Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can we improve AH

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Wertz wrote: »
    Hey how about some new interesting threads? It's virtually the same front page as it was when I logged in yesterday evening, just with more pages of replies added to each thread. Boring.

Obviously I could start a new thread myself but I'm more interested in posting smart remarks and/or thinly veiled insults in someone elses'...
    What about my thread helping people to save money? I think I started that either last night or the wee hours of the morning. It must be good because I created it and I'm really funny. You should PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I had in fact read that thread and thought of contributing to it, but decided that it was against the country's better interests to make such information available on a public forum. How are Irish businesses supposed to survive in this delicate economic climate if they can't gouge customers?

PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Wertz wrote: »
    Hey how about some new interesting threads? It's virtually the same front page as it was when I logged in yesterday evening, just with more pages of replies added to each thread. Boring.

Very interesting thread last night about "Anal Sex and Super Mario" - of course, it got locked.

And in another thread I mentioned the word "pomegranates" - all of a sudden reregholdsworth started THREE threads about fruit - all of which were locked.

AH is a strange place at 6 in the morning :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

"pomegranates" is a filthy euphemism for ass rape and you know it.

Wertz: giveth and thou shall receiveth. Er, I meant re: interesting threads, not ass rape. Honest.
    And you're wrong. With the amount of "zomg! world about to collapse <insert inane reason with option link> *shocked kneejerk reaction*" threads, page 1 is bound to be different. So nyerrr! (*sighs*)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

More links to naked wimmins that would put Slydice to shame.

That is all.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Okay, it just looked like the only thing that had noticably changed since yesterday evening was the number of replies to the threads in question; lol Coppers, Should boardsies be allowed...,ryanair blowjobs, dublin bouncers, alchol bill and a fair few others...obviously there have been new threads started in the interim, but they fall to page 2 and beyond rather quickly.
    I was kinda taking the piss with my other post, but TBH this is a "problem" I notice on AH in particular...people for the most part seem to prefer to drag a thread out to several pages, usually diverging from the original topic a bit or talking/arguing at one another, rather than start one themselves...not that there is anything wrong with long threads (unless you arrive late to something worthwhile), but the majority of threads on page 1 currently are into their 3rd+ page (set at 20 replies per page)...I dunno, maybe I'm too used to more fast moving off-topic forums...I tend to see this forum at a set time each evening; if you've been looking at it all day and/or night, it'll obviously have changed somewhat...maybe certain posters that frequent AH at this time of day/week happen to reply or bump those threads? I don't know...

*wanders off*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I like how AH is running these days, as they say, if it's not broke don't fix it.

After talking previously with the mods, I understand there's no need for image posting here. Absolutely no need whatsoever to have the thanks button working here either, something AH can definitely do without.

The Yore Ma thing has blown out of proportion and is being overused, but at times it can be hilarious so there's no need to axe it just yet imo. IBTL on the otherhand, is completely pointless and should be deleted on sight, and it's something that has been spreading that I would preferably like to see nipped in the bud (if possible).

Other than that, things seem to be fine :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Relevant wrote: »
    I hope this doesn't seem like an attack on one poster. Just so happens that it is him i ofund in three random threads.
    You'd be hard pressed to find a thread that he hasn't posted in. I reckon he's part of the matrix and is not actually a real person at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

SteveC wrote: »
    You'd be hard pressed to find a thread that he hasn't posted in. I reckon he's part of the matrix and is not actually a real person at all.
    You think that's air you're breathing?

Relevant wrote: »
    So what if you have 10,000+ posts. If you don't like the topic don't post in it just to up your post count!

Hey, you leave Sherifu alone. Sure he spams every topic he possibly can with a smiley/one to three word reply, but that's his gig! You don't see him ragging on you for not posting a lot, do you?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

What about my thread helping people to save money? I think I started that either last night or the wee hours of the morning. It must be good because I created it and I'm really funny. You should PM me.

I think you're funny AC. <3

/yaks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Rb wrote: »
    Hey, you leave Sherifu alone. Sure he spams every topic he possibly can with a smiley/one to three word reply, but that's his gig! You don't see him ragging on you for not posting a lot, do you?!
    Welcome back Rb. <3 I'll try to keep it Relevant.

Sherifu wrote: »

/puts on gas mask

wby, wbh habh ybh ybh donbh tobh mybh airbh

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

The Yore Ma thing has blown out of proportion and is being overused, but at times it can be hilarious so there's no need to axe it just yet imo. IBTL on the otherhand, is completely pointless and should be deleted on sight, and it's something that has been spreading that I would preferably like to see nipped in the bud (if possible).
    The "IBTL" thing is indeed more annoyingly stupid than 'yore ma'.
    It derails a thread with a mindless acronym / constitutes backseat moderating. If there are legitimate reasons for the thread to be locked: ther's Reported Posts. If someone dislikes the thread, then they can make their point more intelligible. The worst 'yore ma' does in a thread is break the flow of discussion to some small extent.
    I think this should be something we should moderate (to about the level of 'yore ma' or a bit more.) Yeah/nay?

