Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blatter admits there is a Plan B for 2010 World Cup

• 29-06-2008 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

FIFA President Sepp Blatter admits he has a Plan B organised should South Africa be unable to host the 2010 World Cup - but it will only be used if a disaster makes holding the tournament impossible there.
    Blatter gave a press conference before Sunday's Euro 2008 final between Germany and Spain here at Vienna's Ernst Happel Stadium and said the tournament would only be taken away from South Africa in dire circumstances.
    'I would be quite negligent as president if I did not have a Plan B tucked away at the back of a drawer,' said Blatter.

'But only a natural disaster would make it active,' he added pushing aside doubts over security and possible delays over construction of the stadiums.
    Safety is a major concern for the tournament in South Africa where there are dozens of murders every day.
    And a recent wave of violence against foreigners there has done nothing to ease fears.
    FIFA will give 150,000 free World Cup tickets to South African football fans, with unemployment running at 40 percent and the average wage is 700 euros per month.
    But next year's Confederations Cup, from June 14-28 2009, will be a big test for South Africa in the traditional warm-up before the World Cup is held there a year later.
    'If we had to activate the Plan B, we would do it after the Confederations Cup,' said Blatter.
    He added the cup will be used by FIFA to test the idea of using six officials at each the game, including a referee assigned to each penalty area to help control the game.
    'It would be interesting on a psychological level, because the players would know they are being observed in the penalty area,' said Blatter.
    'We will test this idea next year.'
    But Blatter batted off any suggestions of a video referee to give his verdict on key situations in a game, or the idea of having a micro-chip to confirm whether a goal had been scored, saying the ideas had been 'suspended'.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0629/blatter.html

It would be back to Germany I'd imagine if this were to happen as I have heard rumours that Fifa have asked Germany to be on standby to host the competition at short notice if they have to take it away from South Africa.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Australia were on stand-by, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

sounds like he's preparing the press for the inevitable. really hope South Africa can sort their sh*t out, but giving it to them was madness in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

sounds like he's preparing the press for the inevitable. really hope South Africa can sort their sh*t out, but giving it to them was madness in the first place.

Can't see SA sorting anything out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

DesF wrote: »

I really hope not. not another world cup with matches on at mad hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

"But only a natural disaster would make it active,' he added pushing aside doubts over security and possible delays over construction of the stadiums."

'If we had to activate the Plan B, we would do it after the Confederations Cup,'

Bit of a contradicition there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

I really don't want to see another world cup in Europe. Somewhere in South America would be a good choice. Can't beat South America for atmosphere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

love to see it in England tbh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I taught I read somewhere that its part of the deal if you win the right to host a world cup that you have to agree to be the stand by for the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

tdv wrote: »
    I really don't want to see another world cup in Europe. Somewhere in South America would be a good choice. Can't beat South America for atmosphere.

why would you want it far away? I want it as near as possible so i can actually go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

exactly what i thought

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

evad_lhorg wrote: »

SA is only two hours ahead of us(Dublin, London, Lisbon) and one hour ahead of Madrid etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

SA is only two hours ahead of us(Dublin, London, Lisbon) and one hour ahead of Madrid etc.

he was talking about the possibilty of Australia getting the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

think the mad hours evad was referring to, if should the tournament be given to austrialia, in the event of SA not being able to host it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Oh sorry.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    why would you want it far away? I want it as near as possible so i can actually go...

Well there hasnt been a world cup in South America for 30 years. Brazil were meant to be 2014 hosts anyway so by logical it should go them if SA are not able to host it. And it dosnet really seem fair that Germany should be aloud to host 2 in a row. I'm sure everyone is pretty sick of the germans by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Really hope to god that SA dont get it.Spent a year travelling in Africa in the 90's and certain parts of Johannesburg are complete hellholes.The atmosphere outside the tourist areas is one of constant tension and violence.There are plenty of areas where white people are not welcome full stop ( i know from experience).From what ive seen on the Web and news in general the place has if anything gotten worse since then :(.Before anyone jumps in here with two feet and goes on about how insulting that is to the rest of SA as many parts of it are trouble free etc....i know many parts are but im just pointing out from experience my feelings about the place.Believe you me having a gun pointed in your general ribs area doesnt leave a good taste in the mouth.As for plan B, i've no idea.Hopefully somewhere in Europe if Ireland qualify.

