Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what the hell can i do with...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

anywayz now im dead. theres no way im sticking to these crap jobs and living at home with 0 cashflow so suicide is only option.

:D
    Haven't you ever actually thought about what you were to do for 5 days a week over the next few decades?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

anywayz now im dead. theres no way im sticking to these crap jobs and living at home with 0 cashflow so suicide is only option.

ps, regarding work in BANK=are you f*king kidding me? how about i rob the place. I actually went into one today and had to Queue for bout an hour while they dealt with an absolute conveyer belt of sh*te from people like me and when i actually got to the counter i decided not to do any banking just to give the chick a break.

Wow... take a deep breath and try to remember that you're an adult.
    there are plenty of jobs that you could get that will earn you more than '0 cashflow' but to be honest turning your noes up at a job in the bank is making me lose sympathy with you.

What did you think you were getting into when you started your degree? I have much better results than you but it's not as if I'm waltzing into my dream job because it's an arts degree, but I'm not complaining because I knew that it would be like that when I started.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

stereoroid wrote: »
    Are you on crack? The original poster is clearly upset, talking about suicide, and your response is to call him stupid? What planet did you come from, and when are you going back? :mad:
    Actually the posts dont seem to me that hes that upset and I definetly dont think the suicide comment was meant to be serious.
    I think other posters are talking about careers in the financial world because they seem to be the employers who want "a degree - any degree" from all applicants, regardless of what that degree is in.
    lol.
    Good jobs in FS are the most sought after and competitive.
    That's not just retail banking, by the way, it's also relevant to other financial services such as insurance and investment banking. Why not pick out a few names in the IFSC and ask about their Management tracks?
    Yup, every type of company needs support staff, secretaries, filing clerks, receptionists, but dont kid yourself if you think you're going to be starting on 50k
    To the rest of you: go ahead, think what you want, but why dump on a guy who came here asking for help? Can't you imagine yourself in the same position? Try developing those "soft skills" that employers seem to want these days. :rolleyes:

Nothing about this poster makes me think hes looking for help or advice. It reads like a big joke tbh

Id also like to point out the OP has 2 other identical threads in other fora.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

So did I, in fact I ran a society that had no purpose other than drink in my final year, but guess what: good degree and a good job. Give the excuses a rest, if you got a pass arts degree you're just stupid

Again with the making examples of pass arts degrees. In fairness a pass degree in anything is useless, and no state funded college is likely to take you on for a postgrad. I know of people with pass law degrees who have had to work very hard to get anywhere.

Are you an arts student Kaptain ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Aren't the banks not hiring though at the moment with the proposed change of the economy. Having such a poor degree is not gonna help you get places when a good chunk of the country have 3rd level degrees. And good ones.

If you don't like the bank, you could always go into a trade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

There's teh civil service.

YOu don't even need a LC to go in as a clerical officer.

the requirements for executive officer are the following:

[QUOTE}At present, requirements for this position are such that applicants must:

(i) have obtained a recognised degree; or
    (ii) have achieved a satisfactory standard in the Leaving Certificate or an examination of an equivalent standard, in Mathematics and Irish and/or English and any of the following:

a pass in the first year examination of a course leading to a recognised degree or
    a certificate or other qualification obtained following a course of at least two years full time duration recognised by the National Council for Educational Awards [/QUOTE]

So there's at least one good thing you can do.

If you got good points you've obviously got brains so you can make up for not doing much all along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

It may be best just to bite the bullet and apply for MA's/MLitts of whatever in private colleges. I realise that it is not a preferred option, however, it can cgive you a chance to rectify the disapointing degree mark. You have achieved a very decent leaving cert, I think that would indicate that you have ability, thus if you work hard enough you will have no trouble. I think this business of telling the op to move into a trade or the bank is shortsighted. I would encourage you to get further education which will stand to you.

Het-Field wrote: »
    Again with the making examples of pass arts degrees. In fairness a pass degree in anything is useless, and no state funded college is likely to take you on for a postgrad. I know of people with pass law degrees who have had to work very hard to get anywhere.

Are you an arts student Kaptain ?
    If its not clear from that post, I'm no longer an undergrad.

I always wanted to do arts though and when I was in 2nd year I had the mad idea that I'd do a BA after I graduated (I had many ideas about how I was going to stay in college) and did English and History with a friend of mine for a semester - went to all the lectures/tutorials, did the readings etc.
    Decided it wasnt for me - I didnt feel I was gaining anything.

My brother in law who studied some of his post grad in UCD and taught there said he thinks it has the lowest standard of any uni hes been in, and hes been in 3 in Ireland and others abroad.

Edit: If I was to do a BA, I think Id do it in TCD (for english) or UCG (for history) but I dont plan on doing either. I'll be in education for another 5 years and I think by then I'll have taken my fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Banks aren't all bad! It's not all counter work in a branch. Bank head offices are totally different for a start.

• Advertisement
Advertisement