Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When Good Brets Go Bad

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I might be missing something but was what Bret said really that bad. If his peers gave him a standing ovation the feeling can't be his alone

He said that someone didn't deserve to be in the room and they hadn't made the sacrifices that wrestlers have made and either Greg leaves the room or he does. Greg stayed put so Bret walked out. Everybody there did not side with Bret. Wrestlers seem to have an "us vs them" mentality anyway, with a few drinks in them they're not going to side with an "outsider" over a wrestler causing some trouble

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

WOW Mr.Nice Guy can play devil’s advocate (because he does know anything about the situation.)
    You do realise that an interview only contains the information that the interviewee gives out, right? In other words you don't ascertain every shred of information from interviews. You weren't working on the Warren commission by any chance, were you rovert?

I do but going my both parties respoonses
    Why would I run down a list which I feel is nonsense?

As you don’t know about anyone else on the list? I guessing. Quite the Wrestling historian you are.
    In my opinion Bret Hart IS the greatest Canadian wrestler of all time and in my opinion George Best IS the greatest Northern Irish footballer of all time and I don't need to read some book which makes nonsensical claims to come to that conclusion.

Sorry but Canadian Wrestling has a better legacy than Northern Irish football. How can you claim the book is nonsense when you haven’t read it, don’t understand the ranking system or a decent knowledge of Canadian Wrestling history. So you've no sense of perspective when it comes to this list. Id put more stock Greg Oliver's opinion than yours as he did research everyone on the list and interview many, many people who know more than you about Canadian wrestling history. I gave you to rank them but you didn’t. You are showing bias here.
    If a book came out saying the 14th best way to relax was to put your head in a microwave, would you buy the book to actually conclude whether or not this was true? Or would you, like myself, thing such a book exemplified total stupidity and chuckle at the idea of people reading such a ridiculous book?

Stupid analogy. Once again you haven’t read the book and the idea you have of it is completely simplistic. The book is one of the most researched books in Wrestling history.
    This is exactly my point. No one really knows what the deal is. Maybe Bret talked to the guy a few years back and Oliver acted like a complete dick?

You put too much stock a maybe when nothing points to possibly it might be true.
    jayhaitch2 wrote: »
    Is that the "little person" wrestler who Bundy squashed at Wrestlemania 3?
    Hmmm...I'm starting to see holes in this list!!!

Quite the frame of reference you have there.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭jayhaitch2

rovert wrote: »

Quite the frame of reference you have there.

I've been one sentenced by rovert. I have arrived.:D

But i'm not really sure what your saying?

It is the the guy who was squashed by Bundy, right?
    He is ahead of Bret on the list of Canadian wrestlers, right?
    This negates the list as credible, right?

If i'm wrong fair enough, feel free to point me in the right direction.

So did Hulk Hogan is he not one of greatest American wrestlers?

Do you know how old both of midgets where at the time of Wrestlemania 3, right? At their peak both put "normal wrestlers" to shame with their skill. Read the book and read the quotes from their peers.

Apparently Bret was more offended by Greg Oliver's (positive) review of his book:
    http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/Reviews/2007/10/08/4560589.html

So did Hulk Hogan is he not one of greatest American wrestlers?

Do you know how old both of midgets where at the time of Wrestlemania 3, right? At their peak both put "normal wrestlers" to shame with their skill. Read the book and read the quotes from their peers.

Is the first sentence what you meant to write? I doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
    Are you saying Hogan was also squashed by Bundy? What does that have to do with anything?

I'm sure they were both very fine wrestlers, but do you honestly believe they were better than Bret Hart?

Is the first sentence what you meant to write? I doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
    Are you saying Hogan was also squashed by Bundy? What does that have to do with anything?

Just going by your logic:
    He is ahead of Bret on the list of Canadian wrestlers, right?

Once you got squashed by Bundy your whole career goes down the crapper and your accomplishments mean nothing.
    I'm sure they were both very fine wrestlers, but do you honestly believe they were better than Bret Hart?

It is not about what I believe. Its about the merits of the book's ranking system, a book which you havent read. Yet you are willing to pass judgement on it as well wrestlers ranked in the list most of whom youve seen at most maybe once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

yeah in a whining competition :D

Feel better now that's off your chest? Good, now go back to playing with your signed Bret Hart action figures :)

VR!

Just going by your logic:

Once you got squashed by Bundy your whole career goes down the crapper and your accomplishments mean nothing.

It is not about what I believe. Its about the merits of the book's ranking system, a book which you havent read. Yet you are willing to pass judgement on it as well wrestlers ranked in the list most of whom youve seen at most maybe once.

I think its fair to say I did not say his career and his accomplishments meant nothing. I was merely asking if that was who the guy was. Incidentally his career did go down the crapper after that match, as he had to retire from injury sustained in it.

How can any ranking system on professional wrestling have any merit?There are no point scoring systems.
    Its all subjective.Its all based on opinion.

I'm suprised that Bret isn't ranked higher on the list, but at the end of the day it doesn't really mean anything. I guess that just shows the Bret is quite bitter (rightly or wrongly).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I think its fair to say I did not say his career and his accomplishments meant nothing. I was merely asking if that was who the guy was. Incidentally his career did go down the crapper after that match, as he had to retire from injury sustained in it.

