Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming on Mac or PC - noob

Options
  • 29-06-2008 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I'm quite 'into' computers but I cannot program for the life of me. The best I can do are some simple scripts for NWN1 and aeons ago for Dungeon Keeper 1.

I have a pc and a mac and I assume the PC has more options even though mac is unix/linux based.

My friend has also given me a book 'using visual basic 6' of course the CD is missing. I dont even know if VB6 is doable on a mac.

So basically I'm asking for : any freeware programming programs for the mac failing that the pc ?

second what language ?

finally any online tutorials ?

Thanks guys, hopefully this will keep me away from the evil of guild wars :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Start by picking your language, you will be able to find a compiler for just about any of them on either platform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

well what language would be best, I dont know much about different types other than that some are more complex but that those give more control.

What one can make programs that run on a mac as it seems that vb6 wont run on a mac ?

is there a language that can run on both ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Java looks to be your best bet if you want it to be platform independant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

Ok thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Cremo wrote: »
    Java looks to be your best bet if you want it to be platform independant.
    Or Python. Or Ruby. Or any of the other interpreted languages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

Go for JAVA. IMO it's the easiest to learn Object Oriented Programming and from there you can easily learn any other language. Get a propper book, I recommend Big Java by Cay Horstman. Make sure that you don't skip any chapters. You don't want to get any bad habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Ruby is good, easy and clean

Advertisement