Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sligo and the tommy murphy cup

Options
  • 29-06-2008 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

any one know the criteria surounding sligos entry into this, was surprised to hear them not being in the qualifiers for the all ireland, dispite them still being the reigning connought champions

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hey dude

Check out my thread regarding the info(Sligo overlooked by RTE). I only found out myself during the week. Sligo were relegated to Division 4 in the League and as a result are not allowed to enter the qualifiers. No Sam Maguire this year (or any other for that matter as pointed out by other posters) The mighty Tommy Murphy Cup beckons!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

DenMan wrote: »
    Hey dude

Check out my thread regarding the info(Sligo overlooked by RTE). I only found out myself during the week. Sligo were relegated to Division 4 in the League and as a result are not allowed to enter the qualifiers. No Sam Maguire this year (or any other for that matter as pointed out by other posters) The mighty Tommy Murphy Cup beckons!!!

cheers mate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I hope the players treat the competition with the respect it deserves , They can hardly act like we are too good to be in it as they all knew the criteria to avoid being in it before the National League started

They should be very much up for it I hope. Wicklow definitely will be. It would be nice for them to win the competition. A lot of the Sligo players can't go on forever (Eamon O'Hara and John McPartland), it would be good to see them win. Sligo to play the winners of the Kilkenny/London game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 itchy&scratchy

o hara doesnt want to play in this comp.read sligo champion. this is a nothing competition.
    like few years ago when they wer in it, senior players refused to be selected for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Not only that, the manager ot the time (Kerins if I remember) didn't want any part of it either. It's like a remedial competition. I wouldn't say Sligo deserve any better this year, but I wouldn't care about it either.
    The most galling thing is that this scenario, in it's first year, has already been scrapped for next year. Seems they thought about it and decided it was stupid. Strange thing is, they decided well before this year's championship started, so it would not have led to any difficulties with the fixtures etc. If it's not good enough for next year, why enforce it this year? Leitrim are in the same boat. I suppose the teams that have got the raw deal this year don't wield much influence at HQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 itchy&scratchy

ya, but i can see where the sligo players are coming from.... chonnacht champions last year..... now playing in a ______(fill in the blank) cup!!

ya, but i can see where the sligo players are coming from.... chonnacht champions last year..... now playing in a ______(fill in the blank) cup!!

How do mean "see where they are coming from". The performance was terrible, they deserve to be in the Tommy Murphy Cup. Results don't lie, they under-achieved and are exactly where they are supposed to be. End of story. If the bigger players can't take responsibility and admit they under-performed what kind of message is that sending to the younger panel coming through. I hope the other teams in the competition take it a lot more seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Tommy Murphy Cup = Losers' League :eek:

Well it's London next for Sligo, they whooped Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Essexboy wrote: »

Now, now, its the Special Winners League

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

The little bit of success they had last year went to their heads. It also went to some of their supporters heads as well.
    'Sligo for Sam' was said by many of them at last year's quarter final stages - not in jest but in all seriousness. Cork's humiliation of them put a stop to that.
    The level they're at at the moment, they're only fit for The Tommy Murphy Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Essexboy wrote: »

Thats utter rubbish IMO. What is the point in The division 4 teams going into the qualifiers and getting the quick exit. I take it you didnt see the final last year and the celebrations that followed it or Declan Brownes speech when he recieved the Tommy Murphy Cup the previous year. I think is a poor example the senior players not taking part in this competition and if I was the new Manager I would drop them from the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

bennyc wrote: »
    Thats utter rubbish IMO. What is the point in The division 4 teams going into the qualifiers and getting the quick exit. I take it you didnt see the final last year and the celebrations that followed it or Declan Brownes speech when he recieved the Tommy Murphy Cup the previous year. I think is a poor example the senior players not taking part in this competition and if I was the new Manager I would drop them from the panel.

I was of the opinion before that this was a pointless cup but I've come around.

Sligo knew at the beginning of the season that if they were relegated to the 4th Division and did not proceed in Connaught they would be in the Tommy Murphy cup.

Bottom line is this is their only remaining chance of winning anything this year. We've all seen great teams like Man Utd, Liverpool (not interested in debating this) doing everything they can to win the league cup in the England when no other silverware is achievable...

If they had winning mentality they wouldn't be in the Tommy Murphy cup... and now that they are here they would strive to win it..

As for Eamonn 'O Hara. He thinks he's too big for it, All star status has never done much to mellow his ego. He was rubbish against Mayo amd much of the league and IMHO is a liability to the team on a lot of occasions, e.g getting sent off for mouthing off.. He sets a poor example and should be dropped into retirement

Advertisement