Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How will they remove the M50 barriers?

Options
  • 30-06-2008 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

This might seem like a nerdy question but I'm curious as to how the NRA or whoever it is, are going to physically remove the entire toll plaza?

As far as I know, the entire thing is due to be completely gone by the end of August but it's hardly something that can be tore down overnight. I also don't know how they could remove it in pieces as you can see the roof stretches across all lanes. Plus I'm betting the surface underneath the booth's will have to be dug up or smoothed over to get rid of any cables or pipes or anything of that nature.

Are they going to redirect all the traffic off the M50 then back onto it further up?

Just curious as to how they're going to get rid of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This might seem like a nerdy question but I'm curious as to how the NRA or whoever it is, are going to physically remove the entire toll plaza?

As far as I know, the entire thing is due to be completely gone by the end of August but it's hardly something that can be tore down overnight. I also don't know how they could remove it in pieces as you can see the roof stretches across all lanes. Plus I'm betting the surface underneath the booth's will have to be dug up or smoothed over to get rid of any cables or pipes or anything of that nature.

Are they going to redirect all the traffic off the M50 then back onto it further up?

I would imagine its probably a 2 lane at a time thing, as in remove two booths and the sub and above structure. Tar-mac then move onto the next. No Big deal they did manage to keep the redcow moving ish.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I'll do it, in fact I'd pay to do it!!!!
    Excuse me mr.foreman wheres the keys to the bulldozer?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I think you'll have to pick a number and join the queue (pun intended) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I'd say the building and lanes will remain, they'll just remove the barriers and replace them with cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

There's 4 lanes, but 6 booths (I think) in each direction. They'll probably keep the main structure and fit the ANPR cameras in it. They'll direct the four lanes through 4 booths, remove the first two booths, redirect two lanes through where the two booths had been removed, remove the next two booths, can you see where I'm going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

They can't keep the structure as it is. It would be unsafe to travel throught it at 100Kph. What's the point in removing the barriers if you still have to slow down to get through it.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

That's true actually, I had forgotten about that. The plan is that you will be able to drive at motorway speeds without having to stop and pay the toll. That can't be done if the booths etc are still there.

Also, that's what the new e-flow system is for. Once that is running, there will be no need for toll booths.

http://eflow.ie/home/default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

http://eflow.ie/home/default.aspx

Quote from site " Where? Near the current toll plaza which will be removed"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I'd say they'll reduce the number of lanes using a coned system diverting traffic into the outside booth .Then they will knock a couple of booths first in the middle, once these are done then the plaza does not need to be so wide. They coudl take their time doing the outside ones then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Dynamite...only way to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Slig wrote: »
    I'll do it, in fact I'd pay to do it!!!!
    Excuse me mr.foreman wheres the keys to the bulldozer?:D

+1

It would actually be great if they would just let people who've spent weeks/months of the life queueing at it to have a crack at knocking it down :D

There must be at least 100,000 people, so everyone would have to do very little...

They've put up new gantries over the road between the existing plazza and the N3 blanch exit. I presumed these would be for the camera system.

I think they should have some type of charity auction. People bid and if they win they get to swing a sledgehammer or something at the toll plaza to help take it down. Or drive a bulldozer into part of it or something.

All the money raised can go to a charity/charities. And by that, I don't mean it goes into the "NRA we need money to build a replacement toll booth" charity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Quote from the e flow website;

"This system will enable you to pass through the toll at the legal speed limit, thereby eliminating driver stress and frustration."

That means 75mph if its motorway speed.It has to be completely removed in order for this to work.The toll will probably be replaced with an overhead gantry across the entire road with cameras hanging off it.

The overhead gantry is already there I think, but I don't know if the cameras and stuff have been fitted. If you are heading northbound on the M50 about 500 yards past the toll booths you will see a large grey bridge looking thing over the top of the motorway covering all lanes. That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The max speed limit on the M50 when all works are finished will be 100km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Haven't been up in Dublin in ages, haven't seen the new gantries yet, but anything would be better than the way the m50 was.The prices are typically rip off republic aren't they? They charge you 40 euro for just setting up an account, then 1 euro a month "administration fee" for the tag!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

The overhead gantry is already there I think, but I don't know if the cameras and stuff have been fitted. If you are heading northbound on the M50 about 500 yards past the toll booths you will see a large grey bridge looking thing over the top of the motorway covering all lanes. That's it.

