Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheapest county/town to insure in?

Options
  • 29-06-2008 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Lads,

jost got a new sets of wheels and began the quote rollercoaster...I noticed that if you live in a country rather than the capital your insurance can drop good few hundreds yoyos!

Does anyone know:

1. are you supposed to inform your insurer if you moved ie. from Galway to Dublin?
    If so, is it going to affect your insurance?

2. what are the "cheapest counties" or towns to insure yourself in, or, to be more specific, to use your vehicle in?

You can live in Dublin City Centre but if you use your car mostly outside of town and specify that in the online quotes there is a significant difference in prices!

Say I live in Roscommon now and therefore my insurance is 400 quid lower than in Dublin, but I'm moving there next month, what if my car get stolen/involved in an accident in a Dublin area *after I move there*? Is it still going to be covered?

You can normally declare where you're gonna be using your car primarly but of course you can travel anywhere in Ireland and have an accident anywhere either, am I missing something??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

if you move, you have to inform your insurer and you insurance may go up or down, or just stay the same.

If you dont advise and you have a claim, they could cancel your insurance for non-disclosure and not pay out on the claim, and just refund you what ever you paid for the insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What they'll ask is where the car is normally kept for most of the week. If you say Roscommon, have a claim and they find you've been working in Dublin all week then they'll probably not pay out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 RRoger

I knew there must be a catch, you could possibly insure it for even less but the policy would have been worthless after all..

thanks both robocop and afroman ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

A catch?

Anyone who wonders what the best way to mis-inform (is scam too strong a word?) their insurance company so that they don't have to pay the full premium invariably considers the insurance company's right to withhold pay-out due to the mis-information a "catch".

Not pointing at you OP, there's quite a few people who hold the sentiment that somehow it's not fair for the insurance company to void the policy if they've been lied to.

I have to say, I disagree wholeheartedly. Maybe this is fodder for a thread of it's own.

</rant>

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You must tell the full truth at proposal stage.

If you change address during the year however, I doubt it's necessary to inform your insurer. I've never heard of an increased premium mid term for a change of address.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

+1
    At the front of the policy, you state the location and where your car will be spending most of its time.
    If you change address mid term, so what. Tell he insurance if you wish, but
    next time you renew your policy you must tell them the new details or elce you will be lying and hence no payout.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

cashmni1 wrote: »
    +1
    At the front of the policy, you state the location and where your car will be spending most of its time.
    If you change address mid term, so what. Tell he insurance if you wish, but
    next time you renew your policy you must tell them the new details or elce you will be lying and hence no payout.

Yep. Absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bloke

I've never heard of an increased premium mid term for a change of address.

I recently moved from just outside Dublin to the city centre. AA charged me another €60 or so (about 15% of policy value) for the riskier address (halfway thru policy term).

The hilarious/maddening (delete as appropriate) thing was that I had changed from a 2.5L car to a much more sensible 1.6 a few weeks earlier and they made no refund, saying the lower premium would only apply from the renewal date!

So, to sum up:
    Risk increases during term = premium adjustment = more money for ins co.
    Risk decreases during term = no adjustment = ins co. keeps your money

So would advise the OP to tell the truth - as you can see they won't part with cash too easily so no point giving them an excuse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 RRoger

cheers for all the answers, as per your experiences bloke insurance companies will do everything to milk the money off you but hey..

@AudiChris you lost me completely, I wasn't asking what's the best way to cheat on the insurance company - I was very aware not to say that, just pointed out few factors affecting the quote

same if you import the car from the UK/Japan (you're enitled to buy anywhere you want) it's not cheating (a garage owner in Dublin could say so as you wouldn't buy it from the hardworking Irish traders, how dared you)

But interesting point - are you supposed to inform the insurer about the fact you've tinted your windows? One could say it impairs the visibility and increases chances of not spotting that drunk black cat crossing the road at night..

Not a word in my policy though (just about the modifications but putting a piece of foil against the sun..wouldn't call it modifying). I bet if I ring any of the insurers with a question the answer will always be YES!!, no matter if it's just a fancy sticker on your bumber, it still can make the following driver trying to read it so badly he may end up rearending you...

Advertisement