Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who was on ramos' shirt?

• 29-06-2008 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

I just couldn't see it properly or was chatting every time a clear view seemed to be shown

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Antonio Puerta. It was mentioned in the match thread. Nice touch by Ramos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Puerta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

antonio puerta id imagine..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I think it was the young Sevilla player Antonio Puerta that died last year, I could be wrong

Edit: beaten too it

Class act by Ramos. Was disappointed not to at the very least see Palop doing the same.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Agreed.Very nice gesture.Well done lad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

TBH I was expectin a bigger deal....well done Ramos though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Fair play to Ramos but like esteban I thought they would sone something else as well!

P.S. I love the way someone had already updated Wiki!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Class act by Ramos. Was disappointed not to at the very least see Palop doing the same.....
    Yeah nice gesture, was expecting a few of them to do it though, what was the jersey Palop was wearing? Some kind of old goalkeepers jersey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

He dedicated it to the guy in my signature...

Sergio Ramos and Puerta were good friends for years, they grew up in the youth system together so he obviously had one of the biggest connections, still disappointed to see only him giving a dedication...

RIP Antonio Puerta, lets hope your son can follow in your footsteps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

What was the green flag Ramos had wrapped around him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Andalusian flag I presume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

podge018 wrote: »
    Andalusian flag I presume.

andaluciaeco.jpg

Thought it was something like that but could only think of the Spanish Republican flag which is found a lot in the south but has no green in it. The country is still as split as ever, wonder how Bojan was feeling after the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

The third choice goalkeeper was wearing the retro goalkeepers shirt of the Goalkeeper, Luis Arconda who conceded a dubious goal to who else but Michel Platinit in the final of the euros in 1984.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

bohsman wrote: »
    Thought it was something like that but could only think of the Spanish Republican flag which is found a lot in the south but has no green in it. The country is still as split as ever, wonder how Bojan was feeling after the match.
    Phil Ball wrote:
    Whilst the papers screamed their headlines and their editorials looked forward to South Africa in two years' time, the blogs were full of arguments over whether Sergio Ramos should have been wearing the Andalucian flag as he celebrated the win. The idea was that if Xavi had done the same with the Catalan flag, and Xabi Alonso with the Basque, all hell would have broken loose, and then Civil War. It's a reasonable point, and Alonso did look distinctly uncomfortable for one nano-second when Santi Cazorla passed him the Spanish flag, but he soon passed it on quickly enough to cause the minimum of fuss.

But enough of such nonsense. Isn't it possible for the Spanish to simply celebrate something, and accept that Andalucian flags, Basque flags and Catalan ones are all part of the Spanish thing? The sight of Catalans, a Basque, and a naturalised Brazilian dancing along in all sincerity with the rest of them is surely the message that we should take home. More of this kind of stuff and the extremists might have a tougher job on their hands.
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=552825&sec=euro2008&root=euro2008&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1&cc=3436

If that was a british isles team that had just won the euros that would read

But enough of such nonsense. Isn't it possible for the british to simply celebrate something, and accept that irish flags, scottish flags and welsh ones are all part of the british thing?

If that was a british isles team that had just won the euros that would read

But enough of such nonsense. Isn't it possible for the british to simply celebrate something, and accept that irish flags, scottish flags and welsh ones are all part of the british thing?
    I don't think anyone on either side of Britain or Ireland would suggest we're all part of the British thing. The Scottish, Welsh and English however will all be united in cheering for the British athletics team in Beijing, just as the Irish will be cheering on the Irish team.

yeah but it is still being ignorant of the situation to dismiss it as nonsense

If Michael Collins had been up against Franco we would. The Catalans are a lot more nationalist than the Irish - they even speak their own language.

Dunno how happy some of the Northern Irish would be to go on a lap of honour with a union jack if they won a medal in the olympics.

The Catalans are a lot more nationalist than the Irish - they even speak their own language.
    Good thing for Spain that Xavi and co. are apolitical! Also don't underestimate the popularity of Gaelige. More than 10 hours of it was spoken in Brussels last year after it gained official EU status. 1.57m people out of 4m of us speak it.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6212033.stm
    Interestingly, Catalan is only semi-official within the EU.
    The commission describes linguistic diversity as a "key theme" in the EU, noting that Catalan, Basque and Galician have been granted semi-official status.

If they become official the costs will probably be incurred by Spain, it says.
    bohsman wrote:
    Dunno how happy some of the Northern Irish would be to go on a lap of honour with a union jack if they won a medal in the olympics.
    The same as waving a NI flag if their footie team qualifies for the World Cup.

• Advertisement

kinaldo wrote: »
    Good thing for Spain that Xavi and co. are apolitical! Also don't underestimate the popularity of Gaelige. More than 10 hours of it was spoken in Brussels last year after it gained official EU status. 1.57m people out of 4m of us speak it.

1.5m Irish people speak Irish as their main language? A lot of Catalans dont speak Spanish. Its the complete opposite to Ireland.

1.5m Irish people speak Irish as their main language? A lot of Catalans dont speak Spanish. Its the complete opposite to Ireland.
    Naturally one language will be predominant. But I thought most Catalans were pretty much bilingual, and that it's much easier to speak both Spanish and Catalan as they're quite similar, what with them both being Romantic languages, whilst English and Irish are only very distantly related; and so given our history English was the one that really stuck with us.

Catalan is the main language in schools, most Catalans have good Spanish aswell but its not used very often, for tourists theyll do their best to understand foreigners Spanish but most will understand as little as possible if a Spanish person speaks.

Do you think Bojan will start playing for Spain now if Del Bosque picks him?

Do you think Bojan will start playing for Spain now if Del Bosque picks him?

yes of course.
    He would play under any manager

- he has been playing football for almost 3 years solid when you consider international under age tournaments and was too fatigued to play this time around.

Ive no idea what the whole story with Bojan was, Id say it was more that he actually was tired and felt there was no point in training for another month without getting very much time on the pitch than actual politics.

It should be very interesting when Del Bosque gets appointed. He had a great relationship with Raúl, and will be working with that other Real Madrid legend, Fernando Hierro.
    Phil Ball wrote:
    The only radical was Raúl, a Spanish nationalist born and bred with a quietly aggressive manner that could intimidate young players and also anyone not committed to the 'cause'. In this sense he merely succeeded Fernando Hierro, who never made any secret of his admiration for 'the good old days' of Spain.

yes of course.
    He would play under any manager

- he has been playing football for almost 3 years solid when you consider international under age tournaments and was too fatigued to play this time around.
    Yes but the cynic in me finds it hard to believe that a 17 year old would refuse a call up for a major championship because of fatigue. It's not like he was ever going to be playing much and I'm sure some of the other reserves were just as tired.

A minted 17 year old, spend another month training or enjoy a summer living it up?

• Advertisement

A minted 17 year old, spend another month training or enjoy a summer living it up?

ah thats even more cynical,
    he is 17 anything could be going through his head,

maybe he just needs a summer to get his head sorted over something.

Ronaldo went to the World Cup as a 17 year old in 94. He didn't kick a ball but I very much doubt he regrets it. Football is a short enough career. Of course had he refused the call up he probably would have never played for Brazil again.

How many hours of training do you think they do over 3 weeks? Sure it's almost like a holiday camp for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If Michael Collins had been up against Franco we would. The Catalans are a lot more nationalist than the Irish - they even speak their own language.

N. Irish people represent Ireland in the Olympics I thought.

Seeing as the British team is called "Great Britain" and not "The United Kingdom" Seeing as how N. Ireland isn't part of Great Britain...

Just what I've always thought anyway.

Ronaldo went to the World Cup as a 17 year old in 94. He didn't kick a ball but I very much doubt he regrets it. Football is a short enough career. Of course had he refused the call up he probably would have never played for Brazil again.

How many hours of training do you think they do over 3 weeks? Sure it's almost like a holiday camp for them.

No he didn't, he went to the world cup as a 17 year old and never kicked a ball.

Slight difference.

Seaneh wrote: »
    N. Irish people represent Ireland in the Olympics I thought.

Seeing as the British team is called "Great Britain" and not "The United Kingdom" Seeing as how N. Ireland isn't part of Great Britain...

Just what I've always thought anyway.

Could have sworn it was "Great Britain and Northern Ireland"

edit - Im right http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain_at_the_2004_Summer_Olympics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I agree with people who thought more would be made of it.

Thought all the players would wear a jersey with his name on the back of it. Similar to what Man Utd did for Jimmy Davis when they won the FA Cup in 2004

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    No he didn't, he went to the world cup as a 17 year old and never kicked a ball.
    Eh, that's exactly what I said.

Bollocks, reading two posts at once got me confuzzled, sorry Kiners.

Advertisement