Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M for Mystery ?

Options
  • 30-06-2008 7:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

Guys

I used to spot in the 70's-80's but the world has changed a lot since then with lots of nations appearing ( put it this way I used to watch IL62's with cccp reg's )

Yesterday at Weston I saw a C172 M-GOLF , ok , where is M- ??

This goes with a few weeks ago I saw what I thought was a S76 ( I am hopeless at Helicopter types because I never liked them :-) ) with the regn M-ERIT now I thought I was seeing things because M- was never used before

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

M is the designator for the Isle of Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Really !

That went through my head but I dismissed it , but also thought they may use G-.

Manx Airlines used to use G-

Is this new ?

Whats next Jersey using a different prefix ?

Wow , thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The M- prefix is only in operation a few months

Some interesting registrations like

M-OORE
    M-AYBE

etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

M used to be the old prefix for Mexico. Quite agree with the question why do the Isle of Mann deserve a prefix and Jersey don't. Maybe Jersey just have'nt applied for one. Also there are a lot of very wealthy individuals that now have there homes in the Isle of Mann and there are a lot of private aircraft and biz jets based there. Just a thought.

eh ???

Mexico always used to be XA/XB etc even when I was spotting...... I never saw any Mexican aircraft until I went to Madrid spotting back in 84 ( I think ) and saw some Mexicana DC8s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Davidth88 wrote: »
    eh ???

Mexico always used to be XA/XB etc even when I was spotting...... I never saw any Mexican aircraft until I went to Madrid spotting back in 84 ( I think ) and saw some Mexicana DC8s

Don't panic David, you most certainly are not going to be old enough to remember the M prefix as they stopped using it in 1929. They then changed to XA for commercial, XB for private and XC for Government.

Thank god , I thought I was going mad .......

How many aircraft in Mexico on 1929 I wonder !

Advertisement