Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot water from cold tap

Options
  • 29-06-2008 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi,

A plumber recently replaced the immersion in my apartment. Since this, boiling hot water is flowing from the cold tap in the bathroom. (The cold water tap in the kitchen is fine).

The plumber is saying that the pump is faulty and needs to be replaced at an extra cost. I know absolutely nothing about plumbing but I have a feeling that the hot water problem is not being caused by the pump. Maybe an airlock.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you might have for me on how to handle this.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

He may have installed a wrong immersion and the hot water is venting into the upper part of your cylinder
    The upper part feeds both the hot and cold ,thats more than likely your problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

i came across one recently where the previous plumber who fitted the immersion by-passed the stat inside therefore making the immersion overheat and cause "pitching" similar to what 311 said
    if its only being happening since the immersion has being replaced its not very likely that its mixing in the pump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

landydef wrote: »
    i came across one recently where the previous plumber who fitted the immersion by-passed the stat inside therefore making the immersion overheat and cause "pitching" similar to what 311 said
    if its only being happening since the immersion has being replaced its not very likely that its mixing in the pump

That's the best guess alright as the immersion shouldn't be able to deliver boiling water if its thermostat is set correctly. Turn the immersion off and take off the top cover. The thermostat control should be inside and is possibly adjustable. If it is try turning it down. Incidentally the kitchen cold tap should come direct off the mains, not from the tank, so it wouldn't be affected by the immerser.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Philcan

Thanks all for the replies.

The plumber is returning tomorrow to fix the thermostat.
    He still feels that the hot water flowing from the cold tap issue is down to the pump though - hopefully he's wrong

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Smilerterry

Philcan, did you get this sorted? I am having a similar problem in my apartment, but did not change immersion. Basically boiling hot water coming from the cold taps in the bathroom and filling up the cistern.

There was a leak in the apartment block a few weeks ago and I am wondering if they had to turn off the mains and that I might have an airlock?

The boiler is also making a terrible noise when heating up.

• Advertisement

Philcan, did you get this sorted? I am having a similar problem in my apartment, but did not change immersion. Basically boiling hot water coming from the cold taps in the bathroom and filling up the cistern.

There was a leak in the apartment block a few weeks ago and I am wondering if they had to turn off the mains and that I might have an airlock?

The boiler is also making a terrible noise when heating up.
    try turning the stat down on the boiler,leave it anywhere between a third and halfway

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Smilerterry

thanks Landydef, I'll try that this evening.

it might be worth checking the pressure while your at it,between 1 and 2 bar is perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

The cold water tap in the kitchen comes from the mains The cold water in the bathroom usually comes from an attic tank. Go into the attic and check if the water in that tank is hot.

Advertisement