Well there hasnt been a world cup in South America for 30 years. Brazil were meant to be 2014 hosts anyway so by logical it should go them if SA are not able to host it. And it dosnet really seem fair that Germany should be aloud to host 2 in a row. I'm sure everyone is pretty sick of the germans by now.

Mexico ring a bell?

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Mexico ring a bell?

Well thats more central than south.

Well thats more central than south.

Well OK then.I'll let it go:D

I know, I was IN bleedin' Australia for the last one. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Why is this news there is always a plan B, look at the 86 World Cup it was to be in Colombia but was played in Mexico as Colombia was not ready for it.

Why is this news there is always a plan B, look at the 86 World Cup it was to be in Colombia but was played in Mexico as Colombia was not ready for it.

It's not that Colombia weren't ready, they'd had a devastating earthquake.

It's not that Colombia weren't ready, they'd had a devastating earthquake.

Didnt Mexico have an earthquake few months before 86 world cup?

Didnt Mexico have an earthquake few months before 86 world cup?

You are correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico_86
    Colombia was originally chosen as hosts by FIFA in June 1974. However, the Colombian authorities declared in November 1982 that they could not afford to host the World Cup under the terms that FIFA demanded. Mexico was selected on May 20, 1983 as the replacement hosts, beating the bids of Canada, and the United States (who eventually hosted the 1994 World Cup), and became the first nation to host two World Cups. This second World Cup in Mexico came only 16 years after the first one in 1970. A severe earthquake in September 1985, eight months before the tournament, cast doubt over Mexico's ability to organize the event; however, the stadiums were not affected and it was decided to go ahead with the preparations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

Really hope to god that SA dont get it.Spent a year travelling in Africa in the 90's and certain parts of Johannesburg are complete hellholes.The atmosphere outside the tourist areas is one of constant tension and violence.There are plenty of areas where white people are not welcome full stop ( i know from experience).From what ive seen on the Web and news in general the place has if anything gotten worse since then :(.Before anyone jumps in here with two feet and goes on about how insulting that is to the rest of SA as many parts of it are trouble free etc....i know many parts are but im just pointing out from experience my feelings about the place.Believe you me having a gun pointed in your general ribs area doesnt leave a good taste in the mouth.As for plan B, i've no idea.Hopefully somewhere in Europe if Ireland qualify.

I'm not sure Joburg is as bad as you make out - I've been here over a month now, and once you know whats what... you are *relatively* safe...

That being said i do believe having the wc here is utterly insane, people coming over here will be ill-equipped, people over here will be ill-equipped... come to think of it, the only people who will be ready for 2010 (in joburg at least) will be the thieves!

I dont want to paint an unfair picture of joburg here, i really love the place - but im a single guy and amnt taking risks with a partner/kids life... most all SAFFAs i know have a 2/3 year plan to emmigrate - they believe things will get bad after the WC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

SA hosted the 20-20 cricket WC last year without any problems. they are also due to host the next full cricket world cup. It may not be the same thing but I don't see a problem with organisation.

Magic Pips wrote: »
    I'm not sure Joburg is as bad as you make out - I've been here over a month now, and once you know whats what... you are *relatively* safe...

That being said i do believe having the wc here is utterly insane, people coming over here will be ill-equipped, people over here will be ill-equipped... come to think of it, the only people who will be ready for 2010 (in joburg at least) will be the thieves!

I dont want to paint an unfair picture of joburg here, i really love the place - but im a single guy and amnt taking risks with a partner/kids life... most all SAFFAs i know have a 2/3 year plan to emmigrate - they believe things will get bad after the WC

Like i said Magic Pips there are no doubt good areas (im no expert as i was only in Joburg 2 weeks) but as a backpacker i didnt like to stick to the tourist trial and went out and about the city to get a feel for the place and my honest opinion is it was one of the most tension filled places ive been to in my life.Im sure there will be a police crackdown for the WC but the gangs where in control as far as i could see and like i said if Ireland make it to the WC i'll prob give it a miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

SA really is a great spot, because its outside Europe and SA, but its got a good timezone option.

Still its a joke of a country, and imo is unlikely to improve politically by the time of the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

South Africa is on it's way to becoming the next Zimbabwe.

If i Ireland qualified I am not sure I would travel.

Only real alternatives are Germany and USA.

Aus may not be a great option as they would have trouble filling stadia for low profile games.

Hold on, what if we (Ireland) put in a bit with the Scots and the Icelanic and .....

• Advertisement
Advertisement