Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do we pay taxes?

Options
  • 29-06-2008 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

We seem to be heading into a period of slow growth and after years of boom what do we have to show for it? Ok road infrastructure improved better and Cork is a fair amount nicer looking, but hospitals standards have plummetted, the bus and at times rail services have seen little improvement, and we have become one of the most expensive countries to live in Europe. I wasn't around for the 80's and I believe that the media is scaremongering us to believe that Ireland will be bestowed into a period of doom and gloom but at the end of the day between VAT this and extra commission charge that where is the money going that shows that our taxes are creating something tangible. I for one have never had great time for politicians and at the end of the day why should they care since there is no great accountability in state posts. Bertie has gone down as being a loveable rogue and others have come out looking rosy as well. Irish politics has been too short sighted and narrow minded to leave all our eggs in the construction basket and now thats gone so will the Poles and the extra income tax. In any half decent business there's always a contingency plan and we seem to have been caught with our pants down our ankles. At the end of the day where did our surplus go? In fairness if we're just going to throw money at nothing (e.g. FAS money dissapearing) then whats the point of paying taxes? P.S. Anyone have the number for a good tax accountant over in the Caymans?

Comments

Advertisement