Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Requirements Question

Options
  • 29-06-2008 7:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

If a course has "Two C3 in HL, and 4 D3's at Ordinary" am I ****ed if i fail 2 subjects, when im only sitting 6? By this I mean, is there no way I can get onto the course if i only have 4 subjects to count?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

From the sounds of it yes. And remember kids, if you fail any of the big three, Maths, Irish, English, you fail the leaving cert.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

See, I took it up wrong. It says (or equivalent), which I took to mean the points equivalent of the combined results. Obviously not. I wouldve dropped down in some subjects if I knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

From the sounds of it yes. And remember kids, if you fail any of the big three, Maths, Irish, English, you fail the leaving cert.
    I thought they changed that to not include Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

It was my belief that you have to pass 5 subjects to pass the LC, but maybe I'm wrong... I think when places state they want you to "have a LC" that usually means 5 passes, so those requirements would be matriculation above that.

So if I dont meet the requirements, and the course places are not filled, could I still be offered a place in second/third round?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

1huge1 wrote: »
    I thought they changed that to not include Irish?

Might be right about that, can never remember what one needs to pass the LC.
    could I still be offered a place in second/third round?

Can't tell you but there is always a slim chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

If you don't fulfill any requirements then the CAO will not allocate you the place. However, some courses are not filled after round 2 of the CAO and institutions advertise this and people apply outside of the regular CAO process.

You cannot fail two of the big three subjects (Maths, English, and Irish) or else you fail the leaving cert.

The course is a music course, and ive been offered a place already,pending entry requirements. Thats just confusing me moreso.

UCD_Econ wrote: »

You cannot fail two of the big three subjects (Maths, English, and Irish) or else you fail the leaving cert.

Ah so thats it, I was so sick of hearing people at my school telling me if you fail Irish you fail your leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Well you need to pass Irish in order to attend any NUI college. So in that case failing Irish would be quite bad.

• Advertisement

UCD_Econ wrote: »
    Well you need to pass Irish in order to attend any NUI college. So in that case failing Irish would be quite bad.
    Ya I know, got 48% in pass irish in the pre without opening a book, hoping for about the same for the leaving (obviously not using it for points...)

Advertisement