as for spreading mods geographically, im in australia. is tha geographically spread enough for you :)

im sure the world will not end if a thread you deem unacceptable is not dealt with immediately.

again, we dont police the intellectual content of threads.
    if they are crap, you have only yourselves to blame.

it seems to me that still after all these years, the biggest complaint about AH is about the content of posts and threads.
    unfortunately a stupidity filter has yet to be invented that i agree with, so youre stuck with each others thoughts.

unless someone has a good idea?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

im not entirely sure who you are talking to.

Myself most of the time. No worries. AH is fine the way it is, seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

snyper wrote: »
    yea, i know what your saying bollox (lol sorry i had to :D) i just dont see what all the fuss is about the whole "yore ma" thing? Its used so much now its hardly considered an insult any more.. so what its annoying to some or most people.. well, lifes a bitch and if a simple "yore ma" in a thread annoys other users, i would think people have little in life to be irritated about and i envy them.
    Simply put, if someone uses a "yore ma" in a thread where there is a decent discussion going on, just make a mental note of the posters name and put them into the "that poster is a gobshoite" list.

Also called your ignore list.

The only problem I have with AH is that seom "serious" threads pop up in there especially about big issues that really should be somewhere else. In the last month we had a load of lisbon threads which seemed to be started bceause you can have a poll in AH but not in politics, in fact there is still a Lisbon thread going on.

There was also one regarding the new driving laws that are coming in tomorrow, when there was already threads in the motors and learning to drive forums. I know alot of threads in AH could be suited to another forum but sometimes it seems like threads are started in AH just to get a bigger viewing, or so people can avoid the so called "stricter" forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

snyper wrote: »

it's not that I find it offensive, I see it in the same light as Don't Stop Believin': I used to think it was brilliant, but now has far too much air time for me to appreciate it any more and I end up faceplanting every time I see/hear it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Problem with that is it filters out a lot of stuff that isn't the problem too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Make boards.ie t-shirts with 'Yore Ma On Tour, Internets Serious Business'.

Saw some Norwegian choir wearing their Ireland tour t-shirts this morning.

• Advertisement

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Problem with that is it filters out a lot of stuff that isn't the problem too.

Like? If there is something that needs saying then its not hard to stretch it a bit (10 characters is hardly stretching) but it would put off those crap posts like "lol", "+1" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Like? If there is something that needs saying then its not hard to stretch it a bit (10 characters is hardly stretching) but it would put off those crap posts like "lol", "+1" etc.

Like anything that is less than ten characters and isn't an overused catchphrase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Prob end up in such posts like

+100000000

lol lol lol lol

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Prob end up in such posts like

+100000000

lol lol lol lol

or
    yore ma...

honestly, it'd very easy to get around for people with inane comments to make and will just make them more inane such as alan suggests with lol being repeated but it'll annoy people who might have legitimate replies that just happen to be short.

eg someone asked an either/or question the other day and i responded "the latter", which was the correct answer to his question. possibly a bad example because it's exactly 10 characters and would have been fine :D

Yes .... a bad example.

Not every lol poster will bother with multiple lols so I still think it will cut it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Yes .... a bad example.

Not every lol poster will bother with multiple lols so I still think it will cut it down.

it might cut it down but imo the annoying factor will outweigh the weeding out idiots factor

another example: somebody quotes an article or something similar. currently the only requirement is one character so i quite often see a quote with a single . below it. a perfectly legitimate one character post. they'll have to start posting .......... for no real reason

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Have a minimum of 10 characters per post, that would stop "+1" and "Yore Ma" posts.
    Yore ma!!!1!1

C'mon, 6th, you've been around the intarweb long enough to know that the kind of approach you're advocating is like a red flag to a bull ... there will always be people who will see it as a challenge to find ways around it, and will flood the place with "clever" posts just to show they can. My guess is that it would exacerbate the problem, not reduce it.

For that matter, maybe I just haven't been around AH as much, but I thought it had died down a bit anyway?

EDIT: um, kind of repetitive, actually ... must remember to refresh! :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The minimum character limit won't work. Someone will type "lol", hit post replt and they'll get an error message saying "A post must be at least 10 characters long". Then they'll just add extra lols or whatever.

