Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCD Tripping in Consumer Unit

Options
  • 30-06-2008 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hi,

Just looking for some advice. Would anyone know why an RCD would be tripping when I try and open electric gates. Once I try to open gates the RCD trips - the gates has it's own MCB. This has only started to happen over the past week. Is there anything that I can do I do I need to bring back the gate installers?Tks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

coxy123 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just looking for some advice. Would anyone know why an RCD would be tripping when I try and open electric gates. Once I try to open gates the RCD trips - the gates has it's own MCB. This has only started to happen over the past week. Is there anything that I can do I do I need to bring back the gate installers?Tks.

Well if you've narrowed it down to the gates, which it looks like you have, some of the current going out on the live wire must not be coming back on the neutral, ie an earth fault. As its an out-door installation the first thing i would check has water got in anywhere? Into any of the electrical junctions / electronics or motor.

If the gates are under warranty i would get the installers back...

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Tks. for the quick response. The gates are in now for 4 years, so there will be a maintenance charge etc. at this stage. When you are talking about water 'getting in', would I need to lift up the plates and have a look there and would any water be noticeable or would I need special equip. to test etc. Tks. for the assistance with this...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 51fun

also check any visable cabling for signs of damage.
    it could be a moisture issue that is causing the problem(as dublindilbert stated) but generally this kind of instalations are well sealed i.e connections e.t.c are enclosed in a high ip rating enclousure.

coxy123 wrote: »
    When you are talking about water 'getting in', would I need to lift up the plates and have a look there and would any water be noticeable or would I need special equip.

It would be worth have a quick visual inspection, just incase its something really silly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

If the gate motors are the under ground type the boxes that they are installed in may simply be full of water. There is a drain hole in the bottom of these boxes, it may be blocked.

If it only trips when the gate motors are activated it suggests that the earth fault is in one of the motors rather than in the control box.

BTW electric gates are not normally on an RCD. In general RCDs are used to protect socket circuits and instantanious showers in a domestic installation and not fixed appliences such as electric gates.

• Advertisement

fishdog wrote: »
    If the gate motors are the under ground type the boxes that they are installed in may simply be full of water. There is a drain hole in the bottom of these boxes, it may be blocked.

If it only trips when the gate motors are activated it suggests that the earth fault is in one of the motors rather than in the control box.

BTW electric gates are not normally on an RCD. In general RCDs are used to protect socket circuits and instantanious showers in a domestic installation and not fixed appliences such as electric gates.

Thanks for all the suggestions...The gate installers are due out to-day so I will let you know how I get on.I would not be experienced enough to look at this I think!

fishdog wrote: »

I was going to say the same thing... but maybe it's a good thing its on the RCD as he might never of know about the fault if it hadn't been...

Issue was related to a junction box, which was replaced(due to moisture) with a better IP rated junction box. Installer said that the better quality one should have been used first time around anyway. Do you think I should argue this pt. with him when he comes to invoice, bearing in mind the gates are 4 years installed??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Do you think I should argue this pt. with him when he comes to invoice, bearing in mind the gates are 4 years installed??
    I would. It would seem that when he did the job the correct type of junction box was not used.

DublinDilbert:
    I was going to say the same thing... but maybe it's a good thing its on the RCD as he might never of know about the fault if it hadn't been...
    True, but the best would be to have it on its own RCBO. In this situation gate issue could mean no sockets in your house if you do not know about turning RCDs back on, many people dont (e.g. my mother!)

Advertisement