Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 advice

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

Hi, I bought a 2002 A4tdi 130 3 years ago with 80,000 miles on it. My dad bought it from me last year and there is now over 120,000 miles on it. The are a great car if properly looked after. Change the timing belt if not already done recently. Spend the extra on really good oil (i used castrol gtx magnetec). A common problem seems to be that the airbag light comes on in the dashboard. I took mine to a guy with the diagnostic setup and he told me it is a common fault with an airbag sensor but it's not dangerous. The 130 will have loads of power and torque and should return approx 50mpg dependant on your driving style. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭darrenoneill33

Great thanks. Whats the approx cost of having the timing belt changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

You know you can buy a far superior mondeo for similar money.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The 130bhp engine in the Mondeo is very good, but in that case, it'd be hard to ignore the Passat, especially as they're similarly sized.

Ya i've been kinda considering a passat as well and reading up a bit about them as well

• Advertisement

With anything around the 120,000 miles on the clock would it be very foolish to buy without a detailed service history? would the most important thing be to find out when the timing belt was last changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

With anything around the 120,000 miles on the clock would it be very foolish to buy without a detailed service history? would the most important thing be to find out when the timing belt was last changed?

Yeah, i'd be looking for a full service history anyway.I'd look in the service history for the timing belt being done at around 100/120k miles (with dealer stamp), i think its 60k intervals for the a4.If it hasnt been done, it's more money to spend on top of the price of buying the car.

Thanks, ya i suppose its vital to have some sort of history available or it could end up costly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Get the A4 , its a cracking car lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

my brother is selling a 04 A4 for €19k with 85k on the clock?

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A4/SE-130bhp/979294/

I drove it for a week while my passat was out of action.
    Really nice looking car and a really nice drive too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭colorc

A friend of mine is selling this
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/318/Ci-SE/998689/
    really great car.... if your looking to go down the beamer route!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

1.9tdi :eek:

It is to diesel engines what a sundial is to watches :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Get a Passat. More spec, space and less money.
    Spend the difference on an expensive suit if you want to look like a big man.

Ignore the mondeo. Interior and quality is a step below whilst ride and handling are better.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Passat/1.9-TDI/1076297/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

1.9tdi :eek:

It is to diesel engines what a sundial is to watches :D

You mean it will still be running in thousands of years when newer more "advanced" versions stop working after 2 or 3 years :)

ShayK1 wrote: »
    my brother is selling a 04 A4 for €19k with 85k on the clock?

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A4/SE-130bhp/979294/

I drove it for a week while my passat was out of action.
    Really nice looking car and a really nice drive too.

Looks like a great car, pity its over my budget though i'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

I had a mondeo long time ago, it was ok but I would not buy another..
    Passat is nice but you will have more presence in the A4 in my opinion.
    Passat is too common eith everything, taxis's fleet drivers, your next door neighbours Dad etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

mondeo wrote: »
    I had a mondeo long time ago, it was ok but I would not buy another..
    Passat is nice but you will have more presence in the A4 in my opinion.
    Passat is too common eith everything, taxis's fleet drivers, your next door neighbours Dad etc.

What does have more presence mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Looks like a great car, pity its over my budget though i'm afraid.

do you mind if I ask what your budget is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Have been thinking of buying an A4 around the 2001 to 2003 mark.

Anything in particular to look out for in one that would have already done about 120,000 miles or more?

such as the examples below. the timing belt...etc. Realistically how good are these cars to put up really big mileage if looked after properly

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A4/1.9-TDI/967270/

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A4/1.9-TDI/1099810/

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A4/1.9TDI/1033559/

As a former owner of a high milage A4 i might be in a better position to give you some insite. As you can see you get a lot of conflicting views and even out right hatred of diesel A4's which i have never understood.

When i bought my 2001 (newer model) A4 it had 95,000 miles on it. It was the 130bhp model (which i'd recommend over the 100bhp model) and an English import. The guy who imported it before me was selling it as he was doing 800 miles a week and wanted to down grade to something cheaper that he did not mind driving into the ground. Think he bought a mondeo or Laguna.

