Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drinkng in public, law?

• 30-06-2008 2:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Quoted from citizensinformation.ie

Drinking in public

Under the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994, it is an offence for you to be so drunk in a public place that you could reasonably be presumed to be a danger to yourself or to anyone around you. If found guilty of this offence, you could be fined 127 euro and a member of the Garda Siochana can confiscate any alcohol you may be carrying.

It is illegal for a licence holder to sell alcohol in a closed container (i.e., can or bottle) for consumption off the premises in a place 100 metres from the premises. If you purchase alcohol in this way, you can be fined 300 euro by the Gardai.

While there is no national legislation prohibiting drinking in public, each local authority area is entitled to pass bye-laws prohibiting the consumption of alcohol in a public place. Contact your local authority to find out about these bye-laws in your area.

The red bit is the interesting bit, I'm assuming that all local authorities have made it illegal to drink in public places? According to the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994, it seems to be legal to drink in public, so long as you are not disgracefully drunk. Where can I get info about these so-called bye laws that apply to each local authority? Is it online anywhere? I live in offaly, and I found a few websites giving the bye-laws which apply to Dun Laoighre, Fingal, Dublin and Cork, but nothing else, Would my local garda station tell me or would I have to go to my 'council office' any help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Phone them. Nothing showing up for Offaly though, although that doesn't mean there is nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

Victor wrote: »
    Phone them. Nothing showing up for Offaly though, although that doesn't mean there is nothing.

LOL, If none exists, does this mean that it would be against the law for a gaurd to take alcohol off you? It would be really nice to know if this is the case!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

sd123 wrote: »
    LOL, If none exists, does this mean that it would be against the law for a gaurd to take alcohol off you? It would be really nice to know if this is the case!!:D
    there are many more acts dealing with alcohol and behaviour in public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭jaffa20

It's totally ridiculous. Although it seems mad that people would want to drink in public it happens in nearly every other european country i've been to. I have been to France many times and it's a leisure there. I was quite shocked at first but when i made french friends, i joined in. Plus when my french friends came over here, we did it but it was a fairly quiet area. I don't see any harm if people drink responsibly. With the prices charged in pubs, i would welcome it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

Victor wrote: »
    there are many more acts dealing with alcohol and behaviour in public.

Damn, I knew there was a catch!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement