Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are points expected to go up or down compared to 2007?

Options
  • 29-06-2008 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

Just like the title says...

Are points for courses expected to go up or down? In general, of course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Depends what course your talking about. Law will go up methinks. Med is going down which that new system. Science might go down or up but not by much. Arts will remain the same more or less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Overall points will remain the same or go down. Less people taking the leaving cert means less people competing for places.

UCD_Econ wrote: »
    Overall points will remain the same or go down. Less people taking the leaving cert means less people competing for places.

More and more people are taking the LC

57,000 students to sit Leaving Cert exams

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

Depends what course your talking about. Law will go up methinks. Med is going down which that new system. Science might go down or up but not by much. Arts will remain the same more or less

Just curious to know why you think Law will go up?

From my exp Law tends to go up rather down. Having said that I might be eating my own words when it comes to points day. But if law doesn't go up it would remain around the same mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,936 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

UCD_Econ wrote: »

They said that last year too and there was fewer than usual but there are LOADS of mature students these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

From what I've seen a lot of people have commerce down of osme sort so theres a good chance that will go up across the board, which is a shame for me because all 10 of my cao choices are commerce related.

Hmm, I was told that there are fewer CAO applicants than previous years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nerd3000

57000 doing the Leaving Cert Examination

but only 53000 doing Leaving Cert. established and 4000 doing Leaving Cert. Applied

in 2006 - 50,995 did the LC
    in 2007 - 50,870

when compared to the last 2 years this years 2008 LC seems huge

in 2004 - 55,224 did the LC
    in 2003 - 56,237
    in 2002 - 55,435

I wouldn't dare say more people are doing the LC in 1998 64,152 did the LC, that's only 10years ago!!

You can't really say that points for courses will go up or down. It's all based on results, which at the minute, do not exist! Put it this way get at least 15 points more than your course demands and you're grand!

Also, take the numbers applying for certain courses with a pinch of salt as well, i.e the CAO stats. Primary example, Law and Medicinal courses. In my school, literally every single person put down Med and/or Law on the CAO, purely because they are seen as "prestigious courses". The category of these lads would be miles away from achieving requisite points. Firstly,the majority don't do a Science subject and secondly the majority would be only doing 4 or 5 pass and French ( a requirement for University) is generally not present! If this happens in one school then I can assure you it happens in a lot of schools. So to say the because more applied for Law and because of this points will rise is farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

From my exp Law tends to go up rather down. Having said that I might be eating my own words when it comes to points day. But if law doesn't go up it would remain around the same mark.

I don't understand your logic, law goes up and down like other courses, eg law in UCD plummeted to 495 a couple of years ago.
    I have been told demand for straight law degrees (with no other mix) should fall this year because there has been a lot of press about there being too many lawyers in the country (see the last edition of the Sunday Times for example).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fivetwenty

External factors such as the Euro's may have distracted a few - resulting in lower points.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Read in the Times on Sunday that there were 4000 less applicants for nursing than usual this year so expect that to go down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 g'way

nerd3000 wrote: »
    57000 doing the Leaving Cert Examination

"but only 53000 doing Leaving Cert. established and 4000 doing Leaving Cert. Applied

in 2006 - 50,995 did the LC
    in 2007 - 50,870

when compared to the last 2 years this years 2008 LC seems huge

in 2004 - 55,224 did the LC
    in 2003 - 56,237
    in 2002 - 55,435

I wouldn't dare say more people are doing the LC in 1998 64,152 did the LC, that's only 10years ago!!

You can't really say that points for courses will go up or down. It's all based on results, which at the minute, do not exist!"

Are the points not determined on demand rather than results??

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

g'way wrote: »
    Are the points not determined on demand rather than results??

yup

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I thought it was a combination of both. Like, if 20 people apply for a 20 person course, but all of them have 600 points, then the points for that course are listed as 600? Maybe that's not how it works....

I thought it was a combination of both. Like, if 20 people apply for a 20 person course, but all of them have 600 points, then the points for that course are listed as 600? Maybe that's not how it works....
    The minimum points listed by the CAO is based on the points achieved by the last person to be offered the course. So in your example the points for that course would be 600.

E.G: History - 4 places

Person 1 = 500 points
    Person 2 = 480 points
    Person 3 = 470 points
    Person 4 = 460 points

In this case the minimum points requirement listed on the CAO would be 460.

Very well, it is what I thought so. So a course may appear to be in high demand, whereas it's only high points because the people who choose it tend to have high points.

Well usually courses that are 500+ points are in high demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Signature

It depends on the subject or college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ciaranajl

When is points day? I would've thought it'd be after the CAO change of mind day (yesterday) or is it after the results?

• Advertisement

After the results I imagine, since they need to know what points people got;
    UCD_Econ wrote:
    The minimum points listed by the CAO is based on the points achieved by the last person to be offered the course.

If you want to gain a better understanding on the points people have in different courses then go to www.cao.ie and under points look at the median points (med). This means half the people in the course got x amount and half got over it. Will give you an indication whether points will rise or not

nerd3000 wrote: »
    If you want to gain a better understanding on the points people have in different courses then go to www.cao.ie and under points look at the median points (med). This means half the people in the course got x amount and half got over it. Will give you an indication whether points will rise or not
    I just checked that and looked at the course commerce with chinese studies in UCC which was 405 last year, but when I went to 2007 I seen the final was 335 points.

What does that mean? that someone with 335 actually got into the course because that would be amazing

1huge1 wrote: »
    I just checked that and looked at the course commerce with chinese studies in UCC which was 405 last year, but when I went to 2007 I seen the final was 335 points.

What does that mean? that someone with 335 actually got into the course because that would be amazing
    Yes it means that the last person to be offered a place in that course had 335 points. It's the 'Final' column that counts.

Wow tahst sweet, so is that like 3rd round offers or something more than likely ya, well thats good news, gives me more of a chance

Well that was the final round offers. The number of rounds is actually indefinite but usually they're labelled as "Round 2". The 335 from that course was the final round offers.

Ya but you kinda have to put yourself in the situation that year...it would have been awful risky hoping to get in by the skin of your teeth..

Lets say you get 350 in 2007

The first round offers come out and you don't get offered Comm with Chinese in UCC coz points are 405

Comm Galway is 2nd choice - 340 points

you accept that because if you decline and Comm with Chinese doesn't come down then you're in **** creek without a paddle!

2nd round offers come out and Comm with Chinese in UCC has fallen to 335...

You can't change, you have to stick with Galway..

No. In that case a round two offer would be made because Comm with Chinese is higher on his CAO list. He could then either accept Comm with chinese or ignore the offer and stick with regular Comm.

I stand corrected, Thanks for clearing up that man. TBH, I just always presumed that the CAO wouldn't let you change courses, considering they are so meticulous about EVERYTHING!!!

• Advertisement

When round one comes out you should always accept the offer you're given. Don't click reject because of your expectations of round two. It won't cost you anything to accept a round two offer over round one :).

It'll just say on your CAO page that you have a new offer (presuming the points come down for a course higher on your CAO list) and it's your prerogative whether you want to stick with what you accepted in round one or accept the new offer.

Advertisement