Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spain 2008 vs the past and present (with new improved poll)

• 30-06-2008 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭

I'll try this again...

So, the best team won, but how does this fantastic young Spanish side compare to previous champions? Having beaten the 2004 champions and 2006 World Cup winners en route to glory, and making it 21 games unbeaten over two years, can they now be considered to be (currently) the best international team in the world?

Spain 2008 vs the past and present? 25 votes

USSR 1960
    0%
    Spain 1964
    8%
    Pepe LeFritstdv 2 votes
    Italy 1968
    4%
    Pepe LeFrits 1 vote
    Germany 1972
    8%
    Pepe LeFritsBubs101 2 votes
    Czechoslovakia 1976
    4%
    Pepe LeFrits 1 vote
    Germany 1980
    4%
    Pepe LeFrits 1 vote
    France 1984
    4%
    Pepe LeFrits 1 vote
    Holland 1988
    4%
    Pepe LeFrits 1 vote
    Germany 1996
    20%
    Pepe LeFritsMr.Nice GuyBubs101ShoulderChipstaker 5 votes
    France 2000
    4%
    Pepe LeFrits 1 vote
    Spain 2008
    8%
    Pepe LeFritsleninbenjamin 2 votes
    Spain are currently the best team in the world
    8%
    Pepe LeFritskinaldo 2 votes
    No they have to win the world cup to say that
    24%
    Pepe LeFrits_blank_kinaldosweetieKristopherusShoulderChip 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Had Michael Laudrup played in 1992 I would have included the Danes. The less said about Greece, the better. All the other teams have their merits imo. France 2000 was amazing and better than their 98 World Cup side, albeit very lucky in the final. Holland 88 are legendary, as are the French of 84, Germany 72 etc. But this Spanish side is incredible. To win the competition with 15 other teams, winning all their group games and not conceding a single goal in the knockout stages, whilst playing beautiful football along the way... not many can compare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Germany 1996
    Great team but I think Van Basten and co would have given that defence nightmares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Spain 2008
    personally i think this tournament would have been very different had France a decent manager. I can't really remember past the 90s seeing as i would have been but a toddler for the others at best, but in what i remember i'd say the France team that won Euro 2000, albeit more so on the merit of winning both comps in succession. But this current Spanish side have given the most consistent performance that i can recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    France 84, not close.
    Hard to argue, but it was only an 8 team tournament back then. And they had the huge home advantage factor with them. This current Spanish side would give them a hell of a game in midfield.

Advertisement