Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin pub suitable for americans...

Options
  • 29-06-2008 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Wondering if anyone can help me out..

I have two american tourists staying with me for a few days, a guy and a girl aged 23 and 25. They want to go out tonight and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a pub to take them to.

They're not too keen on clubs, so its a pub I want, but they'll probably want to stay out late - so any ideas for later-opening places that we could move on to?

It's tricky cos I don't want to take them to a crappy tourist hangout in the vein of 'The Temple Bar', but at the same time I don't want to bring them along to somwhere that'll be dead, particularly as it's a Sunday night. (And as I've said, clubs are a no-no).

Oh, and somewhere in town would be best. Cheers for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

That Aussie bar on Parnell st under cinema -Woolshed I think its called?

Sinnots near the Green

Messrs on quays

D2 on Harcourt st

Flannerys on Camden st

Whelans just down from it

After that Templebar is your best bet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Mulligans on Poolbeg Street
    Kehoes on South Anne Street (just off grafton street)
    Stags head, Long Hall or the Brazen Head

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

+1 for Kehoes, great little spot.. after that down to flannerys, then around the back to diceys if you need to change destination, cracking open air pub.. that'd be open late I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

RedorDead wrote: »
    Mulligans on Poolbeg Street
    Kehoes on South Anne Street (just off grafton street)
    Stags head, Long Hall or the Brazen Head

qft

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

From my own experiences with Yanks you might want to show them a few pubs, give them an idea of the variance and let them pick one to return to.

That little pub on Dawson St - I think it's called the Dawson Lounge, they might find that 'quaint'.
    Same goes for the The Long Stone.

I think there are pubs on Capel St that have live music on Sunday night ... that could be a winner too.

Still ... Brazen Head is likely to be your best bet. You can treat them to Burdocks on the way home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

Trilla wrote: »
    That Aussie bar on Parnell st under cinema -Woolshed I think its called?

Sinnots near the Green

Messrs on quays

D2 on Harcourt st

Flannerys on Camden st

Whelans just down from it

After that Templebar is your best bet...

They're possibly the 6 worst pubs in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Well, it's not exactly the best 'oirish' bar, but that probably a good thing - I've never had a bad night in Sin É.

(I know I'm a day late :o )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Daithio wrote: »

I'd have to agree with you there.

Since the recommendation was for last night I won't throw in my few here now, but needless to say it wouldn't have included any of those either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

The Hairy Lemon. Good atmosphere, good music (for the American taste), not to loud, not to quiet. Lots of nooks and crannies. Last time I had Americans over I took them there and they loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Daithio wrote: »

Absolutely, put you off drinking...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Nobody mentioned Grogans???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Why not the ****ing arlington and have done with it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 skybluejay

Degsy wrote: »
    Why not the ****ing arlington and have done with it??

Oh dear. We got a taxi home from town on their last day, and the taxi driver laid into me for not taking them to The Arlington to see the Irish dancers :rolleyes: ...and I think they were none too pleased!

The feckers wanted to go to Temple Bar in the end anyway, so that's where we went. But thanks lots for all the recommendations!

Advertisement