Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to read next?

Options
  • 30-06-2008 3:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey guys I just finished the full Civil War collection. I had being doing the Leaving Cert and I had to take time out from geeking it up to "study".

So what is everyone reading now?? Just finished; The Illuminati, The whole Civil War collectors line-(and they all line up to say Civil WAR!! on my shelf) Prior to that I had read The House of M hardback and a few tie-ins. Just read X-Factor book 1-3. Lovin' Mardrox at the moment!! And I have finnaly gotten around to reading the Runaways! I <3 The Runaways :)

So any suggestions as to what to read next? I heard WWH was pretty good and his apperance in the Avengers Initiative was nicely done! (His diction has come along way XD)

So what are you guys reading/just finished? Any Suggestions on what to waste my cash on next :P

Look forward to hearing from your Suggestions!!

PS : Only Marvel Titles please, not a HUGE fan of DC but JLA Is pretty sweet....

Anyways

CYA

-iTerrorist

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Just to give you a heads up the mods will prob ask that you check this section of the forum charter

""What comic should I read next?"/Recommendations requests : If you are looking for new reading material, you should either look at the "What comic are you reading?" thread or the "Ultimate Comic Bookshelf" thread. If, after rooting through both threads, you're still looking for suggestions, then post up a new thread including at least 5 titles that you have read and which will give a good indication of your tastes."

the "What comic are you reading at the moment?" thread is prob the best to check out as it has comments on both trades/graphic novels and ongoing titles that people are currently reading - head to the last few pages as its been going a pretty long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 iTerrorist

Apologies, I was just up at around 4 am and was very tired. Didn't realize I should have read the other thread...Sorry for the post :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hi there iTerrorist, welcome to the forum. As ztoical pointed out, usually your best bet if you're looking for recommended reading are the Ultimate Bookshelf or the What Are You Reading threads.

That being said, I'm happy to leave this open as you've been pretty specific about your recent reading. I'm not familiar enough with Marvel's offerings at the moment across the board, but I would say check out Matt Fraction's Invincible Iron Man, it's not too bogged down with internal continuity yet and seems a lot more lively and fun than the main Iron Man title has seemed for a while (although I stopped reading after Ellis left as writer, so I could be wrong on that count).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

WORLD WAR HULK
    wwh-4.jpg

Best thing since life was invented

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dr_tran

From what you've read I would recommend reading New Avengers from issue one. It starts off a little while after House of M and goes all the way through to Civil War and further into the current big event, Secret Invasion. New Avengers is like *The* Marvel Universe book so if you read it you will have a good base knowledge of the world and the characters if you feel like branching out a bit more afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

And if your liking X-Factor. It'd be worth while to get the Maddrox Mini series.
    Sets up the X-factor book.

And if your Gona Do world war hulk which is Smashy Fun. Be worth the while looking at Planet Hulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Yea planet hulk first i done it the other way around but it wasnt to big a deal world war hulk kinda tells you what happend prior anyway, Marvel zombies is good if you got money to blow on something not to serious.

Also spiderman - Back in black is kick arse takes up after the civil war.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I think its fair enough to have a thread like this. The What are you reading thread seems to focus mainly on independant comics, which is fair enough, I like some indys too but it seems to be a bit non-inclusive to fans of mainstream comics imo.

First thing you should nail on your want list is

Annihilation - I got the three hardbacks for this and while the stories can be a bit patchy because of the different creative teams ultimately its a great story and with a cast list like Silver Surfer, Nova, Firelord, Ronan the Accuser, Super-skrull you can't go wrong. Plus since Secret Invasion majorly involves the Skrulls this fills in quite a lot of backround.

Major Arcana - Focuses on the magical side of the Marvel Universe like Doctor Strange, the Black Knight, Magik and others. Includes the Marvel Tarot and a guidebook to the magical side of the Marvel universe. its a gorgeous hardback that you can dip into frequently.

Immortal Iron Fist - by Matt Fraction, Ed Brubaker and David Aja, a great reintroduction for the Iron Fist. He's a major part of the New Avengers plus this has a good story and great art.

X-men - Fall and Rise of the Shiar Empire - The X-men voyage accross the universe after Vulcan, the third Summers Brother. Again written by Ed Brubaker, art by Billy tan and others.

