Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bag for commuting

Options
  • 30-06-2008 9:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

I've got a standard jansport backpack atm but looking for something with a lot more room as the Jansport is at maximum capacity. I spotted one up in the the Cycle Superstore about a week ago. It was a triathalon backpack but it had tonnes of space. Price was €150. If I could not spend that much I'd be happy but if there's nothing else out there then I'd probably go for this one. I can't remember the name of it though.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

what do you bring with you on your commute? Is there anyway you can cut down? For example, I leave shoes, jeans and towel in work all week, and change as needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Have you ever tried paniers?

I find them soooo easy to cycle with - you don't even notice they're there. And you sweat a lot less, which is great for commuting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I bring jeans, t-shirt, socks, boxers, towel, puncture repair kit + pump, lunch, shower gel + deoderant. I leave shoes in work.

No not tried paniers. Will look into them.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I bring jeans, t-shirt, socks, boxers, towel, puncture repair kit + pump, lunch, shower gel + deoderant. I leave shoes in work.

Is it possible for you to leave the towel in work? They can take up a huge amount of space, unless it's one of those Liventure ones. Also, they dry better over night. The less you have to carry with you on the bike, the better. Jeans are also quite bulky, if you can leave a couple in work that would help.
    For what it's worth, I use Deuter bags with an Airstrip at the back. The airstrip helps to greatly reduce sweating. I have a few and I tend to use the smallest one, when bringing in jeans or towel. The bigger one for when I'm changing the whole lot. During the week I just use a camelbak into which I can squeeze t-shirt, jocks, socks, bits'n'bobs.

There really is nowhere for me to leave a towel/jeans unfortunately. :( Thinking about it I could leave my toiletries in here so that would free up a bit of space. I could probably do with an airtsrip on my current bag but I shower when I get into work and then when I arrive home in the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

If you're willing to go up to 150, I'd heartily reccommend Bagaboo -got one of thier bags a couple years ago and wouldn't use anything else now. I went for a standard messenger bag in size large, and it's cavernous (I've fit turbo trainers, and most importantly two crates of beer in it before). Also, they're custom made so you can get any style/colour/design you like

Small Deuter
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18428

Medium Deuter
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18435

I also have a large Deuter, but that's neither here nor there :) I like Deuter, I do.

Anyway, the small one can be extended so that it fits a bit more in. You can just make out the zip at the edge of the bag. I currently have a large beach towel and pair of jeans jammed in there. You could get a t-shirt, jocks, socks in there at a squash. It comes with a rain cover. I think most Deuter do. One thing to note: the small zipped utility pockets are exactly that...small. They could do with being bigger, but that is a minor gripe.

The second bag, will take the same plus shoes. The zipped utility pockets are a good size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jwwie

i havent seen them around here, but i would recommend chrome. i dont have one, but im going to get one soon. its the most comfortable bag ever, especially compared to the timbuku i have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

jwwie wrote: »
    i havent seen them around here, but i would recommend chrome. i dont have one, but im going to get one soon. its the most comfortable bag ever, especially compared to the timbuku i have now.

+1 for chrome too. I use the Chrome Citizen
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3247

Cannot fault this bag at all.! Maybe a tad pricey but worth it IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

+1 for chrome too. I use the Chrome Citizen
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3247

Cannot fault this bag at all.! Maybe a tad pricey but worth it IMO!

me three. but i actually wouldn't really recommend it simply because i suspect that bagaboo have taken the same design concept and taken a few little steps forward: compression straps, lock holder etc. and customisability. [Edit]one peev i have with the chrome is the buckle on the front - good idea and it gets compliments from nobs, but sweet jebus is it heavy. the whole bag is a bit of a lump even while empty. the chrome uses plastic clips which might be better for the weight weenie in us all.[/Edit]

the chrome is a great bag. totally waterproof and indestructible, but i think the bagaboo might be even better. very expensive though, but if it's anything like as hard wearing as the chrome bags it'll last till the end of time.

Kinetic- first decision is between a backpack or a courier bag. i find the courier bag easier to breathe under as i can wear it fairly low on my back f i have to work hard. sweaty though :o. plus i can at the contents without taking it off, which is handy when out shopping etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

niceonetom wrote: »
    me three. but i actually wouldn't really recommend it simply because i suspect that bagaboo have taken the same design concept and taken a few little steps forward: compression straps, lock holder etc. and customisability.

the chrome is a great bag. totally waterproof and indestructible, but i think the bagaboo might be even better. very expensive though, but if it's anything like as hard wearing as the chrome bags it'll last till the end of time.

Not had any problems with the quality of the Bagaboo I have -the inner is truck tarp, so it's pretty damn waterproof, and bloody hard wearing. I think most messenger bags look the same, but Tamas is an ex-messenger who designed the bag he'd like to use. They do work out expensive when you add all the bits you want, but f*ck me it's a great bag. You're more than welcome to have a look at mine sometime if you want! :)

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I have the Berghaus Freeflow 20l. Would prob be too small for you but they have larger sizes e.g. 30 litre model. Looks like RRP is 75 euro.

It has an arched back so that the majority of the bag is not on your back. The newer versions have mesh straps for even more ventilation.

I really like the bag. I can jog with it - the waist strap keeps the bag in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Raam wrote: »
    Small Deuter
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18428

Medium Deuter
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18435

I also have a large Deuter, but that's neither here nor there :) I like Deuter, I do.

