Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracing connection problems

Options
  • 29-06-2008 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Have a bit of a problem lately with the connection in work.
    Web pages seem to be timing out a lot. I can have a download going, messenger programs signed in, programs that remain constantly connected. But when pinging sites like google, or even eircoms dns server, i'm losing packets. What I don't understand is that the pings are low, avg of 83ms and packet loss of 5%.

The connection seems stable, in the sense that it's not dropping, line stats are:
    ADSL:
    6144/512 kbps
    Attenuation 17.0 dB/11.0 dB
    Noise Margin 15.0 dB/12.0 dB

The upload seems to have a crc error of 4 and I'm wonder if that's a problem that could be causing the 5% packet loss, the thing being, I remember seeing this before the problem arose.

The router being used is a Cisco 837.

At first I was putting this off thinking that the connection was just overburdened (20 machines connected), I've also checked the machines to see if any are zombies/infected and possibly eating bandwidth, but this doesn't seem to be a problem, also our ip address isn't shown as blacklisted. This problem also persists when the machines are disconnected or not in use.

Can anyone recommend any methods to troubleshoot the problem?

Thanks for any help,
    Rob

Advertisement