Captain America Omnibus - Kind of expensive but has the first 25 issues of the new volume of Captain America, the best current marvel comic imo. You should be able to get this for a decent price on amazon.co.uk.

Next for me will be Planet Hulk and World War Hulk, looking forward to it :D

Also can't wait for the Longshot omnibus, classic 80's xmen :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I think its fair enough to have a thread like this. The What are you reading thread seems to focus mainly on independant comics, which is fair enough, I like some indys too but it seems to be a bit non-inclusive to fans of mainstream comics imo.

I don't want to derail this thread, but I just want to point out - there's no restriction on who or what you can post about in the "What Are You Reading?" thread. The general indie orientation is to a certain extent down to the tastes of the posters (probably myself included) who post more regularly in that thread. I'd like to encourage fans of more mainstream material to post regularly in the thread.

On the note of what Marvel stuff to read, you should also check out the Irredeemable Ant-Man. Robert Kirkman writes a jerk with a superhero suit. Hijinks ensue! And they're some of the most entertaining comics I've read in ages. Also, buy both TPBS of Nextwave if you haven't already. Nextwave is Love.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

First thing you should nail on your want list is

Annihilation - I got the three hardbacks for this and while the stories can be a bit patchy because of the different creative teams ultimately its a great story and with a cast list like Silver Surfer, Nova, Firelord, Ronan the Accuser, Super-skrull you can't go wrong. Plus since Secret Invasion majorly involves the Skrulls this fills in quite a lot of backround.

Immortal Iron Fist - by Matt Fraction, Ed Brubaker and David Aja, a great reintroduction for the Iron Fist. He's a major part of the New Avengers plus this has a good story and great art.

X-men - Fall and Rise of the Shiar Empire - The X-men voyage accross the universe after Vulcan, the third Summers Brother. Again written by Ed Brubaker, art by Billy tan and others.

Captain America Omnibus - Kind of expensive but has the first 25 issues of the new volume of Captain America, the best current marvel comic imo. You should be able to get this for a decent price on amazon.co.uk.

Next for me will be Planet Hulk and World War Hulk, looking forward to it :D

Scarily similar tastes. Daredevil as well is awesome, from when Bendis takes over and leaves it with Murdock totally up the creek, to Brubaker taking the reins and really dragging him down to a level of unhappiness previously reserved for the damned in hell.

I liked Planet Hulk, but World War Hulk didn't have as much oomph to it. I'd recommend the Incredible Herc though, it's utterly great, and makes me like Hercules as a character, when I read him back in the early 80's I wanted him to die in a fire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 eoghand

Captain America - Brubaker, just started reading last week, it is excellent.

Always loved Peter David on X-factor.

Hoping to start planet hulk , world war .... next week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

eoghand wrote: »
    Captain America - Brubaker, just started reading last week, it is excellent.

Always loved Peter David on X-factor.

Hoping to start planet hulk , world war .... next week. :)

Totally agree on Brubaker.

Um...I chucked out all my x-factors recently...after re-reading them they weren't that good.... but Peter David's fairly recent Captain Marvel series was great.

Just got planet hulk this week. I was never a big fan of the Hulk but this story is really very good indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

well if you liked the civil war/ illuminati books you could do worse than pick up new avengers (no 6 revolution,and no 7 trust,) and mighty avengers (1 and 2, venom bomb is just out now.) trades. as it pretty much follows the survivors after the events and they tie in to the next biggie which is secret invasion. even the spin off avengers the initiative book by dan slot is kinda fun. i certainly enjoyed it more than i thought i would

i too have been somewhat following ed burbaker in xmen. the rise and fall of the shiar empire is ok though i prefered deadly genesis and while i gave the next book extremists a miss ive just ordered xmen messiah complex which looks ok and leads into the redux of the books.

i havent read planet hulk or WWH but ive been sorely tempted and the annihilation books are really good if ya like cosmic warfare

TBH if you want to branch out you could do worse than newuinversal by warren ellis. its a cracking little read and looks great. its basically a reboot of the old new universe characters marvel messed about with in the 80s. similarly supreme power/squadron supreme by JMS is a great read which is inexplicably on hiatus for some reason. there was a good crossover with the ultimate line last year called ultimate power that you can get now.

hope some of this helps. :)

Advertisement