Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When Good Brets Go Bad

• 29-06-2008 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭

Although I didn't really want to post this seeing as VR will probably have a great time with it, I suppose it will get posted at some stage :pac:

From f4wonline.com:
    Strange incident at Waterloo Hall of Fame dinner

A bizarre incident took place earlier tonight at the Hall of Fame dinner in Waterloo, IA.

Bret Hart was giving a speech, accepting the Hall of Fame honor for father Stu. During the speech, Hart noted Greg Oliver of SlamWrestling, who was there to be given the Jim Melby Memorial Award for wrestling journalism along with writing partner Steve Johnson. Hart went off on Oliver in his speech, and started talking about the sacrifices the wrestlers have made and loved ones lost in the business and said that one of us doesn't deserve to be here and said either he goes or I go. Several of the older wrestlers in attendance gave Hart a standing ovation. Oliver didn't leave, although the report we got was that Johnson did leave to try and diffuse a bad situation.

Hart eventually left when Oliver didn't, and many of the wrestlers left with him and it created an ugly vibe. Hart hasn't liked Oliver dating back to Oliver's book, "Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame: The Canadians," which listed him No. 14 in the list of greatest Canadian wrestlers ever. The book did acknowledge him as the best known of all the Canadian wrestlers but said "Hart can hardly claim to be the best ever."

The situation was videotaped and I presume the tape will get around over the next few days. We hope to have more details forthcoming.

The book was published a few months after Bret suffered his stroke, so I don't know if that had something to do with why it got to him so much

But seriously, Bret's higher than 14th in the greatest wrestlers ever, never mind Canadian wrestlers!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Bret wasnt really a draw in comparsion to some of the others on the list. I dont mind him being unhappy with it but how he dealt with it makes him come off really bad. To the extent that when someone writes a similar in 100 years time ranking Canadians, his stock will fall even lower as he will be remembered even more as someone who takes himself WAY too seriously (in other words a joke.) Displays like this over one persons opinion will tarnish his legacy.

Bret is becoming the person he hated Hogan for being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

He spoke his mind. I fail to see the problem.

gimmick wrote: »

:rolleyes: Seriously?

He didnt just speak his mind tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

gimmick wrote: »

It was a ceremony to celebrate certain wrestlers and when Bret's father was being celebrated Bret turned it into an attack on a journalist because of a personal vendetta. I think it was disrespectful and over the top. It also affected the rest of the show in a bad way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Fozzy wrote: »
    It was a ceremony to celebrate certain wrestlers and when Bret's father was being celebrated Bret turned it into an attack on a journalist because of a personal vendetta. I think it was disrespectful and over the top. It also affected the rest of the show in a bad way

Now you know what i mean, i think that bump on the head when he fell off his bike did a lot more than give him a stroke. It gave him the ability to hold meaningless grudges. Nice to see it's not only with Shawn though.

I'd like to say this surprises me, but it doesn't, just fuels my hatred for the whiny maggot. :)
    Most of those Harts are nuts, ever read Diana Hart's book? I'm starting to seriously believe some of the stuff in it lately!

VR!

• Advertisement

Now you know what i mean, i think that bump on the head when he fell off his bike did a lot more than give him a stroke. It gave him the ability to hold meaningless grudges. Nice to see it's not only with Shawn though.

Nah his disposition in general didnt change after the accident (why do you keep going back to that VR btw.)

I can't help it, it's my morbid humour.
    VR!

I can't help it, it's my morbid humour.
    VR!

Bret was very bitter before the accident in fairness

rovert wrote: »
    Bret was very bitter before the accident in fairness

Oh i agree, but it got a lot worse. He also wasn't as arrogant and up himself before it. Compare his shoot interviews before the accident in 2002, and then the ones he did in 2004 (solo and with Neidhart)

The accident did **** him up more in the head, there's no doubt about that.
    VR!

The accident did **** him up more in the head, there's no doubt about that.
    VR!

I cant really disprove or prove your point but I did pick up from his book and interviews promoting the book is that he become more of a depressive (which is in fact a major side affect from concussions, head injuries etc) in recent years.

• Advertisement

I cant really disprove or prove your point but I did pick up from his book and interviews promoting the book is that he become more of a depressive (which is in fact a major side affect from concussions, head injuries etc) in recent years.

I said this in a previous thread a couple of months back, i bought Bret's book from ROH Store back last December i think, i've gotten to about page 100 and put it down and haven't been able to go back to it. I'm all on for detail, but he takes the biscuit. That said (and i'm being totally serious here), if the worst happens, and his memory goes to mush, he'll at least have it for reference.