Anyway, the small one can be extended so that it fits a bit more in. You can just make out the zip at the edge of the bag. I currently have a large beach towel and pair of jeans jammed in there. You could get a t-shirt, jocks, socks in there at a squash. It comes with a rain cover. I think most Deuter do. One thing to note: the small zipped utility pockets are exactly that...small. They could do with being bigger, but that is a minor gripe.

The second bag, will take the same plus shoes. The zipped utility pockets are a good size.

That small deuter looks like what I'm after - what do you reckon raam? - i need to carry a pair of shoes, change of clothes (shirt, trousers, jocks & socks) & a couple of bits and pieces like arm/leg warmers and overshoes/oversocks.

That small deuter looks like what I'm after - what do you reckon raam? - i need to carry a pair of shoes, change of clothes (shirt, trousers, jocks & socks) & a couple of bits and pieces like arm/leg warmers and overshoes/oversocks.

What's the mesh like at the back of that bag - does it keep it completely off your back or is it sort of integrated in to the bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

i use a 14L deuter. Shoes are a bit of a squash but i leave them under my desk in work.

I think it would be a tight squeeze. Depends how big your shoes are, to be honest.

The mesh is great as it lifts the bag off your back.

I think they have them in Greatoutdoors, so you could check them out for size there, if you are in Dublin.

Raam wrote: »
    I think it would be a tight squeeze. Depends how big your shoes are, to be honest.

The mesh is great as it lifts the bag off your back.

I think they have them in Greatoutdoors, so you could check them out for size there, if you are in Dublin.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Has anybody tried those Ortleib messenger backpacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I've just had one of these Deuter 30litre rucksacks delivered today and have to say it's a very impressively made piece of kit.

It is very BIG though, bigger than I had expected, but I never mind carrying a bag on the back so always prefer to err on the side of getting one bigger than I normally need just so I have it there when needed (e.g. going to football from work needs 2 sets of gear). It's quite light for the size of it and only problem would be for someone short as it would hit the back of the helmet.

Raam - how do Deuter bags stand up in rain when you've forgotten to put the rain cover on (which I'll do sometime no doubt) and are the inner pockets waterproof without the rain cover?

• Advertisement

Raam - how do Deuter bags stand up in rain when you've forgotten to put the rain cover on (which I'll do sometime no doubt) and are the inner pockets waterproof without the rain cover?

Generally the bag material is fine, it's the zips that leak, so stuff will get damp, but it won't get soaked. Sometimes my stuff gets damp even with the raincover, as water can find it's way into anything. Overall, no real problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I've got a Knog Messenger bag, large.
    http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360031993&N=Knog%20Baksak%20Large%20Messenger%20Bag

I'm quite happy with it ! It's one of the cheaper messenger bags, but is still a good large size. plenty of room for shoes, clothes and tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

I just have a bogstandard backpack. I wear it on my front, spanish student style. This keeps your front warm, and allows your back to breathe. I also find it helps when cycling with heavy stuff, your centre of gravity is closer to your core. I also have things in the front pockets for easy access when stopped at lights or cycling along.

Slacks are much lighter than jeans. I usually cycle to the local dunnes once a week during lunch and stock up with stuff for the full week. i.e. come in monday and empty the bag of trousers, t-shirts etc, then head to dunnes with an empty bag and load it up with lunches, well heavy stuff anyway.

The odd time I would be out on a weekend spin passing by so take lots of stuff too, I have keys so can drop it in. When out on the weekend I do not care if I am sweating heavily since I will be off home after.

Surely there is somewhere in work to store your jeans etc, we have presses full of cleaning stuff etc, I could stick it in a bag in there if I needed, I can think of several places I could put them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    No not tried paniers. Will look into them.

Well, I highly recommend paniers - I wouldn't go back to a backpack myself now that I've done them.

I can also do a week's shopping and fit them into my panier set (just a crap set I got at Halford's for €50) and I STILL don't notice any difference in my ride. I've saved a mint in taxis home from the shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Just for anyone referencing this thread - I have to say this Deuter 30 litre backpack I got is a great bag. It can take plenty (though I now realise 20 litres would have been too small for me) when maxed out but can compact a good bit too when needed.

When I first used it it hit the back of my helmet, but a quick adjustment to the top of the straps and I have to say I barely feel it on my back at all and the air stripe system does mean I sweat less than with a normal bag, though its not a miracle worker.

I haven't been out in a downpour in it yet (won't be long with this weather I reckon), but it looks like the raincover gives it great protection (and also has a reflective logo on it) so I'd say it suits my needs perfectly and was worth it.

I ended up going for an even smaller one. 10L. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18426

It's great though - shoes are a tight squeeze (with other stuff) but I've just started leaving them in work.

I drive in once or twice a week so I can bring most of the stuff in and out in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thesunwashot

The chrome citizen is a great bag. I'd defo recommend it. It is really well made, totally waterproof and easily big enough for a commute. I find it sits much better than the rucksacks I previously had. It can be tightly secured without being totally clamped to you. With a rucksack, tight generally means clamped to your back.

If you do go with the messenger bag option just make sure there is an extra securing strap in addition to the main strap. On the chrome the extra strap goes under your arm so that the bag is secured to whichever shoulder you wear it on (you have to choose the shoulder you will wear it on when you buy the bag). Without this strap the bag is free to slilde about in a dangerous way.

Advertisement