Anyway the car came with a full service history and was well kept. i did the usual checks, cartell, hpi and a had a mechanic give a going over. Owned it for 2 years and i was extremely happy with it. I found it very reliable, never gave me any problems what so ever. Very good too on the juice, i was getting between 45 and 55mpg. Of course it depends on how hard you drive it. Plenty of poke and acceleration for my needs too. Very comfortable over taking or just crusing along on the road. When i sold it on this year it had 125,000 miles on it. I done the timing belts, pulleys and water pumps plus a full service before i sold it and that cost me 800 bucks in a non dealer garage.

All i can tell you as a previous owner and not some one with a grudge against them is that i'd recommend them. i plan to buy either another A4 or an Accord next year. Very comfortable and a nice drive. One thing i would say though is there is a lot of them on the market right now. This might be good for you buying but maybe a problem when it comes to selling it on. Just something to keep in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Road presence means, you can bully everybody off the road! Audi's the new beemers! :D

Only kidding, while i do really like the A4, i thought it was a mix between the VW jetta 02 model my brother had in America which was full leather etc and a passet.

Shoot me for saying this but i think you can do better for your money. You'd really want an immaculate car.
    Sorry for offending, great car just not found of the huge prices charged for them!

• Advertisement

As a former owner of a high milage A4 i might be in a better position to give you some insite. As you can see you get a lot of conflicting views and even out right hatred of diesel A4's which i have never understood.

When i bought my 2001 (newer model) A4 it had 95,000 miles on it. It was the 130bhp model (which i'd recommend over the 100bhp model) and an English import. The guy who imported it before me was selling it as he was doing 800 miles a week and wanted to down grade to something cheaper that he did not mind driving into the ground. Think he bought a mondeo or Laguna.

Anyway the car came with a full service history and was well kept. i did the usual checks, cartell, hpi and a had a mechanic give a going over. Owned it for 2 years and i was extremely happy with it. I found it very reliable, never gave me any problems what so ever. Very good too on the juice, i was getting between 45 and 55mpg. Of course it depends on how hard you drive it. Plenty of poke and acceleration for my needs too. Very comfortable over taking or just crusing along on the road. When i sold it on this year it had 125,000 miles on it. I done the timing belts, pulleys and water pumps plus a full service before i sold it and that cost me 800 bucks in a non dealer garage.

All i can tell you as a previous owner and not some one with a grudge against them is that i'd recommend them. i plan to buy either another A4 or an Accord next year. Very comfortable and a nice drive. One thing i would say though is there is a lot of them on the market right now. This might be good for you buying but maybe a problem when it comes to selling it on. Just something to keep in mind.

Thanks very much for the reply, thats a big help

ShayK1 wrote: »
    do you mind if I ask what your budget is?

Around the 14,000 mark id say. Have a 02 Avensis that i want to get rid of too, so i dunno if i should go with a dealer or private sale. I know a dealer will probably screw me over but the possibility of having the Avensis for private sale and not geting any takers is a worry too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I'm currently on my second A4 and have no complaints but as an earlier poster said the power in the 130bhp that was my last model was far more than my current 115bhp particularly from 0kmh.

The belt needs to be changed around 60k. An independent dealer will do it for about €400 (in Dublin).

The airbag light came on in the current car but it was only a loose wire under the seat.

Hope this helps.

great thanks!

wonder what effect the new VRT will have on a4's in the 2001-2004 range...will we see reductions in prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

great thanks!

wonder what effect the new VRT will have on a4's in the 2001-2004 range...will we see reductions in prices?

It should, the market is awash with them at the moment especially imports. Don't rule out going over to the UK for one either. The VRT on the diesels is now reduced. You are also getting a higher spec car and probably looked after better. A high miler UK A4 probably means it was driven alot on nice motorways. Just make sure it is HPI clear and has a service history.

Are those HPI checks very accurate? is there any chance of something slipping through

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭spillcoe

What's the story with people having a grudge against the diesel A4's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Get a Passat. More spec, space and less money.
    Spend the difference on an expensive suit if you want to look like a big man.

Ignore the mondeo. Interior and quality is a step below whilst ride and handling are better.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Passat/1.9-TDI/1076297/

If you like iffy plastics and rattles buy a passat by all means , and before you ask I had a 07 one as a company car (not by choice).

been thinking about it last couple days and still drawn towards the Audi. Prefer the look i think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

been thinking about it last couple days and still drawn towards the Audi. Prefer the look i think

TBH Only had this conversation yesterday. I know it's not the best car in the world but I just like it. It's that simple!

Advertisement