Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair Play Hodges Figgis

Options
  • 29-06-2008 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

Was in Hodges Figgis yesterday and pleasantly surprised to see their exchange rate from sterling to euro was 1.27 - now why can't others do the same??? esp M&S who had new season £35 items selling for €55, an exchange rate of 1.55! - though most stg price tags had been removed so you couldn't see the extra they were charging.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

compares our old punt/euro around 2001/2002

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

mcaul wrote: »
    Was in Hodges Figgis yesterday and pleasantly surprised to see their exchange rate from sterling to euro was 1.27 - now why can't others do the same??? esp M&S who had new season £35 items selling for €55, an exchange rate of 1.55! - though most stg price tags had been removed so you couldn't see the extra they were charging.

Apart from the sterling issue altogther I usually find Hodges Figgis excellent.

Their staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

New stock arriving into HF is always priced at the current exchange rate. This is why it is worth digging around through copies of the same book as some may be priced cheaper than others if they came into stock at different times.

HF is actually a Waterstones but without the name over the door, so I assume Waterstones have the same approach.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Yep, bought a book there yesterday and it matched actual exchange rates rather than the exchange rates from years ago that many other shops employ.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Danno wrote: »
    compares our old punt/euro around 2001/2002

Yes, is it just coincidence, or could it be a really old book where the £ is actually punts.

I think game used to do direct conversions on magazines, and they sold FHM etc at the time. It changed though, I think VAT or something may be different, I have heard some argument why magazines should not be a direct exchanged rate, dunno about books, there was a reason but shops take the piss and charge way more even still.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

rubadub wrote: »
    I think VAT or something may be different, I have heard some argument why magazines should not be a direct exchanged rate, dunno about books, there was a reason but shops take the piss and charge way more even still.
    Books are VAT-exempt in Ireland but magazines are not, so there's less excuse for price differences.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ixoy wrote: »
    Books are VAT-exempt in Ireland but magazines are not, so there's less excuse for price differences.

I think what the original poster was getting was that in addition to the vat the wholesalers add on an extra charge for costs etc.

Advertisement