Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holidays taken

Options
  • 30-06-2008 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

I was recently out for 4 days. i marked it as hospital appointment as i was going for surgery. i didnt get a note for it and now my boss is changing it form hospital and taking it out of my holidays.

what can i do about this>?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Here you go -
    If you are in employment and have to take time out of your day to attend a hospital appointment, you may take this time off work. You must have a medical certificate from the hospital for the appointment. However, you are not automatically entitled to pay for this time off while attending hospital appointments. Some employers however will pay their employees while they attend hospital appointments but they are not required by law to do so. Check with your employer to find out the situation in your workplace.

Remember, your employer cannot force you to take annual leave to attend such hospital appointments.

From: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/leave-and-holidays/sick_leave/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Misticles wrote: »
    what can i do about this>?
    Nothing, you did not get the required documentation to back it up. At best you can ask for it to be unpaid leave as sick leave is not required to be paid by law.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Nody wrote: »
    Nothing, you did not get the required documentation to back it up. At best you can ask for it to be unpaid leave as sick leave is not required to be paid by law.

The OP had surgery...not just some appointment....I cannot believe people do not get sick leave to have surgery:(

OP why not get documentation from GP/Hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

i sorted out the cert, thats all good. but now i was actually out sick for a day, and he the boss took it off my holidays. can he do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

i sorted out the cert, thats all good. but now i was actually out sick for a day, and he the boss took it off my holidays. can he do that?

Same question - did you get a cert for it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

How many sick days have you taken so far this year?

Advertisement