Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a helicopter?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

If you’re thinking about getting into the hobby, I would ask you to first find a local club that fly’s helis as they will be able to help you out in setting up the heli along with possible training with a buddy box. Ask them also what they recommend from their own experiences.. If you go it alone, you will find yourself repairing a lot more than if you had help. Also try buy from a good RC shop (either online or local), these guys specialize in what they sell and can offer help.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

electric is a lot less hassel the nitro, plus much quieter, so I would recomend an electric.

Got this one for my dad, its a decent size, and it has symetrical blades for 3D flight.
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/9416

It comes with 2 800mAh LiPo's and a blanace charger, you will need a 12volt power supply for the charger, it comes with clips to attach it to a car battery.
    You won't find anything even close to its performance or spec for the price here, cost me $195 shipped, and then around €40 for customs I think.

But before I bought anything I would take Syl77's suggestion and drop down to some clubs, Ireland is a windy place and they will be able to help you with suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

electric is a lot less hassel the nitro, plus much quieter, so I would recomend an electric.

Got this one for my dad, its a decent size, and it has symetrical blades for 3D flight.
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/9416

It comes with 2 800mAh LiPo's and a blanace charger, you will need a 12volt power supply for the charger, it comes with clips to attach it to a car battery.
    You won't find anything even close to its performance or spec for the price here, cost me $195 shipped, and then around €40 for customs I think.

But before I bought anything I would take Syl77's suggestion and drop down to some clubs, Ireland is a windy place and they will be able to help you with suggestions.

What frequency does the radio gear use on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

it will depend on where it is bought, the link shows dollars so I would say 72mhz which means the radio needed to fly this heli should be 72mhz also.
    This type of heli is very light and is mainly flown indoors, the slightest wind outdoors means you will be fighting with the controlls alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

syl77 wrote: »
    it will depend on where it is bought, the link shows dollars so I would say 72mhz which means the radio needed to fly this heli should be 72mhz also.
    This type of heli is very light and is mainly flown indoors, the slightest wind outdoors means you will be fighting with the controlls alot.

72Mhz is illegal in Ireland. It must be 35Mhz to 35.250Mhz. (for flying) (or unlicensed 2.4Ghz.)

I'm not sure the implications of using 72Mhz but I had a plane that was using 27Mhz which is what toys and cordless phones run on. So a kid could have taken me out of the air basically and I don't think I would have been able to use it in a club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

27Mhz which is what toys and cordless phones run on

Hey we use 27 for land based RC......... toys indeed:p

I haven't go a clue what freq it is, must check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

you wouldn't be interested in a 450 size would you? i.e a Trex 450, its bigger than the 400 size.

I think all aircraft models in ireland should be 35mhz or 2.4ghz, I wouldn't chance using other freq, being illegal is one thing, getting interference is worst.

even on 35mhz, some transmitter still get interfere from CB radio, I had that happen to me before, almost lost the bird, switched to 2.4GHz since then.

Advertisement