Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

new law for boy racers?

Options
  • 29-06-2008 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭

Is there a new law coming in for boy racers in July? Do the garda have the equipment to measure the noise? I understood they were testing this equipment but read somewhere they can now measure it. I cannot recall where!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

There has been equipment to measure noise levels for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭masterwriter

There has been equipment to measure noise levels for years.
    I was told they are testing sound meters to ensure they meet eu specs to provide evidence in court? That be right? What is the limit 74 or 80 db? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

More ignorance from the masses.

Just what's needed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

also if there's a new law, it's not a law just for boy racers. completely misleading thread title.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

ClioV6 wrote: »
    More ignorance from the masses.

Just what's needed :rolleyes:

+1 :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    also if there's a new law, it's not a law just for boy racers. completely misleading thread title.
    did you see the ? at the end it is not about your precious L plates that ye all know so much about

did you see the ? at the end it is not about your precious L plates that ye all know so much about

What defines a boy racer?

if you cannot answer without your so superior manner dont bother can find out else where

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Theres a bit of confusion here, the Eu was meant to bring in a european wide law regarding exhaust noise and the way to measure it, currently its just up to the gardai as to what is too noisy theres no actual noise limit, they can say 50db is too high and do you for it if they want.

The eu law is meant to make the gardai use meters to read the noise of an exhaust and the way they have to do it, ie it has to be so far back from the exhaust and has to be revved to such a level.

I haven't seen anything official on it though it just seems to be hearsay and the like, I cant find any official documentation to see exactly what it involves.

And I read somewhere that Porsche and Tvr manufactor there exhausts to a 106 DB reading so the Eu law will be based around this, again nothing offical on it, most performance exhausts are around 90 - 100DB. 85DB is the same as a normal conversation at 5 metres so its a bit low for an exhaust but I've also heard this level mentioned as it seems to be what the gardai go by now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I hate when people ask this stupid question. You know exactly what the stereotype of a 'boy racer' is.

• Advertisement

Max_Damage wrote: »
    I hate when people ask this stupid question. You know exactly what the stereotype of a 'boy racer' is.

No I don't.
    I've been called a boy racer a LOT and this is from people who have just seen me drive. My cars aren't loud, I don't speed around in them, I don't have music up loud with the windows down, they're modified tastefully, that's it.

IF that's what a "boy racer" is(which I hope to god it isn't because ye seem to look very much down on them) then..Why the targetting?
    if you cannot answer without your so superior manner dont bother can find out else where

So ya don't know then. That's grand.

Hi draffodx
    Had unsubscribed from this but got your reply in email. Thanks for your reply
    draffodx wrote: »
    Theres a bit of confusion here, the Eu was meant to bring in a european wide law regarding exhaust noise and the way to measure it, currently its just up to the gardai as to what is too noisy theres no actual noise limit, they can say 50db is too high and do you for it if they want.

The eu law is meant to make the gardai use meters to read the noise of an exhaust and the way they have to do it, ie it has to be so far back from the exhaust and has to be revved to such a level.
    but the law was not brought in?
    I haven't seen anything official on it though it just seems to be hearsay and the like, I cant find any official documentation to see exactly what it involves
    .I have a letter = dated Jan 08-from the garda saying they are currently reviewing sound meters to ensure they meet eu specs and provide technical evidence for court
    And I read somewhere that Porsche and Tvr manufactor there exhausts to a 106 DB reading so the Eu law will be based around this, again nothing offical on it, most performance exhausts are around 90 - 100DB. 85DB is the same as a normal conversation at 5 metres so its a bit low for an exhaust but I've also heard this level mentioned as it seems to be what the gardai go by now
    In the article at http://www.enniscorthyecho.ie/news/story/?trs=cwidqlojcw&cat=news it says 74 db

if one can be heard across town how loud might it be. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I dont understand why some people have such a thing against young males with cars. I think if they were on BMX bikes or skateboards you would still have a go at them, the noise from a modified car is less than that of a large truck, I dont hear people ( mostly middle aged men) giving out about truckers, or other middle aged men on Harleys ( just as noisy).

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I saw the question mark alright, I also read your original post, pity you didn't read mine, or put some thought into your reply.

I have no idea whether the law has been passed yet or not, I tried reading through the acts but found it very confusing and worded in such a manner as to confuse as to what it actually meant, such as I found and 85DB level for bikes but nothing for cars, 74DB would be extremely low as the chart below shows thats lower than a telephone dial!
    Weakest sound heard 0dB
    Whisper Quiet Library 30dB
    Normal conversation (3-5') 60-70dB
    Telephone dial tone 80dB
    City Traffic (inside car) 85dB
    Train whistle at 500', Truck Traffic 90dB
    Subway train at 200' 95dB
    Level at which sustained exposure may result in hearing loss 90 - 95dB
    Power mower at 3' 107dB
    Snowmobile, Motorcycle 100dB
    Power saw at 3' 110dB
    Sandblasting, Loud Rock Concert 115dB
    Pain begins 125dB
    Pneumatic riveter at 4' 125dB
    Even short term exposure can cause permanent damage - Loudest recommended exposure WITH hearing protection 140dB
    Jet engine at 100', Gun Blast 140dB
    Death of hearing tissue 180dB
    Loudest sound possible 194dB

