Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who are your victims of Celtic Syndrome?

Options
  • 30-06-2008 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭

By Celtic Syndrome i mean when, your a reasonably small team and you make a good singing or develop a player and then the big teams swoop in for your key men. Mostly if you reject they kick up a fuss a demand to leave or go "Unh".

I started with Newcaslte, year 1 i signed Van Der Vaart, Arshavin, Kompany and Makoun.

Im in my 3rd season now, after placing 5th and 3rd and winning 2 league cups and an FA cup, my victims are:

Rafael Van Der Vaart - Barcelona
    Andrei Arshavin - Barcelona
    Vincent Kompany - Barcelona
    Steven Taylor - AC Milan
    Obafemi Martins - AC Milan
    Jean Makoun - Real Madrid

Thats a bit rediculous, ive tried to hang on to Martins and VDV in particular but nope. Its really frustrating because even though im currently in the Champions League last 16 i am seen as a small club and my guys "think its time to move on".

Thankfully Michael Owen stayed and bangs in 40 a season although ive rejected 2 offers from Arsenal. What i am doing is bringing in a cut-price clone of the guys i sell, eg:

Kompany out, Arturo Vidal in.
    Van Der Vaart and Arshavin out, D'allesandro and Aimar in.
    Martins out, Hunterlaar in.

What about you? Ever had a key man poached by a big team?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

playing as Derby, Renato Augusto and Giles Barnes. the whole small team big team ranking in FM is nuts. i was in the top 4 of the league in my second season and players were wanting to speak to newcastle who were just above relegation (and seemed to want to buy my entire starting eleven). in the end i got near 30 million for Augusto (100% profit) who went to Barca and 15 plus 50% sell on cluase for Barnes who went to Bayern Munich. still it was madness seeing them want to talk to teams in the relegation zone as they were bigger than Derby in the Eufa cup...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Dave Mooney of Cork. I tweaked all the Irish teams in the Editor, but it was very realistic.

Anyway, Mooney grabbed 12 goals in my first season, but then Wilhem 11(the dutch team can't remember theactually name) came in with an absolutely shocking 20k bid.....LOL......I rejected, but then Mooney through a little hissy fit.

Manged to get 450k for him in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Playing with Shelbourne
    signed Ronnie O'Brien, Jason Koumas, Richie Foran, and a young French U21 player called Bedi Buval over a 2 year period
    O'Brien was approached by Wigan, was ''unh'' after I rejected a derogatory 500k bid, so I ended up selling to Villa for 550k :mad:
    Koumas next, he went to a promoted Cardiff City, but he was always a moany git anyway
    Foran went to Celtic at the end of the season, and Buval was bought by Sunderland. Which left my team absolutely toothless. I'm at a loss as to who I should buy to replace these guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

How the hell did you get Koumas to join Shelbourne? That doesn't sound right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Instead of rejecting a bid for one of your players from a bigger team negoiate it instead. Most of the time your player won't become unhappy and the bidding team won't bother rebidding for him if you negoiate for £50M or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

DSB wrote: »
    How the hell did you get Koumas to join Shelbourne? That doesn't sound right?
    Edited Shels' Prestige (I think that's what it's called) to 150 (to be fair I put every other Irish club's Prestige up by the same amount)
    And used the money from winning the Setanta Cup and getting to the UEFA cup group stages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Edited Shels' Prestige (I think that's what it's called) to 150 (to be fair I put every other Irish club's Prestige up by the same amount)
    And used the money from winning the Setanta Cup and getting to the UEFA cup group stages.

Ah right. Knew it couldn't happen normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Im MVV and despite winning the Uefa Cup last season a lot of my stars and hot prospects get poached by 'bigger' teams like Hannover, HSV, PSG etc. problem is when signing players I usually have to give them a minimum release clause of about 5milion or so (when selling I usually manage to add on a hefty sell on clause - cheeky) and the wage budget is comparatively low. Plus our training facilities are not top class yet. And our stadium is only 10k...
    Hmm... maybe we are punching above our weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cardiff_mad

YES van der vaart is a miserable git :mad:
    Tottenham first season won Premier League, UEFA Cup and League Cup then Barcelona tried to sign him for 8million :pac: i showed them the door and he kicked up a fuss about me not letting him join a bigger club!
    Eventually had a bidding war with Real Madrid, Man Utd, Valencia, Villareal, Chelsea and Barcelona who eventually won with a bid of 25 million :P

Advertisement