Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying your own Equipment

• 30-06-2008 2:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭

Essentially what's written above.

Do many of you find that you've gone to the trouble of purchasing equipment yourselves or have you had a mainly positive experience with the application and procurement of equipment?

Sure I know 99% of us will have negative experiences this way but I'm sure it must be ideal for members who are attached to Santry station when stores is only around the back.

I've surely spent near 200 euros in purchasing equipment online and sometimes from other members. Silly..but is this the case in Ni and the UK as well?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

AGS doesnt supply the best equipment as standard its as simple as that.

I have bought gloves, torches and cuffs despite being supplied with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Boots have been the most common thing i've hear people buying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭kwalsh000

Sure rubber gloves had to buy myself just because there are never any around (and they are one of the most essential things for everyday use), cuffs as my last pair were taken by another mule, pouches because the other ones rip too easily, torches etc.

The standard of equipment is shabby to say the least. I can't remember who posted it but mentioned other police forces use a point system and you can spend that on upgrading/getting extra gear from stores. Sounds like a good plan tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

Do many of you find that you've gone to the trouble of purchasing equipment yourselves or have you had a mainly positive experience with the application and procurement of equipment? I've surely spent near 200 euros in purchasing equipment online and sometimes from other members. Silly..but is this the case in Ni and the UK as well?

I've forked out for boots, a Surefire torch (as the issued one is crap) and a decent duty belt for public order duty. I also swapped my CS holder for one that the BTP uses, which is a lot better. I also acquired a fire key, which in my view should be standard issue when working in an urban environment, but naturally isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bryanmurr

I'm sure it must be ideal for members who are attached to Santry station when stores is only around the back.

dont be so sure mate, one of the more senior lads got his shirt covered in blood when a fella went thru a glass panel in the hospital, he went around to stores for a replacement so he could finish the shift and they wanted the application on paper! Some of the lads workin there are tight, you'd swear you asked em for a kidney or somethin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

metman wrote: »
    I also acquired a fire key, which in my view should be standard issue when working in an urban environment, but naturally isn't.

excuse my ignorance.... but what is a fire key ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

pa990 wrote: »
    excuse my ignorance.... but what is a fire key ?
    I'm assuming it's for recalling lifts in the event of a building fire. Little allen key type device. Of course, I could be way off but this is the only thing which makes sense to me!

I believe it also gives the person in the lift control over it (i.e. if someone on floor 6 presses a button to the call the lift they are ignored) which allows them to get to the scene quicker.

Again though .. could be way off but I think that's what he means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

bryanmurr wrote: »
    dont be so sure mate, one of the more senior lads got his shirt covered in blood when a fella went thru a glass panel in the hospital, he went around to stores for a replacement so he could finish the shift and they wanted the application on paper! Some of the lads workin there are tight, you'd swear you asked em for a kidney or somethin!

I offered to buy a few tie pins purely so I have something to give out when tourists come in from other parts, from the US typically.

the guy wouldnt sell them to me without having permission on paper even though your allowed buy them because they werent for personal use! :confused:

Advertisement