Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can we improve AH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Some nice glitter type effect around the edges of the screen/Skin, while viewing AH, would ad a nice sparkly experience and be reminiscent of the early internet years gone by. Internet 1.01b Currently I have tinsel around my screen and in enhances the experience by helping me remain relaxed.
    Try shooting a load on to your monitor. When it dries out, it may have the desired effect.
    javaboy wrote: »
    Borderline trolls seem to be on the up in AH in the past couple of days or so.
    If someone is being a dick across threads, but you don't feel it warrants a reported post each time you can drop the moderators of the forum a PM.
    PM me with some usernames; you better be right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Not sure if this has been said before but the "thanks from" button doesnt make much sense..one saying "funny" or "agree with ya there" would be better. Theres been loads of times i didnt want to post :D that to tell someone they had said something funny! Could there be variations of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

no.

consider the thanks button as a 'one button does all' type thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

There are enough buttons already in fairness. No need for a "funny button". You could start adding buttons for allsorts then like... lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I'm pretty happy with AH. The thanks button is a great addition to boards. The whole "Yore Ma" thing is about as funny as piles though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Firetrap wrote: »
    I'm pretty happy with AH. The thanks button is a great addition to boards. The whole "Yore Ma" thing is about as funny as piles though.

Yore Ma can be funny like all internet catchphrases when used correctly. The problem is it rarely is.

I think the "I for one welcome our new overlords" meme is being overused a lot in the past couple of weeks or so. It's featured in nearly every thread lately.

Oh and btw, piles are funny. As long as they're not your piles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yore Ma can be funny like all internet catchphrases when used correctly. The problem is it rarely is.

No, he's right, it really is well played out at this stage.
    I think the "I for one welcome our new overlords" meme is being overused a lot in the past couple of weeks or so. It's featured in nearly every thread lately.

Yeah, I've noticed that too.
    Oh and btw, piles are funny. As long as they're not your piles.

Let's talk about herpes! Herpes, boberpies, banana-fanna-fo-ferbes, herpes! Ow! Hey: that spot on Gorbachev's head? Herpes, trust me! Anybody here have herpes? Huh? Huh?

You people are the worst audience I've ever seen.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    No, he's right, it really is well played out at this stage.

Yore ma's really played out!

Oh damn. I think I just proved your point. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Lots of people think yore ma is played out, some think it can still be funny in the right situation. What if there was a condition attached? Get your comment in before the mod, you're ok. Do it after a mod says "next one to say your ma is banned", like here-ban of undefined length. This way it gives people a chance to bollix around for a wee bit until a mod posts, after which point the joke will be old and a ban will be welcomed. Maybe it could do with a bit of tweaking but I reckon it might be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It's alread old and is in the charter as one of the things that will get you banned if you use it just to get it in.

It's just not really enforced.

I'm losing my marbles again, so I may start banning people for it again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Terry wrote: »
    It's alread old and is in the charter as one of the things that will get you banned if you use it just to get it in.

I await the feedback threads with much glee.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It's Help Desk these days.

See current threads for reference.

Fúck all Y'all. I'm off to the pub.

Stupid help desk thread is stupid.
    Rest assured that I would purchase a drink for you in this virtual pub we call AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Is there a way of sending beer via pm?

Is there a way of sending beer via pm?

Now that is a thread worthy of feedback.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Terry wrote: »

I've warned and banned people who have used it a lot.

I've warned and banned people who have used it a lot.

Good man AC. I think Yore Ma has it's place like all other memes but morons tend to overuse them inappropriately. It's all about context.

If the thread is "What would you do for €1,000,000?" then Yore Ma is acceptable if not particularly original. But if the thread is "Don't you just love the Roma?" then a Yore Ma post should get a banning and possibly a beating.

Personally the "I for one welcome our new [insert noun from thread title here] overlords" one is a far worse crime and should be punished by the insertion of sharp objects into one or more of the offender's body cavities.*

*In Snyper's case we'd have to think up a new punishment. One that is less arousing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Personally the "I for one welcome our new [insert noun from thread title here] overlords" one is a far worse crime and should be punished by the insertion of sharp objects into one or more of the offender's body cavities.*

*In Snyper's case we'd have to think up a new punishment. One that is less arousing.
    Strap him into a barbed-wire chastity belt, and make him watch Yore Ma dancing nekkid?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I think Yore Ma has it's place

oh, yore ma knows her place alright....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I suppose you think that's funny.
    You'd be right.

I've warned and infracted (I don't think I've banned, but I could be wrong) for 'yore ma', but on the basis that I'd do the same if they typed the same no matter what it was too often for postcount++ or whatever - i.e. they reached my definition of spamming. Otherwise, I don't really see it as something to be moderated.

• Advertisement

Damn straight. Although I like to nip home occasionally during the day to do spot checks. Keeps her on her toes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭brosps

bump

brosps wrote: »
    bump

This is one of only three stickies in After Hours. What was the point of bumping it? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭brosps

to see the terrified look on your face when you realise what iv just done

He's a quick one Java, check out the thread K locked.

He's a quick one Java, check out the thread K locked.

Thanks I'd already read it KaG. You just can't get good trolls anymore. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

This is one of only three stickies in After Hours. What was the point of bumping it? :rolleyes:
    brosps wrote: »
    to see the terrified look on your face when you realise what iv just done

haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Out of curiosity, why can't we thank people in Cool Pics & Vids? Would have thought it would be quite useful in there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It was in there for a while but was removed. When thanks was brought back in after hours it didn't come back in cool vids. I meant to poke Cult about it but I kinda forgot. I might drop him a pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Any chance the conspiracy theory nuts get their threads moved to that forum created particularly for such posts?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement