Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airport Metro Alternative

• 29-06-2008 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

If the Airport Metro gets the axe for a few years while finances are being sorted out, is there a cheaper solution?

How about sharing the Point Depot Luas extension track under construction to provide a bus service from O'Connell Street via
    Luas Track
    Point Depot
    Port Tunnel
    Santry Exit
    Old Airport Road Bus Lane
    Airport

Main bottleneck would be from entering the airport to the departure...

Viable or one for the birds?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I understand that quite a few route 747 buses are already doing this, although using Sheriff Street / Northwall Quay and operating the full distance on the M1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

Cork_Rebel wrote: »
    If the Airport Metro gets the axe for a few years while finances are being sorted out, is there a cheaper solution?
    A solution to which problem? getting quickly from Dublin to the airport? It's only about 10km and the bus can do it in about 20 minutes down the m1 and dorset street. The metro is not being built to speed up journey times from the airport to the city centre.
    How about sharing the Point Depot Luas extension track under construction to provide a bus service from O'Connell Street via
    Luas Track
    Point Depot
    Port Tunnel
    Santry Exit
    Old Airport Road Bus Lane
    Airport
    Track sharing might slow down the Luas. I don't know if track sharing through the IFSC would be faster than using the quiet north wall quay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Cork_Rebel

I realise the Metro is intended to serve other areas but is not part of the reason for putting it in to provide a fast link between the city and the airport?

The only difference between the current airport bus and this would be to change the route to use the Luas tracks therefore possibly making it a faster journey. Also providing for stops to link the IFSC and the airport.

I wouldn't call the North Quays quiet. The Swords Express bus sits for twenty minutes crawling along it during peak and sometime off peak times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I believe that there will be an 'inbound' bus lane along North Wall Quay that may help buses using the tunnel.

The airport metro is a bit of a waste of money (as it is not of use to most airport users). It's the airport served by a metro link to Swords that makes sense.

Advertisement