Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland & float planes?

Options
  • 29-06-2008 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    just wondering if there are any restrictions or regulations in relation to landing float planes in Irish waters.

The reason I ask is, I live in north Louth, miles away from the nearest landing strip, sure Dublin airport is only 35min by car but it’s at least that again down the M50 to Weston where the majority PP flights are based. That’s a long journey especially if I’m depending on weather at the dest.

Could I moore a float plane of a jetty and use the sea as my TO/LD strip.

Are there any disadvantages to using a floater?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

gavatron06 wrote: »
    Hi,
    just wondering if there are any restrictions or regulations in relation to landing float planes in Irish waters.

The reason I ask is, I live in north Louth, miles away from the nearest landing strip, sure Dublin airport is only 35min by car but it’s at least that again down the M50 to Weston where the majority PP flights are based. That’s a long journey especially if I’m depending on weather at the dest.

Could I moore a float plane of a jetty and use the sea as my TO/LD strip.

Are there any disadvantages to using a
    floater?

Not sure about legalities here, but the IAA might throw a spanner in the works as the CAA were doing in UK looking for locks to be regisitered as aerodromes :rolleyes:
    There are legalities in landing float planes on the likes of Blessington lakes since it is used as reservoir for human consumption.
    Also landing near protected wetlands etc may be prohibited.
    If you think weather at destination may be a problem, you have a whole different set of weather conditions to consider with a floatplane.
    Also are you near deep enough seawater, because if not your plane is beached at your jetty once the tide roles out and it looks a little embarassing.

To answer your last question one of the big disadvantages would probably be insurance costs. They AFAIK tend to be more expensive to insure.
    Also operating floats on salt water will mean more maintenance. Ideally you would want to be able to drag it our of the water.

You don't find many floats in this part of the world for a reason.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

national flight centre in weston is the only float plane operator i know of, a call to them will answer all your questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 G-CBHV

There's two float plane schools in the north Neil's Seaplanes with a husky for £185per hour and The Amphibious Flying Club at Eniskilllen with a Maule for £235per hour

Big disadvantage of sea planes is having to do everything at the side of the lake, Maintenance ect.. unless you have an amphib which is obviously more expensive to operate.

The only private sea plane i've heard of operating in Ireland is a cub in Lough Owel

AFAIK legally if the lake is public (ie you can launch a boat there) you can land your seaplane,

Would you consider operating a microlight? There's over 100 small strips scattered throughout the country and there could very well be one near you live. Possibly not as fun as seaplanes and certainly not as glamourous but very easy and cheap to get into and a good community in Ireland.

Advertisement