Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimension 5150 desktop power problem

Options
  • 30-06-2008 9:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

I installed a new ethernet card for my desktop but now when i plug the power cord back in and try to turn on the computer nothings happens.

A steady green light comes up on the motherboard as soon as the cord is plugged back in, but that's it. No fans come on, no beeping, nothing.

I think it might be a problem with the actual power button or maybe the power supply but i'm not sure.

Anyone experienced something like this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

have you removed the ethernet card since?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 marcusb

Yeah, i removed the card after first seeing there was a problem but it didn't make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

depending on what happened while the case was open you could have shorted something? Always possible.

Unfortunately the only thing I can think of is remove the CMOS battery and reset the BIOS using the jumper on the motherboard: usually located near the battery. (or was that reset with the cmos battery still in? I cant recall..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 marcusb

Overheal wrote: »
    depending on what happened while the case was open you could have shorted something? Always possible.

Unfortunately the only thing I can think of is remove the CMOS battery and reset the BIOS using the jumper on the motherboard: usually located near the battery. (or was that reset with the cmos battery still in? I cant recall..)

Yeah, i had a good look at the motherboard and saw where the jumper is near the CMOS battery.

I've never done something like that before though. What ACTUALLY happens if i reset the BIOS?

Advertisement