Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

new law for boy racers?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

stevec wrote: »
    Part of the problem is that most 'loud' exhausts aren't actually any louder than a CIE bus or an artic - do we ban these as well?

I can't say that I've ever heard a bus or an truck from an adjoining housing estate (unless perhaps, in the dead of night)
    But I sure as sh1t hear a lot of loud "modified" cars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The loudest thing on my road is weedy, slow, little hairdryer moped.

Oh wait, that's me! :cool:
    I see the curtains twitching as I start it sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Is there a new law coming in for boy racers in July? Do the garda have the equipment to measure the noise? I understood they were testing this equipment but read somewhere they can now measure it. I cannot recall where!

Yes, Irish law is basically following what the british done...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

draffodx wrote: »
    its a joke in the town nearest to me theres aboout twenty cars that drive up and down the town constantly, one red corolla has an unreal loud exhaust, its louder at about 1k revs than my integra is when it engages vtec!

there a disgrace to proper car enthusiasts and taint people who actually take pride in there cars and yet the gardai do nothing about them, they should be told to get out of the town and stop being a nuisance

Excellent post, thats my opinion also, its a shame that a few apes in modified prams who piss people off with roaring exhausts and stupid burn offs in residental areas.
    They ruin it for true car people who have "real" sports cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Its just another example of something the Gardai can pull on you at a checkpoint. Unless there is a hefty fine involved or the superintendants daughter lives in your housing estate there will never be any enforcement.
    I have seen boy racers/modified car enthuasiests being pulled over before by cops on a personal mission getting read the riot act whether they did anything wrong or not, its just something else to add to the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

interesting points, all, but before the Powers That Be get all excited, they need to bear in mind......
    Declared noise level on new cars is not by dint of standing outside the factory door with a hand held sound meter bought in Maplins for 19.99 and hoping it doesn't go past XXdB. And that is all hand held meters can do.

I'd be more au-fait with noise tests for motorcycles, but cars won't differ too much. Ostensibly, motorcycle exhausts have different legal requirements, depending on engine size. Also, the EU test mandates that the test be carried out with a (calibrated!) sound meter, at a distance of (iirc) 7.5m to one SIDE of the machine (not the rear.....), and the motorcycle must be flat out/above a certain rpm, in 2nd. Now, given that flat out in 2nd on most sports bikes these days sees you above the (artist formally known as..) National limit, let alone any urban one, will the GTC be investing in a proving ground - acoustically isolated, of course - or be renting Mondello and paying your expenses to travel there and turn up for your sound test? :p Or will they just close the main road through Phoenix Park once a week to allow us tear up and down............to test our pipes? Enquiring Minds Want to Know !

The whole thing is nonsense, of course. Because the EU also allows for whether the gearbox is manual or automatic, and whether the engine is two-stroke or four-stroke. My RGV250K, for instance, a 250cc v-twin two stroke has a spine tingling buzz at about.............11k rpm. I love it, but a lot of people, probably, don't. My H-D, though, at tickover, sounds like the impending End of the World, and most people do love it. However, the RGV is 100% legal. The H-D.........well, not quite ;)

So, at the side of the road your sound-meter wielding GTC guy might hate my RGV, and it's the one that drives the neighbours nuts (2-stroke, remember........)........but he can't do anything about it. On the H-D he'll probably just stop me to admire the bike (has happened, btw......).

So where does that leave us ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I hate that crap too. These pricks driving around with their loud exhausts. I guess the only solution is to take a jackhammer and start drilling outside their house first thing in the morning and continue to do so for 3-4 hours. Making sure first of all you have used the jackhammer on their car.

Turnaround is fair play :)

Actually come to think of it. If these "modified" exhausts are breaking noise regulations, why is it legal to sell them in the first place? I mean if they are always going to break noise regulations no matter how they are used, why should they be permitted in the first place? Admittedly I don't know much about cars and stuff but to me a 2 pronged approach would be better - ban the sale of them and ban the use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

These kind of laws are rubbish... I bet they wont be making Ferrari owners or fat blokes on Harley Davidsons get their exhausts changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I can't say that I've ever heard a bus or an truck from an adjoining housing estate (unless perhaps, in the dead of night)
    But I sure as sh1t hear a lot of loud "modified" cars!

