Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changes to proposed Blanchardstown M50 interchange

• 29-06-2008 2:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Some pics from the 'sabre' roads website show the underpasses are to be replaced with flyovers.

normal_n3new.jpg

normal_n3.jpg

normal_n32.jpg

Apparently this will lead to less railway disruption then the underpass option on the Eastern side. You can object to the proposal up to the 25th of July if thats your thing.

http://www.nra.ie/Publications/EISPublications/file,15160,en.pdf

Here is the EIS * best not to open it - its 48mbs!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The pedestrian walkway over the M50 (listed as Talbot Court on Google) will become a good deal longer.

You can see the white zig-zag route on the bottom right of the second image. I think that some land is being given to the tennis club so the ped route cannot go into their property.

The long route will be especially annoying for those who walk that route on the way to Castleknock Educate Together school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Its odd that the EIS gets published as the project as a whole has already begun :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Ireland's most complex junction award?

TBH I think they have done well to even route a pedestrian way through there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

daymobrew wrote: »
    The pedestrian walkway over the M50 (listed as Talbot Court on Google) will become a good deal longer.

You can see the white zig-zag route on the bottom right of the second image. I think that some land is being given to the tennis club so the ped route cannot go into their property.

The long route will be especially annoying for those who walk that route on the way to Castleknock Educate Together school.
    Unfortunately it seems to have become a pattern with major road upgrades to design the road then reverse engineer the pedestrian elements around the design. It results in long, convoluted, windswept routes that discourage the most congestion busting transport modes of all. Sad really. The M50 has really become an awful barrier to pedestrian and cycling movements and it should never have been allowed. In a perfect society plenty of underpasses should have been included in the original design. Ok, they'd have been potentia; anti-social trouble spots but that could be tackled with comprehensive and actively monitored Garda CCTV.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the ramp is so needlessly long, no need for the switch back , the height gain could could be done over the motorway , actually if they used a diagonal too over the motorway they could nearly halve the distance walked,

THE FARTHEST DISTANCE AN AMERICAN WILL WILLINGLY WALK BEFORE GETTING INTO A CAR: Six hundred feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭ofjames

can somebody explain to me how you will be able to get on M50 southbound coming from blanchardstown village? seeing as the existing sliproad is eliminated in the new layout

the ramp is so needlessly long, no need for the switch back , the height gain could could be done over the motorway , actually if they used a diagonal too over the motorway they could nearly halve the distance walked,
    Presumably the bridges are designed to be as short/cheap as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭steve-o

darkman2 wrote: »
    TBH I think they have done well to even route a pedestrian way through there!
    Why can't the pedestrian walkway stay exactly where it is now? Under the slip, over the motorway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

daymobrew wrote: »
    Presumably the bridges are designed to be as short/cheap as possible.
    no doubt but if you make the journey too long then they won't be used as much.

The whole project is being built to save people's time. Is the time of pedestrians less valuable ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

The whole project is being built to save people's time. Is the time of pedestrians less valuable ?

When the Luas was under construction, a set of pedestrian traffic lights on the Nass road at Ballymount were turned off and a sign erected (with an arrow) saying "use next pedestrian lights - 500m". Worked out at an almost 1km round trip to get to the bus stop I could see across the other side of the road. Pedestrians are cheap.

D.

• Advertisement

steve-o wrote: »
    Why can't the pedestrian walkway stay exactly where it is now? Under the slip, over the motorway.
    I think it is because the "alleyway" on the Castleknock Tennis Club side will be the property f the tennis club when the project is finished.
    Is the time of pedestrians less valuable ?
    Yes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

ofjames wrote: »
    can somebody explain to me how you will be able to get on M50 southbound coming from blanchardstown village? seeing as the existing sliproad is eliminated in the new layout
    The only way I can think of is to head onto the N3 outbound, then U-turn at the Blanch Centre junction. Then when you get back to the N3/M50 junction, follow the ramps to M50 south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

See Route here (apologies for the bad line overlay - I only have MS paint on this PC)!!!
    N3-M50.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

there is no sign of the new bridge they've already built into the hospital on them images either. Surely they're not going to knock it down after spending a year building it. hasn't even opened yet.

i also don't see how you can get from blanchardstown village to the m50 southbound. how could they have missed that??

see attached (stuck a blue mark top left) to show where the blanchardstown traffic meets the n3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

You're spot on Ciaran.... I didn't see the new turn off for Blanch Village. As spacetweek says, the only way is to get onto the N3-S at the 1st Blach Centre (Snugborough Rd) junction.
    This junction is already overcapacity..... and this would only make it worse, surly they will have to proved a proper grade separated junction.

Here is the old design, it doesn't shed much more light on the topic. (although it does show the new hospital bridge)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Don't worry if they get it wrong this time, they'll tear it down and rebuild it a second time. :D

Thats what happened in the 90's to the first M50 Blanch spaghetti junction, i used to walk my dog down that way at the time by the canal watching the whole spectacle being knocked down and rebuilt!

gurramok wrote: »
    Don't worry if they get it wrong this time, they'll tear it down and rebuild it a second time. :D

Thats what happened in the 90's to the first M50 Blanch spaghetti junction, i used to walk my dog down that way at the time by the canal watching the whole spectacle being knocked down and rebuilt!
    Surely such rebuilding was to keep traffic moving while building the whole thing - it happened at Red Cow interchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭ofjames

Originally Posted by ofjames viewpost.gif

Guys, ive been scrutinising this for a while and came up with the following possible solution.

I can see on the images what appears to be a sliproad off the N3 travelling towards the city centre, between the current blanchardstown roundabout and the auburn avenue junction.

I cant see where it leads to but i was wondering if it could be used as to bring blanchardstown village traffic onto the new bridge that feeds M3 traffic onto the M50 southbound, as shown on the image.

It would involve a rather steep curving on-ramp, do you guys think it's a runner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Guys, ive been scrutinising this for a while and came up with the following possible solution.

I can see on the images what appears to be a sliproad off the N3 travelling towards the city centre, between the current blanchardstown roundabout and the auburn avenue junction.

I cant see where it leads to but i was wondering if it could be used as to bring blanchardstown village traffic onto the new bridge that feeds M3 traffic onto the M50 southbound, as shown on the image.

It would involve a rather steep curving on-ramp, do you guys think it's a runner?

Sorry mate - I'd have to say no!

The ramp would be far too tight and steep, but it would also cause too much conflict with the proposed N3 West to M50 South (direct left) connector, where it merges with the N3 East to M50 South semi-loop overpass. The proposed ramp (you're not sure of) that you are talking about is actually an elongated left filter for the New River Road. This will also provide for right turn movements (eliminating right turns from the N3 East) onto Aurburn Avenue - and hence, a u-turn to access the N3 West and therefore, M50 South.

Hope this helps!

Advertisement