Get your hands on his two RF shoots he did in 2000 and 2001 respectively which basically goes into detail of his WWE career (2001 one goes into his WCW career), and he's actually very down to earth in them. Then in 2004's Behind Closed Doors shoot, he's so far up his own ass it would take a JCB to get his head out of it.

My fiancee, (who is actually a Bret fan) even thought the same thing, she switched the 2004 shoot off after 20 minutes.
    VR!

I said this in a previous thread a couple of months back, i bought Bret's book from ROH Store back last December i think, i've gotten to about page 100 and put it down and haven't been able to go back to it. I'm all on for detail, but he takes the biscuit. That said (and i'm being totally serious here), if the worst happens, and his memory goes to mush, he'll at least have it for reference.!

Skip to when he breaks into WWF then, your complaint is not an uncommon one.
    Get your hands on his two RF shoots he did in 2000 and 2001 respectively which basically goes into detail of his WWE career (2001 one goes into his WCW career), and he's actually very down to earth in them. Then in 2004's Behind Closed Doors shoot, he's so far up his own ass it would take a JCB to get his head out of it.

My fiancee, (who is actually a Bret fan) even thought the same thing, she switched the 2004 shoot after 20 minutes.
    VR!

Yeah I agree, he did have a sense of humour, proportion and perspective about his career and real life events then.

Skip to when he breaks into WWF then, your complaint is not an uncommon one.

Yeah, but that's the problem! Time is the other one. I took a four month or so hiatus from this forum back in November and bought a rake of books, all of which i read other than that one. Not that anyone would complain if i f*cked off for a week or two ;). But i would like to read it in it's entirety. Maybe a couple of weeks off could work ;)
    Yeah I agree, he did have a sense of humour, proportion and perspective about his career and real life events then.

Nice to see i'm not the only one who has noticed the difference since then.

For everyone else:
    Here's my deal with Bret, i didn't always hate him. In the 80s, the Harts were unarguably one of the best tag teams the WWE had, they had some awesome matches with the Bulldogs, The Stallions, The Killer Bees and Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard. If they were on the TV, you were guaranteed entertainment for 10-15 minutes. Even their promos with Jimmy Hart as heels were great. I can't say i was a fan of much of their face work, other than Arn and Tully for obvious reasons, but they had 2-4 matches with The Rockers between 1989 and 1990, all of which were awesome.

Even when Bret went single, I enjoyed his stuff until about 1994, then it just felt like he'd become Hulk Hogan for the 90s. Same thing that Cena is now, catered for the kiddies (granted Bret was a much better worker, obviously). For me, the guy was overexposed. That said, he was about one of four people that could make Davey Smith look good. I also think he made a dumb move by going on hiatus for six months in 1996, and then wondering "where his spot went" when he came back. Welcome to the real world Bret, the WWE never did, and never will completely revolve around you.

I'm not even touching Shawn & Montreal on this, we all know which side of the fence i'm on there. :)

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Bret Hart acting selfishly and like a jerk :eek: Who'd a thunk it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

No one knows for sure the real reason Bret dislikes Oliver is because of the book alone. It could be something else and I'm sure Bret had his reasons for making such a stand.

As for being listed 14th in the greatest Canadian list, that's like Roy Keane being listed 14th in the greatest Irish soccer players list. Laughable.

No one knows for sure the real reason Bret dislikes Oliver is because of the book alone.

It is the only reason, as this is not the first time this issue has popped.
    As for being listed 14th in the greatest Canadian list, that's like Roy Keane being listed 14th in the greatest Irish soccer players list. Laughable.

Have you read the book?

It is the only reason, as this is not the first time this issue has popped.

How do you know it's the only reason?
    rovert wrote:
    Have you read the book?

No and I do not intend to!

How do you know it's the only reason?

Interviews from both sides. Bret has never voiced his disapproval directly to Greg. You'll here very few negiative comments about Greg. Greg didnt even mention the incident in his own recap of the event: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2008/06/28/6015581.html showing the class Bret lacks.
    No and I do not intend to!

Hardly an impartial response, the authors explained the ranking system in the book, you cant really comment on the ranking if you havent read that.

Interviews from both sides. Bret has never voiced his disapproval directly to Greg. You'll here very few negiative comments about Greg. Greg didnt even mention the incident in his own recap of the event: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2008/06/28/6015581.html showing the class Bret lacks.

