Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuter bike - a few questions:

Options
  • 29-06-2008 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

I'm currently riding my husband's old bicycle but as time goes on I'd like to get my own bike, we'll probably each need a bike in a couple month's time but it would be nice to go for trips together as well. Besides, I'm fecking sick of my husband's crappy derailer. Shift, damn you!

1) Is it better value to get a bike with panier racks/mudguards already installed or to buy them seperately and install them myself?

2) Is there any reason to buy a women's bicycle other than wearing skirts while cycling (which I am unlikely to do, but I suppose you never know)?

3) Anything I should be aware of (salesman bull****) when buying the bicycle?

4) Anyone got a recommendation for a second hand bike store in Galway? I might buy new but I'd like to see if I can find something used... I'd like to keep everything under €300 if possible, including accessories. (Of which I require: lights, bell, rear panier rack, paniers*, mud guards)

*may have to be outside of the €300 for the paniers I guess

5) Bonus question: any ideas on fixing my husband's derailer? Or should we just get a new one? I'm hesitant to try anything because I'm afraid halford's (the only bike shop in Sligo) will screw the bike up if they do anything more complicated than changing brake lines.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Xiney wrote: »
    I'm currently riding my husband's old bicycle but as time goes on I'd like to get my own bike, we'll probably each need a bike in a couple month's time but it would be nice to go for trips together as well. Besides, I'm fecking sick of my husband's crappy derailer. Shift, damn you!

1) Is it better value to get a bike with panier racks/mudguards already installed or to buy them seperately and install them myself?

Get them installed with the bike, they'll probably do you a deal.
    2) Is there any reason to buy a women's bicycle other than wearing skirts while cycling (which I am unlikely to do, but I suppose you never know)?

Not qualified to answer this.
    3) Anything I should be aware of (salesman bull****) when buying the bicycle?

Not really. Try and make sure that a first service to tighten gear cables is included
    4) Anyone got a recommendation for a second hand bike store in Galway? I might buy new but I'd like to see if I can find something used... I'd like to keep everything under €300 if possible, including accessories. (Of which I require: lights, bell, rear panier rack, paniers*, mud guards)

*may have to be outside of the €300 for the paniers I guess

No idea of shop. That budget is ambitious. If you will use the bike a lot, it would really be worthwhile going to 400 or so.
    5) Bonus question: any ideas on fixing my husband's derailer? Or should we just get a new one? I'm hesitant to try anything because I'm afraid halford's (the only bike shop in Sligo) will screw the bike up if they do anything more complicated than changing brake lines.

Clean the chain and derailler. Ask them to replace the gear cable and tune the derailler. Gear cable and tune should be around 30 euro, no more. It is not hard to do, they'd have a tough time screwing it up. If it still don't shift, probably need a new cassette (set of cogs at the back) and if you get a new cassette, you generally should get a new chain and chainrings (front cogs). At this point, unless it's a good bike, a new one might be a better investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I'm hoping to keep it closer to 300 than 400 but I guess I kind of already know I'll be headed towards 400.

It's just that part of the reason I'm cycling is due to a lack of income.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Not much difference really, other than it will likely be cheaper to get them with as Verb says.
    Generally, no, there is no real reason to get a "women's bicycle" in the sense of the extremely sloping top tube with easy step-over. On the higher end you will find woman-specific designs that cater for the different average leg/torso ratio women have compared to men, but these frames still have a general look similar to a male frame. It is not really an issue with a commuter bike; it may make riding in a long skirt a bit easier but I don't know that is ever going to work particularly well on a bike. My own GF has two bikes, both of which are male geometry with a high crossbar.

Having said all that, there is no major disadvantage in a commuter bike with that extreme sloping "womens" frame shape; don't let it dissuade you either if you find a bike you like with that shape. Geometricallly it is not as strong as a twin-diamond shape but in real terms with a commuter bike that won't be an issue.

What about the Giant Expression commuter? It's very reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

What about the Giant Expression commuter? It's very reasonably priced.
    Looks like a good cheap bike- Giant are a good brand, if you get it from a good bike shop you can bring it back to sounds like a good plan!

• Advertisement

excellent, looks like that's what I'll be doing so!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I'm fecking sick of my husband's crappy derailer. Shift, damn you!

Then don't settle for deraileurs, they're ****!
    Get some hub gears. They're very low maintenance, and you can shift them even when your stopped. Plus they don't get clogged up with dirt. The downside is that there's less numbers, and they're generally more expensive.

Personally, I have the bike you're after. Rear panniers and mudguards, hub gears, and dynamo lights so that I don't need batteries. Sadly, they don't make them any more, and I already have mine :)

But this looks kinda like what you're after http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=87564

That does look pretty much perfect.

However I really can't go that high for price, and hub gears are way more expensive to fix if something does go wrong with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

Hi

there is a good size bike shop at the Merlin end of the Headford Road in Galway. They do a range of bikes and repairs.

I do not know any place further north toward sligo.

There's a cycle shop in Ballina (Hopkins, I think) and I might visit there just for kicks, but I'm pretty sure I'll be buying in Galway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement