Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Make sense to change after 2 years?

Options
  • 29-06-2008 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

My car is coming up to 2 years old. What are people's opinions of changing car regularly? I have no finance owing on my car and would have cash to replace it for the same model again.

So for an outlay of 8-10k I'd just be getting the same car but brand new?

Opinions please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

It makes no sense either

1) To buy new cars
    2) To trade in a perfectly good car.

ANY modern car will do 200k miles without major outlays on repair or maintenance.

A two year old car is essentialy new, so you are paying 10k for nothing IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Changing after 3-4 years is financially optimal according to the fleet companies etc.

Some keep their car until it's run into the ground, some change every year. Change when you feel like it. If you're happy with the cost involved, then what's holding you back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Kafer wrote: »
    My car is coming up to 2 years old. What are people's opinions of changing car regularly? I have no finance owing on my car and would have cash to replace it for the same model again.

So for an outlay of 8-10k I'd just be getting the same car but brand new?

Opinions please.

You must be mad. The amount of money you are losing- firstly by buying new and losing at least 3k as soon as you drive it off the forecourt, and secondly by doing the same thing again after only 2 years!!!

Why would you want a new car- let alone a brand new version of the one you only bought 2 years ago???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

If a totally new model was out and you REALLY fancied it, I'd say go for it.

However if it's basically a swap of number-plates and a different colour I wouldn't bother....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I was speaking to a few sales people and they don't want any 2 - 3 year old cars at the minute. They just can't shift them. People will rather pay the extra and get a brand new car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

Cheers lads,

Was just seeing what the general consensus was. I agree with Chris about keeping cars for 3-4 years. Cost to change is always smaller that changing every couple of years.

Money can stay nice and warm in a 5% deposit account. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,433 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

AudiChris wrote: »
    Changing after 3-4 years is financially optimal according to the fleet companies

For a fleet car maybe, but not for a privately owned car. Cheapest is to buy a cheap old reliable and mechanically sound car (for about a grand) and drive it into the ground (as in until it would need a major repair)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

unkel wrote: »
    For a fleet car maybe, but not for a privately owned car. Cheapest is to buy a cheap old reliable and mechanically sound car (for about a grand) and drive it into the ground (as in until it would need a major repair)

+1 bought a 00 avensis a year and a half ago for 5k had 45k miles on it. was like new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

unkel wrote: »

Cheapest way is to inherit a car for free and drive it till it costs more to repair than it's worth. I was referring to average change cycles. I reckon this would hold for anyone buying a new car or a second hand car that's 3-4 years old.

Doesn't work for the "buy it when it's old, drive it till it's dead" brigade, or for classic cars etc.

OP had a new car, so I replied in kind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I think the OP phrased the question wrong. Make Sense? What the hell does sense have to do with cars, it's all about passion!! :cool:

If you can afford it, if you want it, if you must do it, then do it! Otherwise don't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Mena wrote: »
    I think the OP phrased the question wrong. Make Sense? What the hell does sense have to do with cars, it's all about passion!! :cool:

If you can afford it, if you want it, if you must do it, then do it! Otherwise don't!
    If you can afford it, if you want it, if you must do it, then do it!
    Not a better line said...ever, i love it

Advertisement