Oh I see through interviews. Good to know you have the inside scoop then. I wouldn't pay too much heed to what is said in interviews. I would suspect there is far more bad blood between the two men that don't make the interviews. I suspect dear Greg has too much 'class' to divulge this information.
    rovert wrote:
    Hardly an impartial response, the authors explained the ranking system in the book, you cant really comment on the ranking if you havent read that.

I don't need to read the book to see the stupidity of such a ranking system in the same way I don't need to read a book which would list George Best as NI's 14th best soccer player to know that it is a nonsensical claim.

Oh I see through interviews. Good to know you have the inside scoop then. I wouldn't pay too much heed to what is said in interviews. I would suspect there is far more bad blood between the two men that don't make the interviews. I suspect dear Greg has too much 'class' to divulge this information.

When both interviews are from both parties and given their contents yes it is the inside scoop. Love the way you speak dismissively of someone who you arent familar with. Very impartial.
    I don't need to read the book to see the stupidity of such a ranking system in the same way I don't need to read a book which would list George Best as NI's 14th best soccer player to know that it is a nonsensical claim.

Run down the other 13 wrestlers ahead of him for me, then if it is nonsense. You point about George Best is incredibly foolish considering you know nothing about the ranking system of the book.

• Advertisement

I've been waiting for this for a while now, MNG and rovert in a war of words.
    This is indeed, a match for the ages! :D

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

emot-munch.gif

This is gonna be great.

kyp_durron wrote: »
    emot-munch.gif

This is gonna be great.

From page 5674 article 3c subsection C of the internet rulebook youve already negated the possibility of this being great by pointing it out before hand.

From page 5674 article 3c subsection C of the internet rulebook youve already negated the possibility of this being great by pointing it out before hand.

You've obviously never been in a debate with MNG before! ;)
    VR!

I destroy every thread I post in. I am also possibly the worlds worst poster :(

On topic: I like Bret, he is very intelligent man.

You've obviously never been in a debate with MNG before! ;)
    VR!

He knows **** all about the book or its author, so whats the point?

He knows **** all about the book or its author, so whats the point?

Trust me dude, he'll find one... somewhere! :D
    VR!

On topic: I like Bret, he is very intelligent man.

Hardly strictly on topic and no one said he wasnt.

Hardly strictly on topic and no one said he wasnt.

It's slighty on topic. I just want you to know thats what I think. I like Bret, he is good.

• Advertisement

I just want you to know thats what I think. I like Bret, he is good.

We've been waiting for that

Do you think Bret should put that guy in the Sharpshooter rovert?

Edit: Would he be able to, since the stroke and all?

Do you think Bret should put that guy in the Sharpshooter rovert?

He must do these first by law in this order:
    1. Vertical suplex
    2. Russian legsweep
    3. Backbreaker
    4. Elbowdrop from the second rope

Remember everyone Ric Flair is a routine man Bret is NOT, just ask Bret.
    Edit: Would he be able to, since the stroke and all?

Was Jeff Jarrett at the Hall of Fame too?

I'd like to say this surprises me, but it doesn't, just fuels my hatred for the whiny maggot. :)
    VR!

Whiny maggot ? Cant help but think.... Pot / Kettle ?

Whiny maggot ? Cant help but think.... Pot / Kettle ?

Pot meet cattle.

But seriously, I think VR could kick Brets ass.

But seriously, I think VR could kick Brets ass.

yeah in a whining competition :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Run down the other 13 wrestlers ahead of him for me, then if it is nonsense. You point about George Best is incredibly foolish considering you know nothing about the ranking system of the book.

1. Whipper Billy Watson
    2. Yvon Robert
    3. Killer Kowalski
    4. Mad Dog Vachon
    5. Earl McCready
    6. Gene Kiniski
    7. Roddy Piper
    8. Sky Low Low/ Little Beaver
    9. Ben & Mike Sharpe
    10. Stu Hart
    11. Abdullah the Butcher
    12. John & Chris Tolos
    13. Stomper Gouldie

there is a guy on another forum who lives in the same town as abdullah where he was born and raised (LaSalle) and says 99.99% of his home town don't know him

rossie1977 wrote: »
    there is a guy on another forum who lives in the same town as abdullah where he was born and raised (LaSalle) and says 99.99% of his home town don't know him

Credible stat (nonsense) there that misses the point of the book.

Credible stat (nonsense) there that misses the point of the book.

lists are a load of BS no matter what criteria you use, they only end up as pissing contests in the end as people differ in opinions

lists are a load of BS no matter what criteria you use, they only end up as pissing contests in the end as people differ in opinions

What a weird reponse to what you quoted.

Again have you read the book? Or any other books in the series.