That's not strictly true. He did suffer the back injury but i believe he was planning on retiring shortly after that while he was on a high note. Granted my memory isn't what it was. I know Bundy was concerned as he'd hoped the injury wasn't related to his death. He died of emphysema though, so there's a pretty good chance he was a heavy smoker that could have been the cause of that.
    I'm suprised that Bret isn't ranked higher on the list, but at the end of the day it doesn't really mean anything. I guess that just shows the Bret is quite bitter (rightly or wrongly).

I can't disagree here. So some people don't rate Bret as high as Bret rates Bret! Get over it, i remember he had a gripe with some of Flair's comments in his book too a few years back.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

WOW Mr.Nice Guy can play devil’s advocate (because he does know anything about the situation.)

It's called not jumping to conclusions. You should try it some time. ;)
    rovert wrote:
    I do but going my both parties respoonses

And as has been explained to you the responses only contain what answers the interviewee chooses to give. For example, take a look at interviews Shawn Michaels gave not long after Survivor Series 1997. Did everyone ascertain what really happened in Montreal due to these interviews? Far from it.
    rovert wrote:
    As you don’t know about anyone else on the list? I guessing. Quite the Wrestling historian you are.

I never claimed to be a wrestling historian but I don't need to be. I don't need to know about every Northern Irish footballer in history to know George Best was better than all of them. The cream rises to the top you see.
    rovert wrote:
    Sorry but Canadian Wrestling has a better legacy than Northern Irish football. How can you claim the book is nonsense when you haven’t read it, don’t understand the ranking system or a decent knowledge of Canadian Wrestling history. So you've no sense of perspective when it comes to this list. Id put more stock Greg Oliver's opinion than yours as he did research everyone on the list and interview many, many people who know more than you about Canadian wrestling history. I gave you to rank them but you didn’t. You are showing bias here.

A few points here. I could use Irish football rather than Northern Irish football if it would please you. The analogy and point would still stand that the cream rises to the top.

And as has been pointed out to you already, you don't need to read a book with a nonsensical claim in it to acknowledge the nonsensical claim. I don't need to read a book which says Elvis and Princess Di are living on an island in Tahiti right now to know it's BS, understand?

I love how I am supposedly showing bias when earlier you were the one saying Bret has no class unlike Oliver! Keep on digging that hole though rovert.
    rovert wrote:
    Stupid analogy. Once again you haven’t read the book and the idea you have of it is completely simplistic. The book is one of the most researched books in Wrestling history.

Sure keep telling yourself that. You should have kept the receipt mate! :pac:
    rovert wrote:
    You put too much stock a maybe when nothing points to possibly it might be true.

Most people acknowledge there are two sides to every story!

Listen we can go back and forth on this all day and I'm sure you'd enjoy that since you don't seem to have many good books to keep you occupied, but we'll just have to agree to differ.

It's called not jumping to conclusions. You should try it some time. ;)

Its not jumping to conclusions again this is not the first this issue has raised it's head, the book is five years old.

You are jumping to conclusions about the other wrestlers on the list.
    And as has been explained to you the responses only contain what answers the interviewee chooses to give. For example, take a look at interviews Shawn Michaels gave not long after Survivor Series 1997. Did everyone ascertain what really happened in Montreal due to these interviews? Far from it.

Dave Meltzer did in almost complete detail within two weeks after the incident, using a similar level of research Greg Oliver did. Read Bret Harts book for that story.Everyone in Wrestling knew HBK was full of it at the time.
    I never claimed to be a wrestling historian but I don't need to be. I don't need to know about every Northern Irish footballer in history to know George Best was better than all of them. The cream rises to the top you see.

As George Best was far in the way the best player they ever had in a sallow talent pool. He also kept a high media profile post-football career. Best's peak didn’t last so long and people lamented that fact due him going off the rails. In some ways Montreal and Owen's death magnified Bret's career.

Again Canadian has a rich history in Wrestling almost unparalleled by most other sports and countries.
    A few points here. I could use Irish football rather than Northern Irish football if it would please you. The analogy and point would still stand that the cream rises to the top.

Empty analogy in this case. Sounds like you've fallen for Bret's marketing catchphrase.

MAKE BRET NO.1 AS WWE RELEASED A DVD ABOUT HIM AND I WATCHED IT LOL sums up your mentality.
    And as has been pointed out to you already, you don't need to read a book with a nonsensical claim in it to acknowledge the nonsensical claim. I don't need to read a book which says Elvis and Princess Di are living on an island in Tahiti right now to know it's BS, understand?.

The claim is not even on that on that level. You are really going to ludicrous extremes to try to discredit a book you haven’t read and you coming across as undulying defensive.

The claim isn’t nonsense as you’ve yet to give any factual reasons why the claim is nonsense.
    I love how I am supposedly showing bias when earlier you were the one saying Bret has no class unlike Oliver! Keep on digging that hole though rovert.

I was referring to Bret's conduct at the dinner. I’m not the only person who thought it was classless. I have shown more compassion for Bret than anyone in this thread. So you can’t get me on that.
    Most people acknowledge there are two sides to every story! .

But the key thing you actually don’t.
    Listen we can go back and forth on this all day and I'm sure you'd enjoy that since you don't seem to have many good books to keep you occupied, but we'll just have to agree to differ.

Your views are retarded as you know nothing about the contents of the book. Yet you make judgments about it. You know nothing about Canadian wrestling history or even Bret's own views of Sky Low Low's place in history.

You are completely uninformed on this issue and add little to the discusssion.

Advertisement