The best way to take care of these lol, +1, yore ma posts is if you notice someone doing quite a bit then report one of their posts and tell us that they are using it quite a bit. If they over use it then we'll take action. I've warned and infracted people for over using "yore ma".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

seriously, why not just stop using the phrases, and ignoring anyone who does?

anyway, im going to leave this thread open for a few weeks, and will check back every now and then to see whats turned up. as always, I will attempt to answer as best I can. if we do get something that i think is reasonable then we may even try to implement it.

so far, i hope people appreciate that i havent really seen anything yet that hasnt been mentioned before, or that some of what people are asking really isnt feasible (like asing mods to be in different geographies to allow for 24 hr coverage. its a web site people, not a call centre :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Sherifu wrote: »
    Well, considering there's no images in AH that's already done.

Why would you like them stopped? Seen too many of them?
    far too many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Alan Ford wrote: »
    far too many.
    It's not that surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've only one suggestion and it's to crack down on people quoting long posts and then adding a one line comment.

+1 has it's uses but if everyone just quotes loads of text and adds little then it's a nightmare to read as you have to scroll down so much more. A pet hate of mine.

This is a mild example, I've seen far, far worse and it's not even a good example but it's from this thread on Page 3
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56403987#post56403987

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Sherifu wrote: »
    It's not that surprising.
    i meant all yours:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

micmclo wrote: »
    I've only one suggestion and it's to crack down on people quoting long posts and then adding a one line comment.

I was going to agree with you until I noticed you cited one of my posts as an example :(

I used the quick reply so I didn't have a choice of what part of the post I quoted, and as it was in response to a certain post I decided to quote it. Most of the OP was relevant to quote anyway.

I don't know how popular this would be, but it would be possible to set a maximum height for quoted posts - e.g. 300 px. Anything over that would be truncated unless you choose to expand it with an icon. I don't know if I've explained that too well...

I hope I have achieved an acceptable quote to post ratio this time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

eoin_s wrote: »
    I was going to agree with you until I noticed you cited one of my posts as an example :(

Was haven’t a go, yours was the only example I could find in this thread.
    And I did mention it wasn’t a good example. :)

But you have to agree that there are mega long posts out there and posters quote the entire thing and post some one line comment like “I agree”.
    Or they don’t know how to quote so they quote a mega long post and highlight some parts in bold. Not only is that ugly to read but it’s means everyone has to scroll for aaaaaaaaaages.

Banning offense tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

micmclo wrote: »
    Was haven’t a go, yours was the only example I could find in this thread.
    And I did mention it wasn’t a good example. :)

But you have to agree that there are mega long posts out there and posters quote the entire thing and post some one line comment like “I agree”.
    Or they don’t know how to quote so they quote a mega long post and highlight some parts in bold. Not only is that ugly to read but it’s means everyone has to scroll for aaaaaaaaaages.

Banning offense tbh

I agree. Sorry, couldn't help myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Relevant

I only have a few posts. Alot of the time i see threads that i'd be interested in posting in, only to have every thread ruined by certain people posting pointless one or two word replies effectively putting down the op or the topic. It seems to be the same few people all the time, i'm not talking about "your ma" type comments, i mean things like:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56445427&postcount=2

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56458183&postcount=4

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56450595&postcount=5

I hope this doesn't seem like an attack on one poster. Just so happens that it is him i ofund in three random threads.

So what if you have 10,000+ posts. If you don't like the topic don't post in it just to up your post count!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Relevant wrote: »
    I only have a few posts. Alot of the time i see threads that i'd be interested in posting in, only to have every thread ruined by certain people posting pointless one or two word replies effectively putting down the op or the topic. It seems to be the same few people all the time, i'm not talking about "your ma" type comments, i mean things like:

I hope this doesn't seem like an attack on one poster. Just so happens that it is him i ofund in three random threads.

So what if you have 10,000+ posts. If you don't like the topic don't post in it just to up your post count!
    I was gonna pick apart your post for the garbage it is but it's late and Friday and i'm gonna go home instead. Have a good weekend. .o/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Relevant wrote: »

I had 10,000 posts once, but I lost them.

The thing to do is just ignore the one word replies and post away.

If someone regularly annoys you, just put them on ignore.
    You can do that by messing around with the settings in your user cp. It's there somewhere.

The most important thing to remember is that After Hours is not to be taken seriously (for the most part).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Hey how about some new interesting threads? It's virtually the same front page as it was when I logged in yesterday evening, just with more pages of replies added to each thread. Boring.

Obviously I could start a new thread myself but I'm more interested in posting smart remarks and/or thinly veiled insults in someone elses'...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement