Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving IP Configs/Mulitiple Lans etc

Options
  • 29-06-2008 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi there,

I move around a lot with work and am not too technical with IT matters but I know my way around a notebook and minor IT matters. The current vain of my life is moving around 4 locations that have different set IP addresses and DNS.

I know in Vista you can go to LAN/IP protocal and set them up but is there any way of saving or creating about 4? Or a special tool to do it?

It is a pain going in and inputing the IP addresses every every time.

Thank you for any help posted.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

umm

just use dhcp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Lycius

ntlbell wrote: »
    umm

just use dhcp?

At least I have something to google now! Thanks for the start off :)

hmm not sure what that is all about if I am being honest :(

I think I will explain a little bit better. I am at my brothers today. To access the internet on his router I have to set my IP Protocal to "Obtain Automatically" This in turn wiped my work Wireless IP address.

That is one example. Is there no way of saving that IP address so that I don't have to manually set it up again during the week? And then when I go to cork next weekend I will have a similar issue with having to use another completely different IP address. When I go back to the hotel I'll have ti wipe it to use their wirless :(

Is there a tool that can auto write IP addresses or where you can input many and choose which one you want to use?

Or can I set up new LANs and give them IP addresses?

I hope that make a bit more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Have a look at this guide. Probably what your looking for?

http://www.itsyourip.com/networking/how-to-add-multiple-ip-address-in-windows-2000xp2003/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

netsh will do it but there are probably lots of freebies out there

• Advertisement

Thank you all for the pointers. You have me on the right track now.

Appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 4JayZee

netsh will do it but there are probably lots of freebies out there

As per Capt'n Midnight's comment;

The command;

netsh interface ip set address "Wireless Network Connection" dhcp

will set your wifi card to collect addressing information from a DHCP server where one is available.

This command, correctly populated;

netsh interface ip set address "Wireless Network Connection" static <ip address> <subnet mask> <default gateway> 1

will set a given ip address. This one;

netsh interface ip set dns "Local Area Connection" static <static IP net's DNS>

will set your dns.

I keep a directory of batch files to quickly set my interfaces as required - sounds like you should too.

X

Advertisement