Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI Graphics Card

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

nice thread guys, very informative....i was wondering about the whole ati audio thing myself since i got my 3850.

its good to know that i can get audio out with hdmi, but is there any way of connecting the audio to my computer speakers? would i even notice a difference between that and onboard sound?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Funkiwi75 wrote: »
    Just got back from the shops, Peats have the Asus HD3650/HTDI/256m for €89 and IT Direct can get the Asus EAH3650 SILENT/HTDI/512M for €80 so going to order once i get paid.
    If you can get the 256MB one cheaper than you should get that. The 3650 is a mid range card and I'd doubt it would be able to use anything more than 256MBs. Apart from that, it's good to see you've got it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Funkiwi75

From what i can assume from this post (Please correct me if im wrong, its the only way i learn) audio over HDMI cable will be to the TV/Monitor and will use the speakers on that, the sound will only be as good as the speakers, if you want to get the sound to your computer speakers you will have to use your sound card (Onboard/PCI/PCIe) and again will only be as good as the speakers attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Just checked the price on Elara and it is only €3 cheeper

The card I was referring to was the one with 512 MB GDDR2 Ram for €59.29 and from what I gather, the card you were referring to was the one with 512 MB GDDR3 Ram for €77.44. You would notice the difference in memory speeds when gaming with the GDDR3 card, but as you mentioned you are looking for a card for HTPC duties, I would go with the cheaper of the cards; I had also linked to the page of all 3650 cards in case you saw something else you liked.

Edit:
    Looking back over the cards though, ensure you choose a model that comes with the DVI=>HDMI adaptor as the card I mentioned for €59.29 doesn't seem to. Also, the card for €77.44 seems to have a better silent cooler than the one for €59.29, so if that is the same exact card you saw in IT Direct, get it from them instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

From what i can assume from this post (Please correct me if im wrong, its the only way i learn) audio over HDMI cable will be to the TV/Monitor and will use the speakers on that, the sound will only be as good as the speakers, if you want to get the sound to your computer speakers you will have to use your sound card (Onboard/PCI/PCIe) and again will only be as good as the speakers attached.

That's correct. The audio quality from HDMI=>TV will only be as good as the TV's speakers and the same can be said when using a sound card/onboard audio connected to speakers also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement