Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All updates after Sp3 fail, Xp

• 29-06-2008 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Just done a clean install of Xp on a new pc i just built for the young fella and all updates after Service pack 3 fail. Legit copy of Xp mind you. Automatic updates are turned on and updates show up as being downloaded and ready to install, but it fails every time i try. They also show an icon on the shutdown icon and attempt to install when i shutdown, but on reboot its the same old story. Anyone any ideas,

Thnaks in advance

Pog

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

run services.msc

and make sure windows installer is running, and set to automatic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

^
    What he said, also, check it's running under the local system account. Same for this one, Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS). -> Automatic.

Assuming you are running this while logged on as administrator or an admin user.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Set both to automatic (they were on manual), rebooted, still no luck. They show up in updates every time but fail to install. Bit outa practice with Xp also having spent months on Vista. Only one user account so user is admin.

updatesau6.png
    updatesau6.ef3bfec43d.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

TBH I'm sick and tired of having microsoftupdate not work when you run it manually :mad:

don't forget to delete the temporary internet files too

what error message do you get if you run them manually ?

I'm not fond of automatic updates myself either, i usually have it set to notify only. I prefer to know what i'm installing and have it do it when i choose.

Its a pc for the young fella just to play steam games, I'm usin it as a kitchen pc as well (firm believer myself there should be a pc in each room, esp the toilet) I've half a mind to install Mint linux or Ubuntu and run them under wine as my heads wrecked by now. Avira antivir says it hasn't been updated when it has bout 20 times since i installed.

Gets as far as installing updates but fails and just goes to screen as posted above, v annoying.

Gotta say tho, this SP3 is very snappy, responds very quick, or maybe I'm just 2 long using Vista :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Been through that troubleshooter but its no help. I've done a disk cleanup and removed all downloaded temporary files etc, rebooted etc. Every time I try windows update it tells me that the updates are already downloaded and ready to install, but there's nothing there.

Anyone any ideas?

updates2qh8.png
    updates2qh8.784f162cad.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Have you opened up a support ticket with microsoft/started a thread in the microsoft support forums? The place is packed with Redmond Nerds :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

click start
    click run
    type cmd and hit enter
    type net stop bits
    type net stop wuauserv
    type rd /s /q c:\windows\softwaredistribution
    type del c:\windows\windowsupdate.log
    type REGSVR32 /s /u WUAPI.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s /u WUAUENG.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s /u WUAUENG1.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s /u ATL.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s /u WUCLTUI.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s /u WUPS.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s /u WUPS2.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s /u WUWEB.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s WUAPI.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s WUAUENG.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s WUAUENG1.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s ATL.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s WUCLTUI.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s WUPS.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s WUPS2.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s WUWEB.DLL

once you've done the above
    type net start wuauserv

try to do a windows update.

If it fails again open c:\windows\windowsupdate.log in notepad and paste the contents in here.

That sorted it, Thanks v much m8.

Now for some games :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Done and dusted

which solution worked for you?

In case someone else is in your position in the future?

which solution worked for you?

In case someone else is in your position in the future?

This one
    cance wrote: »
    click start
    click run
    type cmd and hit enter
    type net stop bits
    type net stop wuauserv
    type rd /s /q c:\windows\softwaredistribution
    type del c:\windows\windowsupdate.log
    type REGSVR32 /s /u WUAPI.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s /u WUAUENG.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s /u WUAUENG1.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s /u ATL.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s /u WUCLTUI.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s /u WUPS.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s /u WUPS2.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s /u WUWEB.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s WUAPI.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s WUAUENG.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s WUAUENG1.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s ATL.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s WUCLTUI.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s WUPS.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s WUPS2.DLL
    type REGSVR32 /s WUWEB.DLL

once you've done the above
    type net start wuauserv

try to do a windows update.

If it fails again open c:\windows\windowsupdate.log in notepad and paste the contents in here.

Thanks to all who posted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

For XPSP3 I'd bet that it was wups2.dll that needed the re-reg. I've sen a couple of instances of this: http://www.aa1intelligence.com/blog/?p=5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Done and dusted

PogMoThoin, was that a perminent fix? Did you need to do this each time windows tired to update?

Advertisement