Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calling Science Teachers

• 29-06-2008 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

For a few years now I've been thinking about going into teaching, either in second or third level. Anyway, I want to ask any science teachers out there a few questions.

i) Other than the three best things about teaching, June, July and Augusts, what attracted you to teaching?

ii) Do you ever regret going into teaching? i.e. teaching the same thing over and over again etc.

iii) What would you say is the worst part of teaching?

Thanks in advance, I would love to hear about your experience teaching too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Herbie53

I never thought about June, July & August when I decided to become a teacher....I already had those months off so didn't know what it might be like without then and in fact was too young to think about it at all.

I first thought of being a teacher when I was in primary school (5th class as I remember) I wanted to be a maths teacher (I remember wanting to do or act or be like the maths teacher I had ( we had different teachers for different subjects). I was told I needed another subject to teach and I liked geography so that was it.......until.....

1st year introduced me to science , biology in fact as we didn't do any physics or chemistry in 1st year. Now I liked biology! I was good at it too...always a help. I think I had forgotten about teaching (or anything) at that stage.

2nd year brought Physics & chemistry. We had an absolutely CRAP physics teacher....terrible......and the book was awful so nothing to help me there. I remember thinking "I can do better than this" so there was a big motivation here.

It just grew on me then as both the subject, including biol & chem as well as maths grew mor and more on me.

3rd year brought a crappy Maths teacher so more motivation . . . anybody can do better than this.

I reckon I also liked some of the personalities of teachers I came across (not really sure).

Inter-cert year (4th year) hard work!
    5th year . . more new teachers with different personalities.
    Gave up physics as I knew the teacher was SH!T.
    Chemistry teacher turned out to be a bit poor, although I wasn't the best at it anyway.
    Another AWFUL maths teacher.
    Great Biology teacher ... wanted to teach biology.
    6th year - hard work - all I wanted to do was teach.
    Sport had an influence as well - I was playing at a high level and was interested in coaching at schools level.

Was advised to include physics in 1st year college to increase my chances of getting a job - schools get you to teach whatever you did in 1st year college.

Got a degree.

!st year teaching was given a junior cert PHYSICS class!
    Haven't looked back.
    Even got to teach applied maths - like that subject.

Yes yo ucan argue that the subjects won't change - they cant rewrite the lase of physics but after a period of stagnation in teaching methods I am not exploring new ways of doing the job. I became more reflective and hope I've avoided being one of those CRAPPY teachers although I do feel I can do better!

I've done the 1st year of an MSc through the open university (that module related to how we learn and understand and remember science) - very interesting - I really recommend it to any science teacher even if you never go on with the rest of the masters.
    Am now doing my second year - Radiotherapy and its Physics (not too much physics - do-able even if you're not a physics head)

I still love the job (after 21 years) and although am glad to be out of school right now - I know I will be keen to get going again in sept.

The worst part of teaching for me is interference by the principal - a real gobsh!t

They say ...........
    Primary teachers love their students, (nice!)
    Secondary teachers love their subjects, (I do!)
    University lecturers love themselves (maybe a little unkind!)

Find a reason to do something and you will do it well! (I just made that up ! :D).

ps I would be very interested to hear from other science teachers as to how they do the teaching thing - I might learn something.

herbie53.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Your attitude to your fellow teachers past and present leaves an AWFUL lot to be desired ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Your attitude to your fellow teachers past and present leaves an AWFUL lot to be desired ...Just surprised that you are in your 40s(presumably if teaching 21 years) -you sound like a HDip in September...Dont be so judgemental for God's sake ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

ytareh wrote: »
    Your attitude to your fellow teachers past and present leaves an AWFUL lot to be desired ...Just surprised that you are in your 40s(presumably if teaching 21 years) -you sound like a HDip in September...Dont be so judgemental for God's sake ...

keep it civil, or keep quiet. Did you really have to dig up a month old thread to get your spoke in?

Advertisement