Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Octavia Engine Management light and glow plug light

Options
  • 29-06-2008 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Just bought a 2000 1.9 Tdi Ambiente Estate

When i turn on the ignition i do not see an engine management light come on/off as i would expect from other cars ive had. Is this unusual?

Also ive noticed that the glow plug light comes on after driving for a while, then goes off again?

Car seems to be driving fine. Only comment id make is that when starting, after the engine kicks in there is a further noise for a few seconds and then it goes...

help appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Don't know much about current Octavias, but I would suspect that you have a bad earth issue in your electrics somewhere.

The glow plug light coming on while driving (and with the engine warmed up) certainly isn't normal and if this means that the actual glow plugs are coming on as well, it wouldn't do the engine much good either.

Get it plugged into a diagnostics system, see what it comes up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

I would take the dash clocks out and see if the bulbs have been removed. If so then put some back in and see do they stay lighting up when the engine is started. If so then it needs to be checked on a diagnostic (or a friend with VAG-COM) to see what the problem is.

Did you buy off a garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

have found out in the meantime that the glowplug light doubles up as the engine management light.

i bought privately..

also guy in skoda garage told me that the light can come on due to a faulty brake light switch but i dont think this is the problem,.,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

have found out in the meantime that the glowplug light doubles up as the engine management light.

Yep. You'll need to have it hooked up to a diagnosis tool to determine the fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

I had an Audi A4 1.9TDI the other day with 2 brake bulbs blown that had the glow plug light flashing while driving. Is quite common with VAG cars for engine management/glow/epc light to come on due to blown bulbs, is a good idea as many people would never know. Also the VAG cars do give brake light switch trouble. Is worth checking your brake lights as it will only take a second. If they are working you will need to get it checked with a diagnostic computer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

The engine management light (glow plugs light) can also come on when the engine has a tuner attached. Basically the tuner increases the turbo boost pressure and injects more fuel to the mix also. Previous owner could have installed a tuner to increase power (approx 20-30bhp). You should notice that the engine might run rough at low rpm's and when sitting in traffic. Also the exhaust can be smokey when accelerating. These tuners come in many different forms. Some re-map the CPU....a software upgrade. Others can be plugged into the turbo manifold under the bonnet and others can be plugged in under the dash. If the re-map or turbo is turned up too high, it leads to the problems listed above.....if not, there is no real damage or noticable effects except blistering speed and 20% higher fuel consumption. If you have a re-map, you'll not find the problem. If you have a plug in unit, you'll have to search for it....most commonly under the bonnet. Remember you'll have to remove the plastic engine cover before you'll see the tuner. It's only a small black box (approx matchbox size). Usually wires are cable tied for neatness. They retail on ebay....give me a shout if you can't find a pic and i'll send one to you so you can inspect your car.

Advertisement