An update from f4wonline.com:
    --A few more notes on the deal last night involving Bret Hart at the Waterloo Hall of Fame banquet. Greg Oliver posted at Wrestling Classics that no wrestlers left when Bret Hart did. The message we got from someone there stated some did, and that many of the wrestlers after were congratulating Hart for what he did. It was a real weird scene since Oliver was there to get an award with Steve Johnson. As far as the motivation, it was more based on Oliver's book review for Hart's autobiography than the rankings, although Hart never had much to do with Oliver after the 2003 book came out. Oliver's book review for Hart's book was generally positive, also.

Maybe Bret was just having a bad day :pac:

• Advertisement

i read this and his "heels" book and although nice reads some of the criteria he used such as longevity, number of territories they appeared and headlined means many of todays stars will automatically be downgraded. his books would be better without a numbering system imo

When both interviews are from both parties and given their contents yes it is the inside scoop. Love the way you speak dismissively of someone who you arent familar with. Very impartial.

You do realise that an interview only contains the information that the interviewee gives out, right? In other words you don't ascertain every shred of information from interviews. You weren't working on the Warren commission by any chance, were you rovert?
    rovert wrote:

Why would I run down a list which I feel is nonsense? In my opinion Bret Hart IS the greatest Canadian wrestler of all time and in my opinion George Best IS the greatest Northern Irish footballer of all time and I don't need to read some book which makes nonsensical claims to come to that conclusion.

If a book came out saying the 14th best way to relax was to put your head in a microwave, would you buy the book to actually conclude whether or not this was true? Or would you, like myself, thing such a book exemplified total stupidity and chuckle at the idea of people reading such a ridiculous book?
    Fozzy wrote:
    An update from f4wonline.com:

Maybe Bret was just having a bad day :pac:

This is exactly my point. No one really knows what the deal is. Maybe Bret talked to the guy a few years back and Oliver acted like a complete dick?

Two sides to every story. Someone get rovert to interview Bret!

the 14th best way to relax was to put your head in a microwave

I just tryed this. It wasn't so bad really, there was a bad smell of cheese but overall it was pretty relaxing v0v

Here's the review for those interested: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/Reviews/2007/10/08/pf-4560589.html

It's a completely positive review apart from where he says that Bret's "obsession and hatred of Shawn Michaels actually gets somewhat tiresome, though believable" and when he points out a few factual or spelling errors that are in the book. But those bits don't make it a negative review

Bret was still out of line I think to use time dedicated to his father to pursue a personal grudge

I would be happy with a review like that. He said Bret is "also a way better wordsmith than the average person would expect". Perhaps there is more to this then meets the eye. Hmmm you decide!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

No possibility of you guys serching for a pair of Brets
    shoes on E Bay and walking in them for a while????:p

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭jayhaitch2

I just tryed this. It wasn't so bad really, there was a bad smell of cheese but overall it was pretty relaxing v0v

But as a way to relax, was it the the best there was? The best there is? Or the best there ever will be?:D

It sounds like Bret behaved in a bad way. He is obviously a pretty bitter guy. To some point its probably understandable, nobody likes to be screwed over by a boss when they believe they are doing their very best. He has also had a tough run of luck with his personal life. I don't think anyone could dispute that losing so many close relatives in such a short period of time is bound to have an effect on even the strongest of characters

To dismiss him as a whiny maggot or to not give him the props he deserves as at least the most well known or popular canadian wrestler of all time (proof? when did John Tolos appear on the Simpsons ) seems a little unfair to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭jayhaitch2

1. Whipper Billy Watson
    2. Yvon Robert
    3. Killer Kowalski
    4. Mad Dog Vachon
    5. Earl McCready
    6. Gene Kiniski
    7. Roddy Piper
    8. Sky Low Low/ Little Beaver
    9. Ben & Mike Sharpe
    10. Stu Hart
    11. Abdullah the Butcher
    12. John & Chris Tolos
    13. Stomper Gouldie

Is that the "little person" wrestler who Bundy squashed at Wrestlemania 3?
    Hmmm...I'm starting to see holes in this list!!!

Greg Oliver was just on Wrestling Observer Live, just saying how Bret's had opportunities to talk to him in the past, in person and all, and Bret just ignored him until last night. He said that Roddy Piper called him about something that he didn't like before and Greg was happy for it so that he could learn from the situation. He said that some members of the hall of fame spoke to him later on and said that they don't feel the same way as Bret. He said that Bret brought a dampener on what was a good night up to that point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I might be missing something but was what Bret said really that bad. If his peers gave him a standing ovation the feeling can't be his alone

• Advertisement
Advertisement