Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can we improve AH

Options

Comments

I think making Pighead the only mod for AH for a week would be entertaining beyond belief. Terry's appeal on feedback would be Oscar like me thinks :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

How can we improve AH?

Ban people who (like Kiera) stalk and harass someone because they don't like their posts or believe they are female.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

If you have a problem with any users, I suggest you report the posts, or forward any PM's to an Smod.
    Thanks.

I did. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

How can we improve AH?

Ban people who (like womoma) stalk and harass someone because they don't like their posts or believe they are female.

• Advertisement

Wincest, I have no idea what your problem is. That girl posted in threads started by ME, and was insulting FIRST in both, so gimme a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭madser

Don't ban anyone freedom of speech and all that;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 drug dealer

If you want to improve AH, moderate the inconsistent moderation.

Too many of the mods are throwing their weight around by either insulting, patronising, sermonizing, bullying or threatening.

It's not on.

I think people have to remember that they can, and should report mods when they are out of line.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Am I imagining it or is there no way to post pics in this forum? Is it to prevent lolcat-style spamming?

You could add a hack to the code that allowed pictures below a specified size to be posted. That would allow people to post smileys.

As a human I have many emotions, some of which I would like to depict in smiley form. The current list is insufficient for expressing my range. Please rectify this asap.

Chop chop

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Phlann wrote: »
    Am I imagining it or is there no way to post pics in this forum? Is it to prevent lolcat-style spamming?

You could add a hack to the code that allowed pictures below a specified size to be posted. That would allow people to post smileys.

As a human I have many emotions, some of which I would like to depict in smiley form. The current list is insufficient for expressing my range. Please rectify this asap.

Chop chop
    They're disabled. There was a call to have them brought back not so long ago, it failed.

• Advertisement

Plenty of calls for pics to be allowed in AH.
    All have been rejected.
    Too many jackasses willing to spoil the fun for the rest of us.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I get why normal sized pics wouldn't be allowed, but would a bit of code allowing smiley-sized pictures cause problems?

I don't know anything about code.

You could always bring it up in the Development forum and see if it's workable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Automatic thread/picture re-sizing in Dev is more or less about that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

AH is a fecking great forum.
    I can goad idiots there, it tends towards hilarity, anything serious is broken up with hilarious yore ma's, the sex threads are always hilarious, its like the reader's wives of boards.

And you don't even have to thank people!

I reckon most users that actually hang around long enough to care about having over 3000 posts have found other smaller forums to spend more time in, but everyone dips into AH at some stage.
    Why ruin the fun?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Why ruin the fun?

With respect, i dont think the purpose of this thread is to come up with plans to make AH less enjoyable or popular for users or potential users, i think even the best of things can be improved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I think AH should be split up into a few sub forums by age e.g. >20, 20-30, 30-40 etc. As an older gentleman (late 30's) it gets frustrating with the useless babble the young ones around here come out with.

FatherTed wrote: »
    I think AH should be split up into a few sub forums by age e.g. >20, 20-30, 30-40 etc. As an older gentleman (late 30's) it gets frustrating with the useless babble the young ones around here come out with.

Yore Ma babbles

Sorry that is deserved old chum!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Yore Ma babbles

Sorry that is deserved old chum!

lol

resolution = go to a different board maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Remove the thanks button.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

R0ot wrote: »

I like the thanks button in AH. It seems to be nicely implemented so far. Not as much in thread meanness.
    I am on a one man mission to bring back courtesy everywhere that it suits me.

Also I was just looking at the current AH charter. That must be a nightmare set of rules for any AH mod to try and impliment. Stick to them too stringently and sher every thread would be locked, or 4 posts long, or about politics and everyone would be infracted.
    Now I am not knocking that charter. It is a good charter. But it looks to me like AH has evolved into a forum that can bend and break some of the rules of its own charter.
    I think that this has benefitted AH though and it is a funnier forum for it.
    And again, not that any of these rules are bad, just that i think maybe we need a re-wording of the charter for some of the rules. I guess a lot of the rules are implemented based on the judgement of the mod at the time.
    Rules I have seen broken:
    Giblet wrote:
    Off Topic
    - Posts that stray off topic will be edited/deleted, depending on their relevance to the topic at hand. People who ignore a moderator's request to stay on topic will be banned for a week.