This is the problem but the gardai dont tackle it properly, they just set up a checkpoint out of town and catch one or two of the muppets while also annoying the head of anyone that happens to come along in a proper performance car but doesn't drive up and town residental areas constantly, trying to impress 16 year old girls!
    S.I.R wrote: »
    Yes, Irish law is basically following what the british done...

no its not the law in Ireland as it stands completely leaves it up to the gardai as to what is not an acceptable noise limit, there are no guidlines or regulations for it and the new law is from the european union, nothing to do with the british law which currently says the ploice must use decibel meters anyway
    Actually come to think of it. If these "modified" exhausts are breaking noise regulations, why is it legal to sell them in the first place? I mean if they are always going to break noise regulations no matter how they are used, why should they be permitted in the first place? Admittedly I don't know much about cars and stuff but to me a 2 pronged approach would be better - ban the sale of them and ban the use.

They are for sale because you can use them as performance parts if your building a track car to use for yourself, most of them say on the box not for public use only for track use, I think it would be unfair to ban after market products for people that use them properly, its 17 - 20 year old idiots that stick 3- 4 inch backboxes on 1.4 civics and corollas and clios and focus's thats the problem.
    steve06 wrote: »
    These kind of laws are rubbish... I bet they wont be making Ferrari owners or fat blokes on Harley Davidsons get their exhausts changed.

The only way it will work is if the gardai target properly, set up and measuring checkpoint in the towns or residental areas affected on a fri/sat/sun night and they'll get every single muppet from around, fine them and give them penalty points, if there at the same thing again a month later impound the car.

The thing with this is I drive a performance car and I'd be worried I'd be targeted because of this, my exhaust is standard and doesn't make that much noise and i only go into the town to get something dont drive up and down making a nuisance of myself but the good old gardai are that narrow minded that you'd never know how they'd use there powers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Coming from the typical stereotype of a boy racer and my opinion -

You are not a boy racer if you drive a Clio V6!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

iRock wrote: »
    Coming from the typical stereotype of a boy racer and my opinion -

You are not a boy racer if you drive a Clio V6!

who said you were?
    Why is every time somebody mentions Boy Racers all the "modified car enthuasiests" get their panties in a twist trying to distance themselves and convince us they are completey different things.
    Keep on topic because nobody cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Will noisy cars that are factory be allowed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

NiSmO wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

+1. We should be glad that cars can be loud. What's the point in having a V8 or V10 if nobody can hear the glorious noise it can make? Personally, I want to hear an M5 or S5 or whatever fly by and hear that engine working hard. You're never going to be able to use the considerable performance on offer from any of these machines, but at least you can in theory hear these engines in action. What's the point in paying for the running costs of anything more than 4 cylinders if you don't get a good soundtrack in return?

I constantly bemoan the way BMW and Volvo have quietened down their 6 and 5 cylinder petrols respectively so much in recent times.

Both used to sound fantastic and could easily be heard easily if somebody drove by you. Now you can only hear that lovely sound if you're inside the car. 5 pot Volvos actually sound indistinguishable from the outside to 4 pot Volvos. When there were more and more S70/V70/850s around the place you could hear them miles away and that lovely 5 pot warble accompanying them too. Similarly you always knew when a 6 pot BMW was on the scene and that glorious 6 cylinder noise that came with it. The E34 used to let people know you were coming about 5 mins before you actually did. The E28 and E30 were better still. Now that noise is only audible when you're right next to one or in one:(.

Car makers should be trying to promote these type of engines, which make noises worth hearing, in stark contrast to the tin cans in the back of a 1.0 Corsa or 1.1 Fiesta or whatever.

Advertisement