I have the standard exhaust and I'd say its around 85DB and its grand, I never have earaches or any passengers or neighbours or anything complain about it. As has been said most performance exhausts are around 95 - 100DB which is around the same as a truck, I think the problem stems more from muppets driving up and down the small towns in ireland constantly annoying residents with loud exhausts

I think the problem stems more from muppets driving up and down the small towns in ireland constantly annoying residents with loud exhausts
    I imagine so I have nothing against car enthusiasts. Thanks for reply

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I don't know anything about EU laws existing or proposed, but in Germany the factory noise level of the factory exhaust (both noise at idle as in passing at a set distance) has been part of the vehicle paperwork for decades.

And so have decibel meters in police cars.

If they think your exhaust is too loud, they go and measure, compare with the vehicle data ....and it either is or isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Hmm if you see one of these
    http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/8302/car20ft.jpg

being driven by one of these
    http://cache.virtualtourist.com/1043429-The_Finglas_Bicycle-Dublin.jpg

I think thats a good definition of a boy racer.

Ian Beale wrote: »
    Hmm if you see one of these
    http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/8302/car20ft.jpg

being driven by one of these
    http://cache.virtualtourist.com/1043429-The_Finglas_Bicycle-Dublin.jpg

I think thats a good definition of a boy racer.

So if I see a modified Nova being drove by a skater type guy..that's a boy racer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

woman racers and old men racers in their 4x4s and SUV's are the problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

So if I see a modified Nova being drove by a skater type guy..that's a boy racer?

Pretty much except listen for a really loud exhaust,it sounds like its going 150 mph but it'll only be doing about 30 and the cars would be a bit tackier then the one in that picture.

Oh I found an instruction video for becoming a boy racer very informative,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKCXh7o0DqQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

The Gardai are on a sticky wicket here.....a modern day aston at full tilt will produce a rasp/growl well over 100db.

Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

I love rash, uninformed generalizations about people and their behaviour on the road based on what they drive. Because everyone driving a car with a spoiler or loud exhaust needs to be put down as a menace to society and a danger to public health:rolleyes:. And all those people driving jeeps, well they are planet destroying clowns who need to be put down too. And lets get onto women drivers....:rolleyes:

I would agree with a reasonable DB limit, but I could see it being abused by the cops if the measurement procedure was not properly outlined and always followed. Anyone modifying their exhaust does not make them a public nuisance, however we are all aware of the people screaming up and down towns each night waking people and this needs to be stopped. A bit of reason goes a long way.....

Bearcat wrote: »
    The Gardai are on a sticky wicket here.....a modern day aston at full tilt will produce a rasp/growl well over 100db.

Interesting.

it isn't measured at full tilt it's measured at light revs something around 2k i reckon

astraboy wrote: »
    however we are all aware of the people screaming up and down towns each night waking people and this needs to be stopped. A bit of reason goes a long way.....

its a joke in the town nearest to me theres aboout twenty cars that drive up and down the town constantly, one red corolla has an unreal loud exhaust, its louder at about 1k revs than my integra is when it engages vtec!

there a disgrace to proper car enthusiasts and taint people who actually take pride in there cars and yet the gardai do nothing about them, they should be told to get out of the town and stop being a nuisance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

it isn't measured at full tilt it's measured at light revs something around 2k i reckon

phew....have a 930 with a fabspeed box....its sporty as you plant it but mid range it just growls slightly...nothing to annoy the masses.

Have to say and I respect all petrol heads...the dustbins though on the back of civic types are very very noisey and from the forum I think our finest are zoning in on these machines.

Bearcat wrote: »
    phew....have a 930 with a fabspeed box....its sporty as you plant it but mid range it just growls slightly...nothing to annoy the masses.

Have to say and I respect all petrol heads...the dustbins though on the back of civic types are very very noisey and from the forum I think our finest are zoning in on these machines.

hopefully, i drive a honda integra type r and have kept the exhaust as quiet as possible, Its a proper performance car so it has that bit of noise but I see 1.4 civics and corollas and the likes with mad backboxes on them and the noise is even greater than from my car, I'm sick and tired of them as much as anyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Well I am going putting a straight through catless pipe on my motor as I care about blind people.

All ye hippies kill blind people:

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/10/15/eco.hybrid.blind/index.html

Do the decent thing and help out a much maligned minority.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I haven't seen anything official on it though it just seems to be hearsay and the like, I cant find any official documentation to see exactly what it involves.

Therein lies the problem - as usual, this is all scaremongering. AFAIK there are no noise limits defined in current legislation.

Part of the problem is that most 'loud' exhausts aren't actually any louder than a CIE bus or an artic - do we ban these as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Advertisement