Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

English Mild Ale

• 29-06-2008 8:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,414 ✭✭✭✭

Can you get any brands of this in bottles in Dublin offies? Or is it something that you can only get in England\on draught over there?

Does Newcastle Brown Ale count as a 'mild' or is it a 'bitter'?

Have just been reading about it in Booze: The Drinks Bible by Richard Neill (very interesting read, although Booze: A Social History by Andrew Barr has more depth).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Can you get any brands of this in bottles in Dublin offies? Or is it something that you can only get in England\on draught over there?

Does Newcastle Brown Ale count as a 'mild' or is it a 'bitter'?

Have just been reading about it in Booze: The Drinks Bible by Richard Neill (very interesting read, although Booze: A Social History by Andrew Barr has more depth).

Unfortunately I haven't seen any, but it has had a cloth cap/working class reputation in england for a long while a this has effect sales. So i suspect they don't see a market here

but those that have bottle mild usually end up calling it a brown ale or something similar to get away for the mild image, Mann's brown ale is a good example.

Newcastle brown ale is neither, its actually a blend beer of a pale ale and old to produce a nut brown ale and it was developed to counter act the popularity of pale ales.

Who know with the increasing import of ales into Ireland we may see some, but its is a style of beer that best in cask form if aviable

the is one possible exception in that cooper dark ale is available n the porter house and it supposed to be strong mild, worth trying but let warm up a little as they served it way to cold.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Newkie Brown is classified as a brown ale, and while there's a fair amount of stylistic overlap between milds and brown ales, I wouldn't regard it as similar to draught milds I've tried, being too sweet. It's probably the nearest you'll get in Dublin, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tippguy

bishops finger, 1698 ale, spitfire, londo pride, esb etc. all avaliable in d south

tippguy wrote: »
    bishops finger, 1698 ale, spitfire, londo pride, esb etc. all avaliable in d south

TheY have been for a while, but not sure what this has to do with a thread about mild?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

the real ale guide says most of the best mild and brown beers are made by the small brewers in the north of england--never drink that london crap-costs alot and tasts like p---s

• Advertisement

getz wrote: »
    never drink that london crap-costs alot and tasts like p---s
    I'd agree that Northern English beer tends to be better in general, but the London breweries still make some superb beers. I'd class the London Porter from both Fuller's and Meantime as among the best I've had. The Florence down in Herne Hill makes a lovely bitter called Weasel in the pub; likewise Brew Wharf's Wharf Trader. Can't argue with you on London prices, but there's definitely quality beer to be had.

Besides, given the state of Irish brewing, we're not exactly in a position to cast aspersions over here.

Pitfield do one of the best mild I have, although no longer in London city it self it depends if you include the London commuter belts, some good brewers doing intresting milds in Cambridgeshire

every year when i come over to ireland on holiday --i always bring over 12 bottles of real ale to give to the bar lads in my local--all lancashire and yorkshire small brewers with names like --emerdale -sheepshead- witch and pendle ---they love it

every year when i come over to ireland on holiday --i always bring over 12 bottles of real ale to give to the bar lads in my local--all lancashire and yorkshire small brewers with names like --emerdale -sheepshead- witch and pendle ---they love it

Redmonds of Ranelagh where trying to ship a couple of those over here, its still up in the air I think :(

Sorry should read "where trying to ship a couple of Yorkshire micro's over here, its still up in the air I think :(

You can get Emmerdale, Riggwelter and a bunch of other Black Sheep beers in Ireland now. Though I don't think any of them are "real ale" -- bizarrely, English brewers tend not to go in for bottle conditioning and pasteurise instead.

I've never had Moorhouse's Pendle Witch, but wasn't a big fan of the ones I did try, including their multi-award-winning Black Cat mild. Still, like I said, streets ahead of us.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    You can get Emmerdale, Riggwelter and a bunch of other Black Sheep beers in Ireland now. Though I don't think any of them are "real ale" -- bizarrely, English brewers tend not to go in for bottle conditioning and pasteurise instead.

My local superquinn and sap had Emmerdale and black sheep a while ago

i still prefer a good pint of irish guinness-when i walk in the bar they pull me 2 pints one straight down the other to sup

Advertisement