In before yore ma or some other nazi moderator locks the thread.

/suicide by joke... !!!!111one!1!

My humble opinion is AH is fine as it is. Why change a winning formula?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Karoma wrote: »
    The "IBTL" thing is indeed more annoyingly stupid than 'yore ma'.
    It derails a thread with a mindless acronym / constitutes backseat moderating. If there are legitimate reasons for the thread to be locked: ther's Reported Posts. If someone dislikes the thread, then they can make their point more intelligible. The worst 'yore ma' does in a thread is break the flow of discussion to some small extent.
    I think this should be something we should moderate (to about the level of 'yore ma' or a bit more.) Yeah/nay?
    Yeah absolutely, I'd be up for seeing anyone posting "IBTL" have the post removed and possibly infracted. It does absolutely nothing for a discussion except adds to ones post count, or as you said also, somewhat backseat moderation.

As you said, there's the report post function. If there's something so wrong with a thread that it'd cause people to believe it will/should be locked, let them report it and sit back and watch it get watched. IBTL, again, does nothing for anyone, it's not funny, it's not witty, it's fcking stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

..does nothing for anyone,not funny,not witty, fcking stupid.

A surprising moment of self awareness from RB

Wtf? If you've nothing to contribute then fúck off you failure of a troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

mass suicide would definitely improve after hours

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

How about both of you, shut up. RB, you're on thin ice as it is so if I were you I'd keep the head down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

kinkstr wrote: »
    how would that improve AH.
    suicide on AH would mean that youd never see AH improvements:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

kinkstr wrote: »
    /puts on gas mask

wby, wbh habh ybh ybh donbh tobh mybh airbh
    Welcome back Rb. <3 I'll try to keep it Relevant.
    I think you're funny AC. <3

/yaks

STFU you lot, and fcuk off from this thread.

this sort of crap is exactly what everyone complains of.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I think the problem is somewhat ironic.

What makes AH so popular is the diversity of the topics and the various responces to these threads that can come. Some topics are rather daft and will obviously contain daft answers, other threads can have a particularly serious underlining issue within that can turn into a decent debate. The thing that needs to be looked at however is that if you take most of the threads from AH, you could probably move them to various other forums within boards.ie where the topic will be discussed more seriously, but in effect there will be less of direct activity to it because unless the member has a particular interest in that area they wont be logging on.

Personally, i think AH's biggest problem is personal abuse. Im far from a saint, but u think that there are members that at every oppertunity will make a point of being negative toward members, im not referring to well known active members taking a jibe at another well known member, because in most cases its all in jest, however its when new members are given an unwarrented agressive response from long standing members, it discourages noe members from participating. I know it was certainly the first thing that struck me when i joined Boards.ie, was how agressive some members can be toward others particularly in AH. I joined in 2006, but didnt post very much until the end of 2007 because of this. On the face of it, it looks like there is malice within their comments, however i know that most of the time its not really meant to be.

I suppose the 2 points im trying to make is..

I think members should try to be nicer to newer members, first time posters if you will.

I think that the other difficulty, which is the ironic part that i had earlier suggested is that AH is popular because of its sometimes daft postings and variety of comments that wouldnt be tolerated in other forums.

I dont really have the answer other than, let the moderators decide what is acceptable and what is not, and perhaps because of its popularity and activity and also because of the difficulty of moderating a forum where there seems to be alot of "grey area" as to what is acceptable, i suggest perhaps an extra couple of moderators.

- Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Snyper wrote:
    I think members should try to be nicer to newer members, first time posters if you will.
    Indeed.
    We were all new once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

some of them more than once

you cant moderate niceness but people come here at the beginning and hang out;
    to an extent after hours is boards more than any other place and it would be nice if there was a more consistantly friendly vibe

but i like it any way

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Terry wrote: »
    Indeed.
    We were all new once.
    +1
    Cant hit Thanks.

AH is really not welcoming of newbies.
    I have been guilty of not helping them out in AH when the post asking about help for something and obviously asking for help about anything in AH is a waste time :rolleyes:

snyper wrote: »

Not even just first time posters but people who are relatively new to the place and still haven't gotten the hang of it. Just because you know there is a sub-forum of a sub-forum of a sub-forum that deals with this particular topic doesn't mean someone else does.

Another thing, is the aggression towards people who use text speak (which is a little ironic seeing as so many people use abbreviations). A new person arrives and says one sentence in text speak. The next 10 posts will be people along the lines of "omg, I can't understand a word you are saying", "lol learn how to type". In most cases if you just tell these people that text speak is frowned upon, they'll stop using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭OrangeDaisy

would like a thanks button....otherwise its fine

• Advertisement

Another thing, is the aggression towards people who use text speak (which is a little ironic seeing as so many people use abbreviations)

Acronyms > text speak.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement