Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist killed in city centre early this morning.

Options
2»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Can I ask for a mod lock on this thread? I started it, it was taken off topic very early by some on thread complaints about language that were really out of order imo. I didn't respond more than once on thread as I felt it was disrespectful to all involved in the accident. I hoped the thread would stay on track but it has totally gone off the rails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Profiler wrote: »
    The reason behind this is I believe that the use of the word kill or killed implies blame, should there be a criminal case as a result of the incident then words such as killed would prejudice a fair trial.

Your belief isn't well founded.

The use of the word killed doesn't apportion blame, how it's used in a sentence can though.

"The cyclist was killed in an accident with a bus." - No blame imputed or attributed.

"The cyclist was killed by a bus" - you could argue there is blame being applied there.

Anyway, enough of the pedantry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

The term killed is used with any road deaths. I don't think there was any discrimination from the OP.

How is someone suppose to describe a fatal road accident ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement