Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electro ish Sounds. Comments??

Options
  • 30-06-2008 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭

First visit to this part of the forum. Looking good, think ill spend a bit of time reading this stuff.

Here are some things I was working on a while back, wonder what people think of them. No one other than myself ever heard it. Be brutaly honesy with me, I wont take offence.

Listen Here
    Here
    and Here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

hey man.
    just got a listen.you might want t roll off some of the higher frequencies on that synth bass.also im not really sure what it is.is it a finished tune or just as far as youve got.
    you need to vary the drum pattern and also i think maybe introduce more elements.
    theres a few more things im sure others will point out but if you work on those basics itll sound better and then you can ask more about arrangement and builds and all that jazz.
    nice notes by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭DjDangerousDave

seannash wrote: »
    hey man.
    just got a listen.you might want t roll off some of the higher frequencies on that synth bass.also im not really sure what it is.is it a finished tune or just as far as youve got.
    you need to vary the drum pattern and also i think maybe introduce more elements.
    theres a few more things im sure others will point out but if you work on those basics itll sound better and then you can ask more about arrangement and builds and all that jazz.
    nice notes by the way

Thats just something funky I was playing about with. Far from finished. I have added two more tracks there. Have a listen and see what you think.

okay i dont really know what you want opinions on.are you using loops.
    there not actually full songs so i cant comment about arrangement.maybe finish them off and post them up(one at a time).

seannash wrote: »
    okay i dont really know what you want opinions on.are you using loops.
    there not actually full songs so i cant comment about arrangement.maybe finish them off and post them up(one at a time).

That might be a good plan alright.

With regards to comments, just any elements that you like the sound of and any aspects you think sound crap. I know they are technically poor, they are almost sound doodels for me, never finished, just ideas.

Maybe that helps. Maybe not.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I'll be honest and hopefully you appreciate the feedback.

Track 2
    Don't use Lives inbuilt drum kits. People will call you on them like I just have.
    Too much reverb
    Too much ping-pong (these all muddy the mix and remove impact, effects like these are best used subtly, or sparingly)
    The nasal synth doesnt work at all and should be dropped completely.
    Drum patterns need more variation and the overall arrangement needs more variation to keep it dynamic, dramatic and interesting.
    The choir and guitars etc sound interesting and have potential.

Track 1
    Much better than Track 2. Grabs your attention instantly with a catchy synth part (despite WAYY TOO MANY EFFECTS BRO)
    The track has potential. It would benefit from a breakdown, then bring in a more busy drum pattern (with a snare!) aswell as a bassline, for starters.

If you're just getting into the tunes thing, I would say that you seem to have an ear for it and I hope it goes well for you.

Don't be afraid to put some funkin' attitude into your stuff! Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Hi hat in track 2 is way too loud and the beat is repetitive, try using a few beats and maybe throw a fat synth hook line and sinker in there too, well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I'd disagree I think track 2 is much stronger than the first track. It sounds more consistent and gelled together. Its a good track, you should keep working on it :)

Track 1 actually sounds like "Muscle Cars" by Mylo to me. The synth in it is way too loud, taking up all room in the track and the effects are just adding to the clutter. Try lowpassing it in the synth, maybe play with the envelopes on the filter to keep some of the character. The kick is also far too quiet, it needs to be the loudest part of the track or at least recognizable over everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The overall sound is a bit thin and "cheap" esp the reverb used on the drum loop. The mix of no 2 is better than no 3 to my ears - fuller. That said unless the intention is to sound a bit sparse, it needs filling out.

Mike.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I made these in Ableton Live, as someone was able to tell from the crappy drums I used.

The 2nd and 3rd tracks are atcually remixes of Snow Patrol - Shut Your Eyes

I chopped the guitar rif into four parts (each chord) and then looped each four times to build my giuitar rif.

Track 2
    Don't use Lives inbuilt drum kits. People will call you on them like I just have.
    Sugestions on some good VST's for drums?

Too much reverb
    Ok!

Too much ping-pong (these all muddy the mix and remove impact, effects like these are best used subtly, or sparingly)
    Ok!

The nasal synth doesnt work at all and should be dropped completely.
    I think its crap too. Glad you said that.

Drum patterns need more variation and the overall arrangement needs more variation to keep it dynamic, dramatic and interesting.
    I always have priblems with this. Although on some of my more recent stuff I'm getting the hang of this a bit.

The choir and guitars etc sound interesting and have potential.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

For drums just get a decent sampler. Battery, BFD or any of them. Then just trawl the internet for drum samples and build your own library. Sample cd's are usually quite good. Hip hop ones generally have really nice and gritty snares/kicks/hats so I'd keep an eye out for those.

Anima wrote: »
    For drums just get a decent sampler. Battery, BFD or any of them. Then just trawl the internet for drum samples and build your own library. Sample cd's are usually quite good. Hip hop ones generally have really nice and gritty snares/kicks/hats so I'd keep an eye out for those.

I played with Battery before, does BFD have any adventages?

basic house beat tutorial.very good
    http://jonmilsom.co.uk/tutorials/tutorial_jonmilsom_housebeat.mp3

you said you were having problems with your drums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Cardinal Ableton rule : The only only time you should be using the built-in Ableton effects is if you are performing live or experimenting on a certain track. I can just about accept sidechain compression on a studio track, but nothing else. There's plenty of freeware out there that far exceeds their capacity - CPU usage is not an excuse, freeze your tracks.

In terms of cheap VST and VSTi's I'd highly recommend both

www.d16.pl (Drumazon, Nepheton, Devastator and Phosycon)
    www.audiodamage.com (Too many to name. Very affordable)

Advertisement