Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Team exploits

Options
  • 30-06-2008 2:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭

so inspired by Euro 2008 I've decided to start a new game to rewrite the tourney with Irish involvement. and it just got me thinking, any time i've managed national teams previously it's always been mental hard. I can qualify at a walk, but suddenly when i get into the tournament the type of team i'd steam roll in the qualifiers i'd have serious difficulty with.

my best performance was bringing a French side to the semis of the 2010 world cup. Benzema star of the team averaged a goal a game. I also got Portugal to the quarters in the Euro 2012. oh and i lost only 3 international games in that period.

what really irritates me is the scouting system for it. even with good scouts everyone's a fricken decent player, i find it really annoying trying to guage who to bring...

any other performances/bugs/experiences/rants on FM international management you care to share?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Nah I won the African cup of nations with Nigeria and got to the Quarters with them in the World Cup but got knocked out by Italy on Pens. So I have probably overachieved internationally. Considering at the time the 3 clubs I managed got relegated :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i did an extreme over achievement at international level, i won 2010 WC and 2012 EC with Ireland! yes, Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Winning two in a row is amazing, perhaps one of the best achievments but Ireland are pretty good in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I've been fairly successful at International level
    Got Ireland to Euro 2008 quarter finals (we lost 2-1 against eventual winners Portugal)
    Qualified for WC 2010 with Ireland but knocked out in group stage
    and then won Euro 2012 with England!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

ok, i found the weirdest bug I think I've come across in the game. i'm just after qualifying for EURO2008, it's now Jan 2008 in game. All of a sudden, completely out of the blue Finnan, retires. And no matter how much i try i can' get him to change his mind. this game is too ****ing wierd at times.

edit: bah. quarter final. beaten by England in penalties. Robbie Keane missed two penalties :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Winning two in a row is amazing, perhaps one of the best achievments but Ireland are pretty good in the game.

Yeah they are better then expected, i was still astonished tbh! i reckon i honestly would have had a great shot at the 2014 WC too, i was just kinda bored with Ireland so took a go with Portugal next, and won it with them. Ronaldo is an absolute beast for Portugal when he is 29!

i dunno, i have always had success with the games, regardless.

my favourite achievment besides that would be winning the league and champions league and fa cup with united 6 years in a row.

and taking a struggling team from seria B called crotone to the Champions league final in 6 years

sorry i went wayyy off topic here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Won the Euro's with Ireland and got them to number 1 in the world rankings!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

In FM2007 I won the Word Cup with the Czech republic (beating Ireland in the quarter final ooohhh!!!!)
    I retired and took on the Irish hot seat. We qualified for the Euros but lost our first two group matches to Greece (hosts) and some other mediocre team. Then we thumped the already qualified Holland 7-0! :eek: Stephen Ireland was named in the team of the tournament. I got sacked.

Swings and roundabouts huh?

kryogen wrote: »
    Yeah they are better then expected, i was still astonished tbh! i reckon i honestly would have had a great shot at the 2014 WC too, i was just kinda bored with Ireland so took a go with Portugal next, and won it with them. Ronaldo is an absolute beast for Portugal when he is 29!

i dunno, i have always had success with the games, regardless.

my favourite achievment besides that would be winning the league and champions league and fa cup with united 6 years in a row.

and taking a struggling team from seria B called crotone to the Champions league final in 6 years

sorry i went wayyy off topic here

:), I didn't want to look back in this thread incase you took it the wrong way. I was basically just making the point that there is a good nucleus of a squad there but still nothing to suggest an International double.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

After doing really well managing Celtic I got the Argentina Job and won the 2009 (I think) Copa America and then immediatley resigned. I hadnt planned on International management when i took that job nor was I when offered the Brazillian job only a couple of Months later. Won the 2010 WC then with Brazil and left Celtic and became the Liverpool Manager. 2011 I was in the Copa America again and noticed a major glitch (have seen it a few times) England were in the competition for some reason... but I beat them in the final. after once again having International success mixed with the club success i had, had with Liverpool I resigned from international management again.

It wasnt long though till i got offered another International managers position though, this time as manager of my own nation Ireland (although in the game im part Brazillian) after the FAI finally got sick of Stan. I Brought them to the quaters in Euro 2012 where i got hammered 4-0 by France (who id qualified ahead of) of course the fact that my goalie (given) was Injured as was the backup (Doyle) while the third choice who played in the 2nd round game was suspended after getting sent off in my 3-1 victory over portugal (Doyle saved a Peno!).

• Advertisement

After doing really well managing Celtic I got the Argentina Job and won the 2009 (I think) Copa America and then immediatley resigned. I hadnt planned on International management when i took that job nor was I when offered the Brazillian job only a couple of Months later. Won the 2010 WC then with Brazil and left Celtic and became the Liverpool Manager. 2011 I was in the Copa America again and noticed a major glitch (have seen it a few times) England were in the competition for some reason... but I beat them in the final. after once again having International success mixed with the club success i had, had with Liverpool I resigned from international management again.

It wasnt long though till i got offered another International managers position though, this time as manager of my own nation Ireland (although in the game im part Brazillian) after the FAI finally got sick of Stan. I Brought them to the quaters in Euro 2012 where i got hammered 4-0 by France (who id qualified ahead of) of course the fact that my goalie (given) was Injured as was the backup (Doyle) while the third choice who played in the 2nd round game was suspended after getting sent off in my 3-1 victory over portugal (Doyle saved a Peno!).

:D, common mistake. The Copa America invites two nations to every comptition...which is why Mexico and the US were in it in 2007.

Its a bit unrealistic, but there is nothing to suggest it couldn't happpen.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The Dutch Football association keep turning me down in favour of managers whose teams finish behind me in the Dutch league. :(
    Racists

How do I get Germany and Holland playable in m 2007? I dowloaded an updted transfers patch and deleted the fake file

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭horseydevine

have taken over montenegro.. my whole national pool is under 23....
    also took nigeria to African Nation sucess and semis of world cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

How do I get Germany and Holland playable in m 2007? I dowloaded an updted transfers patch and deleted the fake file

can only do that when you start a new game iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭horseydevine

after working with nigeria for 3 years..( only had 3 over 30's in my squad) was offered ivory coast, took it, only had two keepers in my pool, lost both to injury. my centre forward played 3 games in goals. only conceded 5 goals but won all my games. was then offered south africa after reaching semi's of w.c... i want to get ireland tho and mix it up!!!

Advertisement