The cameras and anpr equipment has been there for the past month or two. Im sure they are probably running the system in trial mode at the moment so that there are no issues when going live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

It'll be a historic event almost as momenteous as the Berlin Wall coming down, but d'ya think there'll be a scramble to grab bits of it as souvenirs though.... not me anyway, after this months bill for €120 I dont want to see sight nor sign of the thing again, and it's a shame the toll itself isn't going as well.

Those gantries with I presume a camera for each lane, I wonder if you would 'beat the system' if you're in the middle of changing lane under the gantry.

And I wonder if their technology reads square plates, I presume it does in order to read motorcycle plates.

The €40 to set up an account AFAIK is your first prepay credit to your troll account, in effect covering your first €40 worth of passes under the cameras (unless they do take some of it as an actual once off administration charge, but I dont think so).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

Omcd wrote: »
    The €40 to set up an account AFAIK is your first prepay credit to your troll account, in effect covering your first €40 worth of passes under the cameras (unless they do take some of it as an actual once off administration charge, but I dont think so).
    Anyone know this for sure, on the site it says "Please note that your account will be charged the Initial Start-Up Amount of €40 in August 2008"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Maybe all of Ireland should descend on the barriers/booths with pick axes just like the fall off the Berlin Wall.........................momentum time in Irish history!:D

It was oppressive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

fletch wrote: »
    Anyone know this for sure, on the site it says "Please note that your account will be charged the Initial Start-Up Amount of €40 in August 2008"

They should have a link from the Motor tax websites. If we are going paying for the same thing twice then they might as well have them linked somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Slig wrote: »
    They should have a link from the Motor tax websites. If we are going paying for the same thing twice then they might as well have them linked somewhere.
    It credit i.e prepay

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Omcd wrote: »

And I wonder if their technology reads square plates, I presume it does in order to read motorcycle plates.

I think it was mentioned here, that they are only going to read front number plates, hence motor bikes will be free as they don't have one....

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kingcurls

if there is no barriers and you can travel at 100kmph through them then how are ya supposed to pay like me for example i dont live in dublin so i dont have an eflow thing setup or even a creditcard...or foreign people coming down from the airport or even just driving around?? anyone know how they plan on making you pay??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

I wonder what will happen if the cameras can't read your license plate due to it being dirty, obscured etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

How do you pay if you do not have a credit card?
    I only use it about 6 times a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

preilly79 wrote: »
    I wonder what will happen if the cameras can't read your license plate due to it being dirty, obscured etc?
    There will be serious fines of up to e5000 for non standard and dirty / illegible number plates and the possibility of including it with penalty points. This is to co enside with with the introduction of unmanned Electronic toll charges and ANPR cameras (Automatic Numberplate recognition). Cops have taken it lightly up until this but will now have to take this more seriously.

At present there are 50 traffic corps cop cars driving around Dublin city fitted with ANPR cameras that can pick out any illegible plates in moving traffic.

This will be your typical unmanned toll plasa gantry dotted with RFID E-tag receivers, CCTV and ANPR cameras. NO car will escape being detected passing under one of these. All this data will be retained and made available to the US and European authorities.

Westpark_Tollway.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Traumadoc wrote: »
    How do you pay if you do not have a credit card?
    I only use it about 6 times a year.

In cash in shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

kingcurls wrote: »
    if there is no barriers and you can travel at 100kmph through them then how are ya supposed to pay like me for example i dont live in dublin so i dont have an eflow thing setup or even a creditcard...or foreign people coming down from the airport or even just driving around?? anyone know how they plan on making you pay??

By fining you if you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

I think it was mentioned here, that they are only going to read front number plates, hence motor bikes will be free as they don't have one....

A fair few trucks have square plates on the front, I wonder will these be read or will they be made illegal ?

Advertisement