Larger audience
    - Posting on AH simply "to reach a larger audience" may result in a ban. The thread will be moved/deleted. If your thread is more suited to another board then please post it there. After Hours is to discuss non-specific topics and issues in a general way. If you have a serious Political or News post, they should be posted on their specific forums.

Pointless Threads and Polls
    - Posting any pointless thread or poll will result in the thread being locked. You can be banned for this. Think before you post. If you don't have anything to say then don't bother posting a new thread. Please try to comment as much as you can on any threads you create. If you create a thread in which you ask people to contribute in, contribute first.

Making the natives restless
    - This is a catch-all rule for general trolling, bitching and similar. Certain posters have an ability to piss off large quanties of regulars on here. If a moderator feels that said poster is doing this intentionally or is the cause of the mess, then the poster can and will be banned. If this poster was being goaded by others, then they'll be the ones getting banned. This rule will hopefully put an end to the bitching going on in here of late.

Drug Talk
    - Discussion of drugs is allowed. Telling people where to buy or requesting that information isn't allowed. Magic Mushrooms, Salvia, DMT etc. are covered by this. Why? Because the admins do not want to be held responsible for posts telling people where to get drugs of any kind. Simple. You can argue about the legality all you want as long as you understand the restrictions on such topics. There might be a forum on legal highs created soon so such things can be discussed in a controlled manner.

EDIT: Magic Mushrooms have now been made illegal. Again, talking about them will not get you banned. Giving advice about how to take, grow, store or process them will get you banned. Mature discussion is allowed and encouraged.

Threads on Sex or Sexuality
    - There is a seperate forum to discuss this now, this forum requires a subscription for access. Any threads on these topics will be locked on sight. Repeat offenders will be banned.

Again I am not knocking the charter, or the people who may be in breach of these rules. I have no problem with AH or its posters or mods. I just think that the charter and the day to day nature of AH are at odds with each other at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Care to explain why this would make After Hours a better place or how introducing the thanks button has made it worse?
    IAgain I am not knocking the charter, or the people who may be in breach of these rules. I have no problem with AH or its posters or mods. I just think that the charter and the day to day nature of AH are at odds with each other at the moment.

It's important to realise why those rules came about in the first place.

There was a time when every second thread in AH was a pointless poll. They even took away the ability to make poll threads at one point and it was for the better. Now, we get the odd pointless poll but it doesn't ruin the forum.

Ditto pretty much every rule you quoted and probably a whole lot more. Those rules are there so when a mod does decide to clamp down on shit threads or posts people can't complain by saying it wasn't in the charter.

The basic guideline in AH is to make your post worthwhile and then, even if it transgresses one of the rules (bar, say linking to warez, or insulting someone out and out or something more serious), it will be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Care to explain why this would make After Hours a better place or how introducing the thanks button has made it worse?

Well simply put, now we have morons saying +1 to things and also thanking them and although "I for one want to welcome our circle jerk overlords" it is just turning into the rep system again. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Can't say I've seen anything like that. There's very little thanking going on in AH compared to how busy a forum it is. I'm sure if people are abusing the system and you report it it'll be taken care of i.e. the relevant abuse will have their thanking privileges removed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Meh, tis fine. Its used where appropriate and I dont see anyone taking the piss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ignore root, he's from donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭0utpost31

And replace it with a "this user sucks" button.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

0utpost31 wrote: »
    And replace it with a "this user sucks" button.

No thank you.

dr.bollocko: Most of the charter ="guidelines" more than rules. The flexibility is to allow AH be what it's meant to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Borderline trolls seem to be on the up in AH in the past couple of days or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

Some nice glitter type effect around the edges of the screen/Skin, while viewing AH, would ad a nice sparkly experience and be reminiscent of the early internet years gone by. Internet 1.01b Currently I have tinsel around my screen and in enhances the experience by helping me remain relaxed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement